whats your favourite non terry book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Magrat Garlick said:
My favourite Non Pratchett book ....

Wind In The Willows Kenneth Grahame

Will ALWAYS be my favourite over-all book - nothing I've read has overtaken this one.
It's my friend Lorraine's favourite book as well. I've tried to get her to read the Redwall books as they are somewhat similar (only with more battles :laugh: ) but she hasn't been persuaded yet.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Who's Wee Dug said:
Catch-up said:
The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris is great! Her other books are really good too.
Working my way through them Catch-up have yet to see the tv series.
I haven't seen it either, we don't have HBO. But, I just put a hold on the first season at the library. I have mixed feelings about watching it. Sometimes that can really ruin the way you visualize the stories.

Another great series is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Wendybird

Lance-Constable
Apr 9, 2009
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
The Stand
Stephen King

When I split from my hubby it was the only book I could afford (in charity shop for 50 pence)

It became my refuge, my release. I was going through a really crappy divorce and this book at that time was my only companion and became my way of escaping the pain.

The original copy is now so tatty I have left it on the shelf in peace as it deserves and bought a new one. Every time I read it I go back to the bad place but at the end I come back to what is now my Wonderful place!

I love this book and read it about once every year. It keeps my feet on the ground and reminds me of what could be and what can be.

Number 2 on the list of not TP books would be the Green Mile, again by Stephen King. OMG I cry so much at this series of books I look like a Panda!

Books are like that with intelligent people. After mommie dearest convinced my Dad to make me a ward of the state and send me to the Dominican Republic for 1 1/2 years, I found The Hobbit in the library, and Joy of Joys The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and managed to "fake" it into my schoolwork by writing reports of them. They helped me keep my sanity in what had become an insane world at the age of 15. I won't bore you with details but Hellish is a good frame of reference.

Escape is the best thing at times. Sometimes you have to deal with the crap, but there is nothing wrong with a little Journey to the Centre of the Mind. :laugh:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
:think: :think: o_O :think: I just can't decide between them. :(
The sword and The Elfstone of Shannara by Terry Brooks are deeply in my heart,very very deeply, but obviously I must mention The dragons of Autumn twilight/winter night/spring dawn and the twins trilogy by Weis-Hickman (the ones in which he's alive :oops: ) and The LofTheRings, and OceanoMare by Alessandro Baricco, his best book before he lost it, that I've loved for all my teen years. All this books together, I cannot choose. It would be like tearing my soul apart...

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
They helped me keep my sanity in what had become an insane world at the age of 15.
Escape is the best thing at times. Sometimes you have to deal with the crap, but there is nothing wrong with a little Journey to the Centre of the Mind. :laugh:
wow, it's so what i think too. Sometimes all you see around you sucks so much you just can't wait to fall back into your fantasy world, or world of fantasy for someone. It saves you from going mad... saves you from the bad kind of madness, i mean. :laugh:

Phoenix

Lance-Corporal
Oct 4, 2009
Hampshire, England
It's hard picking something as it really depends on my mood, but my favourite non-Terry book is probably the His Dark Materials trilogy. I read Northern Lights for the first time when I was 14 and loved it... I've lost count of how often I've read them now! Like TP, His Dark Materials are books I can re-read a lot without getting bored :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter