Who Should Play Vimes?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I think that Toby Stephens looks just a little young, though he is starting to get the right look. Sean Pertwee...looks the right age, but I am not sure he's got the right look (and believe me, I would be all for the son of Jon Pertwee playing Vimes otherwise).

Hugh Laurie would be an excellent choice. Had you asked me before House came on, I would have told you to bugger off. But House showed his ability to play an excellent dramatic role that is acerbic and misanthropic. Only downside? Doesn't look like he could chase somebody down or beat the crap out of someone.

How about Christopher Eccleston? Not too old, still looks capable of physicality, and can do that sort of cynical and world-weary outlook.

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
don't agree at all with Ricky Tomlinson. He always strikes me as cynical and downright unpleasant in his roles. How about Ian Holm?

for Vimes.. Robert Carlyle. Right age, and has that intelligent look in his eyes which Vimes needs. I don't see Vimes as particularly large or muscular, just capable of being provoked.

that or Sean Bean ... Carlyle as Vetinari to Beans' Vimes would be a good combination....

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
rockershovel said:
don't agree at all with Ricky Tomlinson. He always strikes me as cynical and downright unpleasant in his roles. How about Ian Holm?

for Vimes.. Robert Carlyle. Right age, and has that intelligent look in his eyes which Vimes needs. I don't see Vimes as particularly large or muscular, just capable of being provoked.

that or Sean Bean ... Carlyle as Vetinari to Beans' Vimes would be a good combination....
If we're going with Robert Carlyle or Sean Bean, how about Tim Roth as well.

Sean Bean I could just about see playing Vimes, actually. What about David Wenham as a possible choice?

User Menu

Newsletter