When will we get a proper Disc World movie?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Tonyblack said:
Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? o_O
I'd say:
Shogun
The Teahouse of the August Moon
The Far Pavilions
and, I guess, The Secret Garden (1949)

All of these films followed the book very closely. In Shogun, you can actually read the dialogue in the books as the characters are speaking.

I thought the first two Harry Potter movies were pretty close to the book as well (except for the silly flying car scene in #2).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
kakaze said:
Tonyblack said:
Seriously - has there ever been a movie adaptation of a much loved book (or series of books) that the fans of the book have been 100% happy with? o_O
I'd say:
Shogun
The Teahouse of the August Moon
The Far Pavilions
and, I guess, The Secret Garden (1949)

All of these films followed the book very closely. In Shogun, you can actually read the dialogue in the books as the characters are speaking.

I thought the first two Harry Potter movies were pretty close to the book as well (except for the silly flying car scene in #2).
But Shogun wasn't a movie adaptation - it was a TV series over several weeks. That meant they had more time to do justice to the book. There was an attempt to make a movie of Tai Pan and it was awful. o_O

If I was given the choice between reading Shogun or watching the TV series - I'd read the book. It's much better - even if the TV series is a good adaptation. ;)

I can't speak for the others you mentioned because I haven't read the books or seen the adaptaions. But as to the Harry Potter movies - sure, they were pretty good adaptations, but were they as good as the books?

User Menu

Newsletter