Which is better for my Pirate fantasy fiction

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jan 23, 2014
Re: Paul Kirby doesn't like my Pirate world

Maybe he was really busy at the time. Maybe he didn't think he could do it justice. Maybe all kinds of things. I doubt it was personal as he doesn't know you.

L

lwhitehead

Well he still turned me down, well like I said I prove to him and others that my setting and novels are worthy of him,

LW

L

lwhitehead

type of coins used in my Golden Age pirate world

I need help with my coinage for my Golden Age of Piracy set in 21th Century timeframe setting world, in the Caribbean of this world a lot of different coins used in Port Lucre.

In fantasy specially D%D there are three type of coins Copper, Sliver and Gold. In Pirate fiction there Pieces of Eight which was the Spanish Dollar and the Doubloon the Gold and the Copper Reale

Help me please

LW

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: type of coins used in my Golden Age pirate world

What's your question? You have stated the types of coinage used - I'm not sure what you require. If it's a fantasy set on another world, you could make it up, couldn't you?

Also, I am moving these topics to the Non-Discworld Books section. Pleasde try and keep all your questions about the book to the one topic.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

lwhitehead said:
As you can see Grammer and spelling I am not very good at dispight being 39 and having Aspbergers, like one of the characters in Discworld I can't keep myself focus on one idea for very long.

The point I weas making is this Five years ago I inquired about him the doing the Artwork for my 17th Century 21th timeframe Pirate characters for my world, he turned me down flatly.

So now I'm trying to worthy for him my writing and world will be,

Example the Compass Rose

The Compass Rose as you know in our world is Nav aid, but in my world it's a type of Rose the grows on the Cuba like island that Port Lucre is on, this Rose known for it natural ability to point North this is due to the best way it has found to gather much light as possible from the Sun

Example GPS

The General Pixie System or GPS consists of a Winged Pixie siting a binnacle lamp near the pilot wheel of a ship and shout at the pilot which direction he is going on the sea or what type of landmark he is passing,

Also I ment the current Discworld artist,

LW
Don't want to sound unnecessarily cruel here, but why would an artist like Paul Kidby whose work is known the world over, have any interest at all in essentially doing spec work (unless you offered to pay him handsomely) for a (presumably) unfinished work by a (presumably) unknown writer, especially one whose native language isn't English?

People at his level receive hundreds of these kinds of unsolicited requests every year. Just as I'm sure Terry has received hundreds of unreadable manuscripts from first-time novelists hoping he'll read the work and become their champion. It just doesn't work that way. Finish your book/novel/whatever first and then try to get it published either by going through the traditional route (sending query letters to publishers, which is rarely effective) or self-publishing it (which anyone can do). And if you need illustration, I'm sure you can find plenty of unknown illustrators in your country who would be happy to work with you just for the exposure or for a small sum.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012

My guess is that lwhitehead wants suggestions for other kinds of coins. Just have copper-silver-gold is extremely simplistic. Pieces of Eight gives you eighths, quarters, and halves, which would give a total of six, which is the same number I'm used to handling in the 21st century - 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 (penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half-dollar (vanishingly rare in this area but sometimes they show up), and dollar coins (also not used much). That's still four types of coins even without the two relatively less-used ones. Even if only five or six monetary values are used, to make the game-story interesting they ought to have different names and values in different countries. I suggest using other languages and monetary systems. Rupees, yen, etc could have values different enough to cause conflict when dividing the loot, for instance, depending on whether the particular pirates are likely to go to a place where they could spend them. A speculator who plans to travel could offer a low exchange rate for ones people don't expect to use, and then travel to where the coins are worth more, and buy low-rated coins there, etc. Just by using honest exchange rates he could make money, at least enough to cover travel expenses. Free idea for the taking by everyone, I'm not a writer.

GAN

Constable
Nov 9, 2014
Russia, Moscow

raisindot I understand your words but for example in Russia it's a very very very big problem to publish anywhere if you're a) not someone's sister, brother or friend or b)don't write bad novels standard and boring. It's very pity and awful but... may be something like that is in other countries?..

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

GAN said:
raisindot I understand your words but for example in Russia it's a very very very big problem to publish anywhere if you're a) not someone's sister, brother or friend or b)don't write bad novels standard and boring. It's very pity and awful but... may be something like that is in other countries?..
That's not a uniquely Russian problem. For a first-time novelist to get any publisher at all to even look at a manuscript is a challenge, even if you do have a friend or brother or cousin who can get it into the hands of an agent or publisher. When I was shopping my novel around I a proposal to more than 40 agents and publishers and only 8 even wrote back. The four that were interested and looked at the finished ms. then made such stupid editorial demands and offered so little support in terms of marketing that I said to hell with it and self-published it on Amazon and Createspace.

