Wonderful, off-beat movies.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Dog Soldiers is a fantastic film. Flippin' hilarious!

Mel Gibson is the best screen Hamlet I've ever seen - better than Olivier (gasp!), and way better than Branagh. Although Kate Winslet was also the best Ophelia. And Branagh really made Henry V his own (I had it on tape & wore it out).

I was lucky enough to see Derek Jacobi & Robert Lindsay on stage some years ago in Becket. Standing ovation, natch.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Dotsie said:
Mel Gibson is the best screen Hamlet I've ever seen - better than Olivier (gasp!), and way better than Branagh. Although Kate Winslet was also the best Ophelia.
And Branagh really made Henry V his own (I had it on tape & wore it out).

I was lucky enough to see Derek Jacobi & Robert Lindsay on stage some years ago in Becket. Standing ovation, natch.
Agreed that Gibson was a very good Hamlet if Hollywood-ish Hamlet.
Yet how many saw the film only to read the play? Then read more plays and see more plays.

Worked for my daughter...
The lengths we go to to manipulate our children. Good parenting, that is. ;0)
She prefers Branagh's Henry and laughed at Olivier's Hamlet. Called it Men in Tights Meets Hitchcock.
No reverence for her....

Ahh! You saw Derek. In person. Alive. Oh my, he was my mother's absolute favorite actor. When I, Claudius came out on video (99.99 back then), she bought it before we had a VCR, so off we go to buy one of those.
The Matre promptly wore out the tape.

I had no idea who this fellow was and was shocked to learn he really doesn't lisp.
Now, I just love him.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
Tonyblack said:
I saw John Cleese as Petruccio in Taming of the Shrew on TV once. He was very good in that role.
Really? Available ...where?

Yep, got The Daughter started on Monty Python, too.
Now she wants to see everything that any cast member appeared in.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Trish said:
Tonyblack said:
I saw John Cleese as Petruccio in Taming of the Shrew on TV once. He was very good in that role.
Really? Available ...where?

Yep, got The Daughter started on Monty Python, too.
Now she wants to see everything that any cast member appeared in.
Details HERE. Don't know if it's available on disc though. o_O

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Tiffany said:
I have Amelie, on video, Tony, lovely film.

I also love Barbarella, but I think that was made in Hollywood?

Ladies In Lavendar & Calendar Girls, were good as well.
Do you mean "la valise d'Amélie"? I love the music. Especially the piece called "comptine de l'un autre été". I've learned it on piano :laugh: . I just didn't see the film yet. I'll have to buy it somewhere.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Check out Teahouse of the August Moon.

It's Hollywood, but it's still good.

See if you can spot Brando!

Also, of course, The Sting is great!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Blimey! :eek: Teahouse is a film I haven't seen around for years and years but yeah it's a really unusual film about a really unusual time - not too sure about Brando in there but it certainly was a different role for him in that he could smile occasionally I s'pose :laugh:

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Jan Van Quirm said:
Blimey! :eek: Teahouse is a film I haven't seen around for years and years but yeah it's a really unusual film about a really unusual time - not too sure about Brando in there but it certainly was a different role for him in that he could smile occasionally I s'pose :laugh:
Brando played the Japanese local who was assigned to help the liutenent. I can't remember the character's name, but the idea of a Japanese Brando always makes me grin.

I also think The Sting is worth watching, but it's not really "off the wall".

However, if you like Japanese movies, you might like to check out Ikiru. It's a film directed by Akira Kurosawa. It's about an elderly supervisor in a local government office who discovers that he has a terminal illness. It's provoking but fun.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
IQ.......... Tim Robbins,Meg Ryan,Walter Matthau ...........A lighthearted love story with mild comic content,an old film (96ish) but first time I viewed it I feel in love with the film! :)

User Menu

Newsletter