2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

• Option A ~ Regional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)

• Option C ~ Grouped by Series

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)

• Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!

• Total voters

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: 2012 Discworld Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card Schoo

Another update on the Charity Auction side of things for us. I've just mailed Transworld and Stephen Player for permission to put some of the playing decks into the Charity Auction (Orangutang Foundation and Shelter Box) at the convention. Copy of grovelling request for info ;)

Further to our last contact, plans for the Cripple Mr. Onion workshop are now in an advanced stage and it will be hosted by fans from the Terry Pratchett Forum in 'The Dice Box' room at the convention at the end of August (attachment of the back design for the card decks as already agreed with you all).

The reason I'm contacting you again is to ask if you (Transworld and Steven Player), would agree to us putting some of the decks we'll using in the workshop into the charity auction if the event proves popular with the convention goers. I realise this was not the plan originally, which is why I'm again seeking permissions from you to allow this one time sale, purely as a fundraiser for the convention charities (for the Orangutang Foundation, Shelterbox and Tall Ships Youth Trust), which of course will include Stephen's Great A'tuin image and a section of the old forum livery from the Transworld Terry Pratchett forum. Obviously if permission cannot be given, then we'll not proceed any further with this.

We're all looking forward to the convention - to be taking part in one of the day attractions is a big buzz for many of us of course, and to be able to fund raise as well would be wonderful. Many thanks in anticipation and also for all the help you've given us to get this far.

Best regards,
Jan Hawke
on behalf of the fans on the Terry Pratchett Forum

Have already had the green light from Stephen Player (for Great A'tuin) and hopefully Lynsey Dalladay will follow suit for Transworld (for the background on the convention back design) although she's away at some Crime Writers beano just now.

On the subject of Ms. Dalladay, a few weeks back (after Long Earth was out) I've also asked her if Transworld would be up for contributing to the production of a presentation pack to give to Terry at the convention but haven't heard back from her yet on that so far. Hopefully this'll jog her memory and we may get some joy but if we don't...

... this is the extortion bit I was talking about. :oops: I've found an online maker who'll professionally print the full 108-card deck for us at an approx cost of £55 a go (the quote I got was for 2 full decks).

If Transworld don't come back soon/don't want to help then would you lovely people be prepared to donate to the costs to get one deck especially made for Terry?

The company I'll be using is HERE and as you can see they make bespoke playing cards for performing magicians and for corporate events. I'm already getting my tarot deck made up by them anyway, so will be seeing what the quality's like before I go ahead with this and, if Transworld do agree to contribute perhaps we might even get a proper deck made in the convention livery for the Charity Auction instead of using the home made cards?

Here's the 2 liveries I'm talking about -
For Terry -

For the Auction -

What do you think in principle? :angelic-innocent:

Attachments

A

Anonymous

I can't afford to find the whole amount but I'm happy to put a few quid your way to help if necessary :)

K

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Cheers Karen - and yeah it's just to see how many people would be prepared to chip in for this so nobody's having to fork out too much ;)

I have a PayPal account so it should be relatively simple to use that to collect donations and go from there :dance:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Ta Dotsie :laugh: Once we have some more pledges how does a fiver per person sound folks?

I've now heard from Colin Smythe and Lynsey at Transworld, both giving us permission to put convention livery set(s) into the Charity Auction so we're fully cleared to go ahead for putting those into the auction now :mrgreen:

In my reply to Lynsey I included a gentle reminder about the presentation set in the hope that Transworld might shell out for some, or all, of the print costs like they did with the bookmarks last time (or suggest somewhere cheaper perhaps from their contacts if nothing else).

August will now mean I'll be printing like a demon as there's the 'How to' booklets as well ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland

Stick me down for a fiver as well Jan.

Oh and I tried to post a question took me ages well it was a longish one, got to Captha or wosssis name then it kicked me out and I lost it all. :devil:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

I'll pledge a fiver, Jan. Is it ok if I send you a cheque? :)

I know you've put a lot of effort into this and I'm more than happy to help see it through.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Thank you Tony and Dug - cheques are fine as well :laugh:

Will PM everyone with stump up details once we reach the target figure (also I want to see what the quality's like with the Tarot set I've just sent them to print) - we're halfway there now! Five more people to go and we'll have enough (I'm donating too ;) )

shivers

Lance-Constable
Jul 31, 2012

I'm happy to drum up a fiver for this - brilliant idea!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Thanks shivers and welcome to the 'other' Discworld site ;)

I'll leave this open for the rest of this week for anyone else who wants to contribute and PM around next week about how to get the dosh over to me. Couple more people and I'll make up the difference myself so this gets done nicely :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter