When will we get a proper Disc World movie?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

N1v3n

Lance-Constable
Mar 21, 2010
that London
Enough of the TV shows (where characters age, size, hair colour etc, do not seem to matter in the adaptation) when will we get a proper big budget Hollywood movie?

IMO Terry Gilliam would be ideal to direct.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
The thing about big-budget Hollywood movies is that they usually spend all the money for special effects and expensive actors and not very much of it for the story. o_O For a book adaptation I think a TV two-parter is a lot better. And they've done a brilliant job so far, I think.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Unfortunately if a big Hollywood (or other) producer got hold of the rights, I'm afraid the film would go the same way as the intended and non-existant films of Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, etc. In other words, lots of speculation, rumour, misinformation, good intentions, lack of decent funding etc. all of which resulting in no progress and a lot of frustration for the fans. :(

(Unless Tim Burton was to direct Night Watch with Johnny Depp in the role of Carcer, of course. ;))

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Penfold said:
Unfortunately if a big Hollywood (or other) producer got hold of the rights, I'm afraid the film would go the same way as the intended and non-existant films of Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, etc. In other words, lots of speculation, rumour, misinformation, good intentions, lack of decent funding etc. all of which resulting in no progress and a lot of frustration for the fans. :(

(Unless Tim Burton was to direct Night Watch with Johnny Depp in the role of Carcer, of course. ;))

If Burton gets Pratchett I wil declare all out war :x

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? o_O

Why do we 'need' a movie of Discworld?

Nope. Never. We don't need a big Hollywood movie, with the accompanying legal rubbish on avoiding Death references, the plastic McDonalds toys, the online slash fiction (oo-er), and so on. To be honest, not only would I rather a low-budget, two-part movie screened on television (thus avoiding the massive overpublicity and, on the part of people who hear I'm obsessed with it, branding me as jumping on the fanboy bandwagon) I would rather a six-part movie that didn't miss a single second of the book! :laugh:

This is one of the reasons I pray machinima never makes it to the movies. Television, yes. Probably.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Don't think global interest in the Discworld is enough for a full on Films like Lord of The Rings series of Films.

Terry's books are a niche interest, you need to understand the layout of the Disc in all its Political and Geographical ideas and so on to get the most out of them........my Son and Wife have both seen the TV shows and don't get some of the ideas behind things that happened in them and it is a pain to have to explain the ideas to them to make sense.

Indeed Terry has a lot of notes scattered around in His books that are there for the reader who may have picked up a Book out of sequence or to clear up any miss-understanding for the uninitiated. Hence the the descriptive voice-overs in the TV shows.... not sure if that would work in a full on Movie.

BUT I think another look at an animated series of shows based on the books would work, especially with today's technology.... look at Shrek! Get that team together and do the Books and it would work I think. :laugh:

May 5, 2010
I've just read throught the thread and had a shiver at the thought of McDonalds toys.

I know that the Clarecraft fiugres are rare and retired, but the are the only ones that are pure Discworld.

.... still collecting (and missing a lot)

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
I've seen that advert thousands of times and I still think it's absulutely brilliant! She's also on deviantart and she's a wonderful person and a huge talent when it comes to drawing and animating. And she's influenced me too. Did you know that she did this after only a year of school? :eek: That's bloody brilliant, come to think of it.

I really want to learn how to animate and do it professionally. It would be pretty much my dream job. :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter