What would you recommend?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

ysabell

Aug 18, 2008
derbyshire
farmers

swreader said:
What about farmers, specifically harvesters, who start with Reaper Man? :laugh:
im a farmer girl and i really did enjoy reaper man, but i do love death he's my favourite character. the combine harvester made me giggle :laugh:
as for books to start with, i started with mort and it got me hooked, im dreading the day terry stops writing.
[/quote]

snapcase72

Lance-Constable
Aug 24, 2008
Lofoten, Norway
I would recommend Small Gods, Guards! Guards!, Equal Rites or Sourcery. They're quite easy to get into, and VERY worthwhile novels.

I agree on not recommending COM or LF. I found them a little hard to get the hang off, they didn't spur my interest at first...I finished Guards! Guards! and Equal Rites before COM and LF. Since then, of course, I've read them quite a few times!

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I started with TCOM not least of all because I'm a purist (or obsessively compulsive), but I should also state that I had broke up from a serious relationship at the time and was throwing myself into a world of books.

I needed something to escape to. It looked strange and I found this to be sufficiently wierd that if anyone asked about it, I'd just receive blank stares in return to my answer and be allowed to continue with my reading(/hiding from reality).

As it happened when I was done I found myself saying "Oh yes please, I'll have another one, thank you. Oh and one... several after that."

elvedhel

Aug 19, 2008
i guess being the awkward git i am, what wouldnt you recommend, what would you consider the weakest of the discworld books. i see no one has mentioned eric. one of the few disworld books that seems to stand totally alone.
i guess id have to look at one that introduces many of the favourite and much loved characters and of course for me it would have to be set in ankh morpork, feature death, rincewind, the mended/broken drum and a few guards and wizards to boot!

my personal faves are the death trilogy though oddly feet of clay covers quite a number of the above references

i guess any discworld book is pretty much a good introduction to the wonderful world of.. well the discworld

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Eric is an odd one as it was originally a sort of illustrated story in much the way Last Hero was - only by Josh Kirby rather that Paul Kidby. I don't think I'd ever recommend it to anyone as a first book - but it's enjoyable in its way and I've got a soft spot for the wossname... :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
mspanners said:
Well I would recommend any of the Rincewind or Watch books to a male reader or a Witches book if the reader is Female.

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-ord ... de-1-5.jpg

From the Lspace site a good guide to the order best read in for a given thread.
:laugh: You're on dangerous territory (Terry-tory ;) ) there! :laugh: I really don't think that it matter what sex you are. I know a lot of females who adore the Watch books and a load of males who are fans of the Witch books.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
You're on dangerous territory (Terry-tory ) there! I really don't think that it matter what sex you are. I know a lot of females who adore the Watch books and a load of males who are fans of the Witch books.
_

:laugh: To be Honest if I had picked up Wintersmith as a first read of a Discworld Novel I may not have gone back for a read of the rest, sorry if that sounds sexist but that just the way I am!! ;) Ya they are all good reads.......... but I still think Girls will like the Witch books and the Boys the Guards or Rincewind (or DEATH) Books more as an introduction to Discworld. I do... :eek:

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Reaper man is good, I do like some of the Witch Books (Carpe Jugulum is my fav in the series). I just find my self picking up the others if I fancy a read, although Witches Abroad makes me laugh..... the bit where the Golum frog like creature gets a smack on the head is very funny. :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I've just read this thread & I started with Equal Rites, that is the book that got me hooked on Terry Pratchett. Since reading that I did go back to the start & read them in sequence.
I think Nation is a good book to introduce someone to Terry's work.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tiffany said:
I've just read this thread & I started with Equal Rites, that is the book that got me hooked on Terry Pratchett. Since reading that I did go back to the start & read them in sequence.
I think Nation is a good book to introduce someone to Terry's work.
By the way - Terry has recently stated that he intends bringing Eskarina Smith from Equal Rites back in the next Tiffany book. :laugh:

I guess he's fed of people asking what became of her.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Tonyblack said:
By the way - Terry has recently stated that he intends bringing Eskarina Smith from Equal Rites back in the next Tiffany book. :laugh:

I guess he's fed of people asking what became of her.
Super, I did like that character, she would be a good friend for Tiffany :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Jinx said:
Didn't she teach @ UU when she grew up? Or was that wossname?

I shall have to re-read that one now.
Quote from Equal Rites.........Esk & Simon went on to develop a whole new type of magic that no-one could exactly understand but which nevertheless everyone considered very worthwhile & somehow comforting.......... By Terry Pratchett.

That was the end of their story. :laugh:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tiffany said:
Jinx said:
Didn't she teach @ UU when she grew up? Or was that wossname?

I shall have to re-read that one now.
Quote from Equal Rites.........Esk & Simon went on to develop a whole new type of magic that no-one could exactly understand but which nevertheless everyone considered very worthwhile & somehow comforting.......... By Terry Pratchett.

That was the end of their story. :laugh:
Thanks Tiff. I was going to look that out last night, I knew something was said about their future by the end of the book. I wound up working till late on several job applications and going straight to bed afterwords, but I'll maybe read it through again in full this afternoon or over the weekend.

User Menu

Newsletter