What is your favourite TV-Series

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
Cheery said:
WHY DON'T THEY SHOW IT ON GERMAN TV???
The scene with the Daleks saying Exterminaten, Exterminaten in one episode was hilarious!!

I love Eureka too, and

The Gilmore Girls (mmmm, Luke)
Buffy/Angel
The Star Treks
Monk
Golden Girls
Family Guy
American Dad
Medium
Dexter
Bones
NCIS
CSI (Vegas and New York. Miami can go jump)
Charmed
Doctor Who
Torchwood (didn't watch the first series, but tuned in for the second because James "Spike" Marsters was going to be in it :oops: and stayed with it. Children of Earth was tremendous television)
Diagnosis Murder (Dick van Dyke is a god)
Murder She Wrote (a guilty pleasure)
Colombo (also a guilty pleasure)

and many, many more, plus I've just ordered the S1-S3 boxset of Supernatural - a bargain on Amazon for under thirty quid.

Oh, and don't forget the televisual experience that was Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, etc, etc, etc!!

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
Uberwaldleedsgothamerbyshire
For the TV series that would be:

Battlestar Galactica (new one, of course)
Firefly
Lexx
X Files
Rome
Northern Exposure
Robin of Sherwood (with Pread only!)
MP's Flying Circus :laugh:
The Muppet Show
and even The Fraggle Rock (always had a soft spot for Doozers, me)

might have forgotten one or two but that's what age does to you.

Almost all the panel/quiz shows even including University Challenge as Paxman rulz!

And of course Top Gear with Clarkson being the brightest star on the Beeb's firmament. Although James May has definitely the best solo shows outside TG. Hamster's expendable.

Kahlan

Nov 5, 2009
Where to begin...

Spaced
Star Trek TOS and TNG
Dexter
League of Gentlemen
Arrested Development
South Park
True Blood
House
Firefly
Lost (although I want so much to hate it)
Heroes (although it is mostly rubbish, Sylar makes it)
Family Guy
The Inbetweeners

I watch far too much TV

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
In no particular order:
Danger Mouse
Terrahawks
Doctor Who
Frasier
Dexter
NCIS
Criminal Intent (Law & Order)
Benidorm
Murder One (The 1996 Stevel Bochco original serial, not the following series)

Morty

Corporal
Nov 17, 2009
I've not had a TV set for 3 years. I hardly turned it on when I had one.
Too many things to do and that was before I joined the forum 8)

The only thing I miss is important football matches and a good friend records them for me. I just go out of circulation so I don't know what the score was.

As for the rest;

X Factor
Britain’s best personality Ice Dancer
Show Business personalities in the Jungle
Big (Lets make complete Pratts of ourselves) Brother
Endless repeats and The Queens Speech

Nah I don't miss it.

I'm a bit hit and miss with telly shows, I almost never see them on first run and usually end up downloading series, streaming episodes when I remember to, or buying boxed sets. The stuff I like enough to watch regularly or buy on DVD is shorter than I thought it would be.

Stuff I own:
House of Cards trilogy
Firefly
Band of Brothers
Dinnerladies
The Royle Family
Early Doors
Blackpool

Stuff I like(d) enough to watch properly, on first showing or on their repeat showings on various Sky channels:
Q.I.
Gilmore Girls (Shakes head vigorously, to avoid catatonia induced by excessive contemplation of Lauren Graham)
Doctor Who
Kingdom (BOOO to ITV for cancelling it.:( )
Sharpe
The Sweeney
Jeeves & Wooster
Red Dwarf
Buffy
Angel
The Muppet Show
Dungeons & Dragons
Just about any Cosgrove Hall animation from the 80's or early 90's. Duckula, Dangermouse, Victor & Hugo, The Wind in the Willows, Truckers, Chorlton and the Wheelies, Jamie and the Magic Torch...

-EDIT- I forgot to mention the only series I'm currently watching, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The writing is corny, the voice acting is cheesy, the animation is a bit cheap looking, but... you know... Star Wars!

Apr 29, 2009
London
Phoenix said:
Another one I forgot to mention was Supernatural :laugh: I've only really got into it this year, but it amuses me :laugh:
Bought the Supernatural S1-S3 boxset last week.

A bit of advice - don't watch 13 episodes back-to-back, then expect a good night's sleep! :eek:

Dandelion

Lance-Constable
Nov 19, 2009
Germany
hmmm... favourite series right now are:

Life on Mars - I was growing up in the 70s, so even as it plays in Great Britain, I still find many loving memories in that series..

Heroes - switching the characters from hero to villian and back again is really nice.. many holes in the plot, but it's supposed to be fun, not science..

Taking the Flak - Just awesome funny.. and wonderfully political incorrect

Spooks - Awesome, too.. way better than any US series about secret service activities..

Burn Notice - that's a good US secret service series.. although it's more of an action comedy..

and among so many others were the Blackadders, Primeval, Torchwood, Monty Python (if you could call that a series..)

What I'd love to see - but it was never shown on german TV - is 'allo 'allo
Had a glimpse at one episode many years ago, while visiting a friend who was working for the british army in germany. Of course I could get me the series on DVD - but it's about 120,- Euros and I'm not sure if I would want to risk that money on a one episode impression...

And, away from the thread's title, here's my candidate for "worst series EVER by far" - Harper's Island
The plot is absolutely unrealistic and without any trace of logic...

Apr 29, 2009
London
I loved Harper's Island. It was absolute tosh - so bad it was great!!

We had endless hours of fun on the BBC messageboards, speculating as to who the killer was, and what weird way the next person to be killed would die!

I still want to know what happened to the dog! :laugh:

Allo Allo is brilliant. Watch a few bits on YouTube before deciding whether to spend all that money.

User Menu

Newsletter