Wonderful, off-beat movies.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Phill

Lance-Constable
Nov 10, 2009
Cumbria UK
Where do i start ? Baring in mind i have well over a 1000 movies most of them classed by my family as weird :laugh:

The Ninth Configuration (1979 US)
The Bed Sitting Room (1969 GB)
The Lost Continent (1968 GB)
Viy (1967 USSR)
Stalker (1979 USSR)
Pi (1998 US)
Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue (1974 Sp)
Scream And Scream Again (1967 GB)
A Canterbury Tale (1944 GB)
House With laughing Windows (1976 It)
Diabolik (1967 It)
Wizards (1977 US)
Harold And Maude (1971 US)
Eraserhead (1977 US)
The Holy Mountain (1972 Mex)
El Topo (1970 Mex)
Sante Sangre (1989 It/Mex)
Element Of Crime (1984 Den)
Spider (2002 GB)
White Of The Eye (1987 US)
The Beyond (1981 It)
House By The cemetary (1981 It)

I really could go on ! But that'll do for now :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
OMG - Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue was the first 18 cert horror I saw at the cinema! :laugh: It was in a double bill with Driller Killer which was allegedly based on 'a true story' :eek: That one freaked me out so much that I was completely sliding off my seat for LDatMM even though that wasn't quite as scary being totally naff :oops:

Kladivo

Lance-Corporal
Nov 4, 2009
Uberwaldleedsgothamerbyshire
There's a lot of titles here already that I could include in my list so lets try to add something new instead. There'll be quite a few from Balkan cinema. Milcho Manchovski's 'Before the Rain' (Macedonia, 1994) is one of my favourites films ever, ever, ever. Only this year finally released in the U.K. on the DVD.
There's absolutely fantastic 'No Man's Land' about the war in Bosnia. It's modest (could easily be arranged into a stage play) but incredibly powerful. And not easy to watch for the Western Europeans. With a good reason too.

Then there's absolutely anything from Emir Kusturica. Easiest to start with would be the 'Arizona Dream' as it was made in America but I do recommend his Jugoslavian films as well. Especially 'Underground' and 'Black Cat, White Cat' the first being a very surrealistic epic on Jugoslavian history from the WW2 to war in Bosnia, the second is a charming comedy set among Balkan Gypsies.

Then from the Czech Republic comes Jan Sverak. His 'Kolja' got him an Oscar and is a beautiful story told in a very specific, Czech way. Warm, humane, touching. His 'Dark Blue World' tells a story of Czechoslovak fighter plane pilots during Battle of Britain.

J.P Jeunet & Marc Caro's 'Delicatessen' - their first film, before 'City of Lost Children' and then splitting up. Is just brilliant but be warned, the humour is rather dark :)

I also love almost all the comics adaptations with a general exclusion of Marvel based stories. I loved Dredd, 'Tank Girl', 'Spawn', 'Hellboy', 'Constantine' and all the recent productions that really break the mould with the 'Watchmen' in the lead (it's a blockbuster but based on not-so-mainstream graphic novel after all), the list goes on, really...

Alex Proyas! The Crow (could be in previous category as well) and 'Dark City', his second film. Great idea, fantastic atmosphere, very good performance, interesting special effects. Great film.

Another of the one-of-the-best evers is 'Hardware' (aka 'Mark 13') an independent British sci-fi thriller. Absolutely brilliant in every way.

'Screamers' and 'Impostor' were two really good Philip K. Dick's adaptations and even 'Total Recall' and the 'Running Man' still have some nostalgic appeal :)

Phew, I think I'll take a little break now :)

Phill

Lance-Constable
Nov 10, 2009
Cumbria UK
Dotsie said:
Living dead at the Manchester morgue? And it's Spanish?

Mental!
It's a really bleak Zombie movie. The opening scenes were filmed in Manchester then the rest was filmed in Derbyshire standing in for my native county o_O It really is well worth seeing just don't expect to laugh much.

User Menu

Newsletter