What would you recommend?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
cols said:
Andrasta said:
I'll follow Tonyblack's advice and read "Guards! Guards!" next.
:laugh: Welcome Andrasta and I hope you enjoy reading Gaurds Gaurds it's an excellent book
Hi Andrasta, welcome from me as well.

I've just finished Guards! Guards! for the second time. I enjoyed it.

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Tried to introduce my friend to the Discworld with Soul music once. Not sure why i chose that book, think it was because I just finished it myself and enjoyed it.
She didn't like it as much as me though, don't think she's read any more Terry Pratchet novels after that :(

Gave my father a collection of three witches books for christmas a few years ago.....he actually gave them back this year when he and my mom came with some books that I had left at home when I moved out as a teenager. (Yeah right, the books must have been left in that box by a mistake... Hmmph, do they think I'm blond on the inside as well???)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
To be honest I've given up trying to get people to read the books. Well, unless they say: "I want to read the Discworld books - where's a good place to start?"

Mind you, Sharlene and I did get Going PostaL as the library discussion book one month. Most of the people reading it enjoyed it and a few were determined to check out more Discworld. ;)

Andrasta

Feb 26, 2009
Porto
Hello Tiffany and cols! :)

I'll read "Guards! Guards!" as soon as I can.. I'm gonna check my town's library to see if they have the original edition (I don't like to read translated books and I'm not even sure if there are any discworld novels translated to portuguese)...

I kind of exceeded my budget for this month on some books :rolleyes: and still have to buy some more for college.. :oops:

malanur

Aug 18, 2009
Austria
Very interesting topic here...

elvedhel said:
i guess being the awkward git i am, what wouldnt you recommend, what would you consider the weakest of the discworld books. i see no one has mentioned eric. one of the few disworld books that seems to stand totally alone.
This strikes me because my first Discworld novel was Eric… and I actually used to recommend it to my friends as a good book to start with :eek:
Yes - I know XD But somehow it hooked me. I guess I felt like, well, interesting landscapes, --Rincewind-- and so on (and the people I knew back then probably weren’t so much into reading anyway so I somehow hoped that a book with an amount of 160 pages simply CANNOT put them off ;)) But I agree, there are definitely more suitable books for a start (though I would say it makes sense to start with one of the "classics")

As for the farmers and pharaoes and so on: I have a good friend who is theologian and to whom I gave Small Gods for a start. He so deserves (and certainly needs…) to be confronted with a completely different point of view every now and then :rolleyes:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Eric isn't such a bad book to start people with because it was originally written as an illustrated novel (with Josh Kirby). So there's nothing too complicated in there. It's funny and you get to meet Rincewind who will be a familiar face when people start to read the rest of the books.

And it's a parody and that's another trade mark of the earlier Pratchett books. I don't hate Eric, but it's not my favourite in the series, mainly because it's somewhat lightweight. :)

As for Small Gods - I used to know a Pratchett fan who was a devout Christian and actually used Small Gods to give talks on Christianity. It works quite well both ways.

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
I'll probably suggest Maskerade, or Wyrd Sisters. I think these two are good starters and would totally hook up the new reader.

For the Death series, I recommend Mort. I haven't read anything about Rincewind, and I'm not a big fan of the guards either. :oops:

Hm, this got me thinking. How did I start with the discworld. Well, it was with a girlfriend of mine, we were at the book market, and we saw these 10/15 books with these SUPERB covers/drawings. We totally loved them. The next day we both came to buy one of those books... And we both wanted Witches Abroad. And it was the last one. We fought and fought and fought and she won. Ahum, I mean, I have always been a gentleman, so I let her have it. 8) I ended up buying Equal Rites...

User Menu

Newsletter