GAN

Constable
Nov 9, 2014
Russia, Moscow
Re: Help with my idea for a Pirate novel series

Oh Monkey Island. The game of my youth! Love it very much and sometimes re-play it. As well as Baldur's Gate 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. :)

GAN

Constable
Nov 9, 2014
Russia, Moscow

And again I understand you.
I published my book with a print-om-demand publisher (he also works with Amazon).
But if there are any aencies in Russia I don't know them though I write and so long for years. Well I saw some offers for writers but it costs too much. Where do I get money and ways to publish if I need to publish to get them? Eh? And THAT'S a problem I think.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.

If writing and focus is a challenge, why don't you try working on some short stories first? And, instead of having people read them in their written form, why don't you try reading them aloud on YouTube. Singers get discovered this way, why not authors?

I'm sorry to say that, in the end, no one here can really help write your stories to the extent that you're looking for. They'll need to come from your own imagination.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.

Despite the challenges of publishing, no matter where you are, I think the important point here was that it was unrealistic to expect someone like Paul Kidby to illustrate an unknown author's (as of yet nonexistent) book. To say that it's just because he doesn't like it doesn't make any sense.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

GAN said:
And again I understand you.
I published my book with a print-om-demand publisher (he also works with Amazon).
But if there are any aencies in Russia I don't know them though I write and so long for years. Well I saw some offers for writers but it costs too much. Where do I get money and ways to publish if I need to publish to get them? Eh? And THAT'S a problem I think.
Self-publishing should cost you nothing. You can create Kindle versions for free and there's no cost to post them on Amazon. Createspace costs nothing to create your print-on-demand book; your only costs are if and when you want to print copies yourself. That's why millions of people have turned to self-publishing these days. Of course, 99.9% of all of these books are absolutely junk, but that the democracy of the marketplace for you.

So not sure what you're talking about in terms of "offers for writers." If you're talking about those sleazy companies that want you to pay them to publish, market and critique your work, don't do it. They're all a scam. You're better off self-publishing and trying to market it through social media and reader reviews. If you're talking about needing an illustrator for a book, well, that's going to have to come out of your own pocket, unless you can find some art school student who is willing to do the work in exchange for recognition in the book.

GAN

Constable
Nov 9, 2014
Russia, Moscow

Catch-up well agree. He's a busy man of course.

raisindot yes I was talking about it. And it's not good no doubt. But the situations is you can't publish your thing here (and no matter how good it is) you can't show it to the people there for some resons (not well-known author for example) other writers are saying bad things about you and so on and so on and so on. Self-publishing is the way but hard and in Russia it gives you minimum money. Well - now. But I don't believe that something will change in nearest future. I hope but don't believe. And THAT'S a pity... :(

L

lwhitehead

You forgot the Doubloons make out of gold and later worth 100 Rales a Spanish Penny,

But as you stated it was the Spainish Dollar that was adopted later my colonial people as there dollar,

For Port Lucre it's Pirate Money that makes the city Hell on Wheels and a Boomtown, Port Lucre survives on trade both legal and illegal, Pirate and Privateer crews spending there hard earns cash, and rich tourists coming to blow off some steam.

The Coppers coins what can I call the pennies,

LW

L

lwhitehead

Well they updated both first two in the series there is also Tales of Monkey Island as well, I could read out loud my stories on Youtube but would require me to figure out who to post and film for Youtube.

The other thing in my writing is I like how Terry P at the end of each Pargraph he has those blurbs on subjects, such as places, things and people.

LW

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA

GAN said:
raisindot yes I was talking about it. And it's not good no doubt. But the situations is you can't publish your thing here (and no matter how good it is) you can't show it to the people there for some resons (not well-known author for example) other writers are saying bad things about you and so on and so on and so on. Self-publishing is the way but hard and in Russia it gives you minimum money. Well - now. But I don't believe that something will change in nearest future. I hope but don't believe. And THAT'S a pity... :(
As I said before, what you describe isn't unique to Russia at all. Almost no one who isn't already well known in some capacity can get a book published by a regular publisher. Unless there is some reason why Russia doesn't allow its authors to use Creatspace, Kindle or other tools to self-publish, there's nothing stopping you other than your own inertia. If getting paid minimum money is your biggest roadblock, then give it up entirely. Unknown authors get next to nothing these days. Even if they are published by a publisher only a few hundred fiction books sell more than a couple of thousand copies a year. And authors only get a tiny percentage of the selling price. Don't do it because you think you're going to get rich writing books, because only a tiny number of people are able to be full time authors.

L

lwhitehead

First Off I'm not Russian I'm a White Church of England Canadian,

Secondly it's my Asbergers that gives me the grammer problems,

I will prove to you people my Writing is worth Art,

LW

L

lwhitehead

Oh sorry didn't know, yes it's hard to your work published, dispight that I know that saying over and over again stating my fact is sounding like a record being playing over and over again.

But I will prove to all of you my setting is worthy, because I believe in it.

LW

User Menu

Newsletter