What have you seen recently?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Tonyblack said:
VesuvianRuin said:
Tonyblack said:
'Time Bandits' :laugh:
Now that is a cracking film, one of the best non-Monty Python films ever! Gilliam was definitely inspired on that one and let his imagination run riot!
Yes, I love it too - but prefer Brazil, which is my all time favourite movie. :laugh:
Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen Brazil. Baron Munchausen was goo too.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I am sorry and embarrassed to say that I watched a film this afternoon called 'Ninja Cheerleaders'

On first hearing the title I thought it must be something decidedly dodgy but no it wasn't. What it was was a very bad film. Despite the fact that it starred George Takei, hence my interest in watching it.

In a nutshell it's about three college girls who are cheerleaders by day, gogo dancers by evening and ninjas by night.:eek:

You've heard of 'B' movies, well, this was more like 'Z'. I am still wondering now why such a great actor like George Takei agreed to do this piece of film making rubbish. When this was made, he'd already done series 1 of Heroes!

A thorough waste of an hour and half.

Hangs head in shame :oops:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: Well I have to say that it sounds like it's either going to be really good or goddam awful. Maybe George thought the same when he conracted to play the part.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Tonyblack said:
:laugh: Well I have to say that it sounds like it's either going to be really good or goddam awful. Maybe George thought the same when he conracted to play the part.
No excuse, he read the script first! And I should know better than to watch something with a title worthy of a XXX film.

nevermind

Jul 25, 2008
VesuvianRuin said:
You've heard of 'B' movies, well, this was more like 'Z'. I am still wondering now why such a great actor like George Takei agreed to do this piece of film making rubbish. When this was made, he'd already done series 1 of Heroes!

Hangs head in shame :oops:
I'm always mindful of Michael Caine, when asked why he never turned a part down and did some really bad films... and he answered ... such and such film paid for my house in California, and this one paid for my house in London... etc etc

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
SapphireForgeCat said:
Loved Caspian too. I'm a long time fan of the books and i'm amazed at how well this movie was done.. Better than 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' imo.. I also think in some ways the movie was better than the book. ~gasp~. It is NOT often i even like a movie based on a book so for me to say this is quite something. I preferred the way the children were portrayed in the movie.. Especially Peter and Susan. I just wish a Pratchett movie could get this kind of budget.. But i'm sure it will one day. I'm thrilled to hear they're Working on 'Voyage of the Dawn Treader' next..
I'll be gutted if they don't make A Horse and His Boy or The Magician's Nephew. I wouldn't be so upset if The Last Battle was missed out, but I really want to see Bree and Shasta on the big screen.

I'm a regular at my local cinema. I go see a film most Saturdays. Saw The X-Files this Saturday past and Wall-E before that. Both lived up to expectations.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I watched an odd movie called 'Hurly Burly'. A friend of mine gave me one of those 'Great Value 4 DVD Movies' inna box. You know the sort, there's usually one movie you've heard of and the rest are really obscure. Well I had high hopes on this one as it stars Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey and Meg Ryan - as well as several others and it's based on an award winning stage play... o_O

Well after about half an hour I was ready to switch it off and not bother, but I did go back to it and it wasn't quite as dreadful as I first thought. But it certainly wasn't great and although it's described as a hilarious black comedy, I found nothing whatsoever to laugh about.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Still working my way through these four DVDs and today watched the Australian movie 'Chopper'. Certainly not one for the faint hearted. The acting is superb and Eric Bana is completely believeable and very scary as real life psychopath Mark Bandon "Chopper" Read.

But this is an uncomfortable movie to watch as the characters are not even slightly likeable.

I just went over to the IMDB forums for the movie and yet again I am amazed at the stupidity of some of the people that post there. One guy was argueing that the Australian accent was too hard to understand and they should have made it using American English and another guy thought it was an 'Austrian' film and was going on about Hitler.

I've really got to stop visiting IMDB forums. :rolleyes:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
I've really got to stop visiting IMDB forums. :rolleyes:
You should, you'll just make yourself all tense!

I just saw Mamma Mia, mainly because everyone kept telling me I should... and it was OK. I think older people would prefer it (I'm 36 so older than me!).

Saw Wall-e as well & cried :oops: loved it!

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
VesuvianRuin said:
I am still uncomfortable with Christian Bale being Batman, there just seems to be something missing but I can't put my finger on it.
Is it because when he's Batman he talks like Barry White?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The third of this four movie DVD set was 'Taxi' a French movie written by Luc Besson (Leon, The Fifth Element). I really, really enjoyed it. It's a silly car chase movie, but it's great and the ending had me in stitches. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter