Who is your favourite Who?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ash

Constable
Dec 28, 2010
County Durham, UK
Ah the End of Time and the start of the best Dr Who. I liked David Tennant until the last few episodes he was in and then thought that he was made to seem to afraid of dieing.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Jan Van Quirm said:
:Some of the concepts during his tenure as the Doc were v. good though (his first one with the dodgy adaptation to his regeneration that had the people living in a realisation of one of Esher's mazes to (not) name one - forgotten as usual! :rolleyes: ), but then the writing's never been a problem with the series :laugh:
Castrovalva! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
That could well be the title chris - I was just trying to remember where it was! :laugh:

Now look what you made me do! :laugh: We're both right - kind of ;) Have a look at the entry under the plot heading on Wiki Logopolis was where Peter Davison took over from Tom Baker apparently and Castrovalva was Davison's first full serial as the Doctor having severe regeneration probs.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted actually - there's no Dr. Who portal on Wiki! :eek:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Not really - dear ole Tom B was the Doc for 6 whole years or more wasn't he? It was horrible when he got replaced. :cry: End of an era style of fings ;) Probably why I couldn't take to PD too well, but the sets for Logopolis and Castrovalva helped - the last great days for the original series *sighs* :laugh:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Jack Remillard said:
I think my favourite Doctors are probably Matt Smith, Sylvester McCoy, Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton. :)
Now that is an interesting mix. Very few people rate McCoy but his last series was pretty good. Troughton suffers from the fact a majority of his episodes were wiped (just 19 left of the first 75 and 56 left out of 119 overall) so it is difficult to judge him nowadays and as for Smith well it may well be too early to tell exactly what he is doing with the role. I'll go for Pertwee though

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
The Mad Collector said:
Jack Remillard said:
I think my favourite Doctors are probably Matt Smith, Sylvester McCoy, Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton. :)
Now that is an interesting mix. Very few people rate McCoy but his last series was pretty good.
It was! I also thought he was good in Remembrance Of The Daleks and The Greatest Show In The Universe in season 25. I love the scene in Remembrance when he is sitting in the cafe talking to the guy behind the counter and really thinking about what he is doing.

I first got into Doctor Who when I was 10/11 and the last two seasons of the classic series were on. The cunning and mysterious version of the Doctor really captured my imagination. I loved the idea that he might be destined to be Merlin in his personal future. :laugh:

I also really like some of his Big Finish audio plays. I think my favourite is Night Thoughts (though it's a while since I've listened to any).

Troughton suffers from the fact a majority of his episodes were wiped (just 19 left of the first 75 and 56 left out of 119 overall) so it is difficult to judge him nowadays
True, but there is quite a lot still around. :) I think he's great in The Invasion for example. I really liked his scenes with Tobias Vaughn.
and as for Smith well it may well be too early to tell exactly what he is doing with the role.
Well, it's possible that I might change my mind in the future, but at present I'm really enjoying his portrayal. :)

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Ah, then I'm a bit older than you, I remember the end of Troughton when first broadcast but really got into the series with Pertwee, I was 7 when he took over. Revisiting the classic series with the DVDs has been great fun, over three quarters of all 587 still existing episodes have now been released in this format and I'm slowly working my way through them :laugh:

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
I'm looking forward to the re-colourized DVD release of The Ambassadors Of Death. :) It was supposed to be released this year, but it has apparently been delayed until next year (technical problems to do with the colourizing I think).

I really like that one, I think it's an interesting story. I also find the excessive repetition of the words 'moral duty' quite funny, though I'm probably not supposed to. :laugh: And wasn't British space technology great back in the 70s? :laugh:

Not sure where my VHS tape of that is.

User Menu

Newsletter