YouTube Shows

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm discovering the joy of shows made for YouTube that don't make it onto TV. They are a sort of (I imagine) next step from blogs.

The two I'm enjoying at the moment are: Carpool, in which Robert Llewellyn (Kryten from Red Dwarf) give a celebrity a lift in a car and chats to them during the trip.

The other one is David Mitchell's Soapbox, in which writer and comedian, David Mitchell has a rant about all sorts of subjects.

Do you have any favourite YouTube channels? :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Thanks Tony, I never knew these were on You Tube. I always enjoyed David Mitchell's rants on '10 O'clock Live' so I will be going through these ones when I have some time. I've seen Carpool on 'Dave' a few times (it did have a regular spot a while back) but I think it is broken up into filler pieces now. :laugh:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I've seen a few videos of DM's soapbox, I enjoyed it :laugh:
question: is it the same David Mitchell or another one that I sometimes read as being the author of shows or movies? (although at the moment I can't remember of what..)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
chris.ph said:
carpool was on sky tony
:laugh: As I don't have a telly, let alone SKY, I wouldn't know. It seems a bit low tech for regular TV though.

Crys - I don't know about David Mitchell. He has written TV shows and is a regular on QI, but I don't know if there are any other David Mitchells. It seems quite a common name. o_O

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
There are a few series on YT i enjoy. a number of them in my other fandom.

The .MOV series which is a totally NSFW parody series done in a Ren & Stimpy animation style. that I originally didn't care for for being so crude, offensive and over the top. But I found a new love and respect for after reading the guy's "Ask Jappleack" tumblr that ties into the series. Starts off in the same crude, vulgar style, but half way through switches tone so dramatically its jarring. it goes from a low brow answer-banal-questions-with-vulgar-images style thing (with true facts about apple at the bottom for some reason :laugh: ) to a deep, serious and heartwrenching at times (yes, tears fell) fantasy/sci-fi story arc that leads into the final video. (the comments alone as it makes the switch are priceless. my favorite being on one near the end "How the **** did we get here?!" :laugh: )

"Two best friends play" is another. its two guys playing different games and recording themselves as they do it. they can be hysterical (again NSFW). their best ones though was a "mini-series" they called (and the title contains naughty words :p)
"Shitstorm of scariness"
where each day in october they did a different horror game. Hearing them trying to be all macho while they are clearly wetting themselves and in the end just freaking out was worth it. (there's also Two Best Sisters which is an animated parody of them)

There are several from Rooster Teeth. "Lets play", which is similar to Two Best Friends. "Red Vs Blue" which is a halo parody series that, like "Ask Japplack" (though not vulgar), takes on a more serious tone as it goes along. it actually becomes a pretty good Sci-Fi series. "Fails Of The Weak" which showcases fan submitted bloppers from halo fans.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Quatermass said:
I've posted a thread in the Broken Drum about Abridged Series, which pop up on YouTube, though a few have their own dedicated websites. Here's the thread:

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5458
I'm not altogether sure I understand the concept of those. Am I right in thinking that they are Anime series that have been reduced to their bare bones for comic effect and in an effort to get the whole of a gist of a whole series into a space of about a few minutes?

If that's the case, wouldn't you need to know the series they are reducing or you wouldn't really understand what's going on? o_O

I'm wondering if it's a bit like the Reduced Shakespeare Company and the way they manage to condense Shakespeare's plays into a matter of minutes. Again - it really helps if you know the work they are reducing.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Quatermass said:
I've posted a thread in the Broken Drum about Abridged Series, which pop up on YouTube, though a few have their own dedicated websites. Here's the thread:

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5458
I'm not altogether sure I understand the concept of those. Am I right in thinking that they are Anime series that have been reduced to their bare bones for comic effect and in an effort to get the whole of a gist of a whole series into a space of about a few minutes?

If that's the case, wouldn't you need to know the series they are reducing or you wouldn't really understand what's going on? o_O

I'm wondering if it's a bit like the Reduced Shakespeare Company and the way they manage to condense Shakespeare's plays into a matter of minutes. Again - it really helps if you know the work they are reducing.
An Abridged Series is sort of a combination of the Reduced Shakespeare Company and what would be called a gag dub. In other words, instead of just abridging the story, they change the dialogue, and even elements of the story, to make it even more comedic.

The humour IS easier to get if you have watched or are a fan of the shows being parodied, but I did enjoy watching Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series, after a few false starts, despite me having only watched a few episodes of the series it's based on. The fact that the series points out how ridiculous it is for the fate of the world to rest on the outcome of a children's card game and is surprisingly very postmodern helps too.

TV Tropes sorta explains it:

A Sub Trope of Gag Dub, that deals specifically with shortening works of fiction, and making fun of it. The first of these was Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series (albeit the idea of abridging works for fun started way earlier). This started out as Follow the Leader, but has become so common now, it's a genre in itself.

[...]

The key to making a good Abridged Series is to take something So Bad, It's Good, or something that takes itself way too seriously, and add copious amounts of professionally created bad peppered with deep fandom understanding, which makes everything better. In a pinch, something either horribly bad or actually good may be substituted.

User Menu

Newsletter