whats your favourite non terry book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Phoenix

Lance-Corporal
Oct 4, 2009
Hampshire, England
Ooops, I should probably remember that not everyone will have read my favourite books and include the author :p

The Golden Compass is an alternative name for the first book in the trilogy, which is also called Northern Lights. Book two is The Subtle Knife and Book three is The Amber Spyglass :)

Oh, and if you want to watch the film, do it before you read the book(s), it will only annoy you if you do it the other way around ;)

Taliesin

Lance-Constable
Oct 28, 2009
Very difficult to answer. Other favourites:

His Dark Materials
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabrial Garcia Marquez
Mr Cassini by Lloyd Jones
Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess
Various essays by Jorge Luis Borges
Grendel by John Gardner
Sheepshagger and Runt by Niall Grifffiths

Eoin Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' series always impressed me, but perhaps that's a tad childish for you all. I have to admit, with severe embarrassment, that I've not heard of many of the titles mentioned. I started reading Northern Lights, but I don't think I liked it much. That was years ago, though, so maybe I should get back to it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Quark said:
Eoin Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' series always impressed me, but perhaps that's a tad childish for you all. I have to admit, with severe embarrassment, that I've not heard of many of the titles mentioned. I started reading Northern Lights, but I don't think I liked it much. That was years ago, though, so maybe I should get back to it.
:laugh: I haven't heard of most of them either. :laugh:

Welcome to the site Quark! :laugh:

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
The Garpes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. The Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien. The Famished Road by Ben Okri. Life of Pi by Yann Martel. His Dark materials and The Edge CHronicles for Children.
(To name a few:)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
mystmoon said:
Chronicles of Narnia (before people pointed out all the meanings to me, that ruined it)
Me too! Especially in Dawn Treader where Eustace the dragon sloughs off several layers of scales - he was much better as a dragon and far more useful instead of useless! :laugh: ;)

Actually in retrospect C.S. Lewis is a very heavy-handed writer, whether it's for children or adults - The Screwtape Letters are about the best thing he did I think, as at least that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a immortality tale :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm said:
mystmoon said:
Chronicles of Narnia (before people pointed out all the meanings to me, that ruined it)
Me too! Especially in Dawn Treader where Eustace the dragon sloughs off several layers of scales - he was much better as a dragon and far more useful instead of useless! :laugh: ;)

Actually in retrospect C.S. Lewis is a very heavy-handed writer, whether it's for children or adults - The Screwtape Letters are about the best thing he did I think, as at least that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a immortality tale :laugh:
the ending of the last battle freaked me as well
SPOILER said:
I mean they all died! and then they were told it was all happy and stuff, and that they could see everyone again, and they weren't upset or worried about it, they were just like "oh we're dead. but we're in narnia! YEY!"
<----i don't want to ruin the ending for everyone

Temple_maiden

Lance-Corporal
Dec 31, 2010
It's a series for me - the Dragonrider series of books by Anne McCaffrey - heavily alluded to by Pterry in the CoM with HIS dragonriders.

I haven't read any of the more recent ones whch she wrote with her son, the reviews on Amazon are not very good - so I stick to the 'pure' ones.

User Menu

Newsletter