2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

• Option A ~ Regional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)

• Option C ~ Grouped by Series

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)

• Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!

• Total voters

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Re: 2012 Discworld Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card Schoo

:eek: There is less than 6 months to go before the 2012 CON is upon us! :eek:

Well - maybe not just yet, but look how fast the 1st 2 months of 2012 have gone by... :eek:

So consider this thread well and truly bumped :laugh:

Now, although we have our 'generic' decks for use at the Con there's still the greater forum project to realise and if our arty types who've already stepped up to the plate for this are still interested then now would be a great time to start work on your allocated suits but...

There's also the original idea for people to design character cards on the fly that aren't necessarily 'themed' in any way and can be mixed and matched. What would people like to do about that as this thread is largely here to be used as the boutique catalogue for bespoke Discworld playing cards?

For starters I'm making the card templates I've used for the convention deck available for download in here (face side anyway) together with my own disk-themed back design - these will also go in the opening thread post as well so everyone can find it in future. Now, for our artists the face template is designer sized to fit the A4 print layout I have for the court cards in the Discworld suits. The aim for this is for you to simply to use it for your own character fanart and by posting it in here, to share it with everyone else on the forum. :cool:

As the portfolio builds up I can then send the A4 deck layout templates to people on demand (by PM only) to make and print their own card sets on a mix and match basis :laugh: We're not breaking any copyright laws if no money changes hands and the bulk templates are only available to forum members so even if you're not artistic you can have a go yourself or just pick and choose from what's posted to transfer and scale into the layouts.

Templates coming up in a mo' ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Bog standard face card template - use this as the background for your design as it says and then either block out the grey line and text or delete that background layer when you've got the basic drawing down :laugh:

This is my original work and I freely allow people to use it as the back design in conjunction with the layout templates ;)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

Thought you might like to see some of the work so far on the Major Arcana I'm doing for Meer to use for the fortune-telling at the Convention - is a general fantasy-inspired deck that I'll probably try to market myself eventually

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk

:laugh: Thanks Kin and mC.

It's a process called photo-manipulation and it's a basic design skill for Photoshop as it was meant to be used back in the early days of CGI ;) . They're mostly made up of some of my own photo-stock (mostly the backgrounds) some graphic-generated forms and copyright-free online images (like the figures and mask) that I've collaged and put through various cunning cutting-edge software filters that fiddle around greatly with the more bog-standard sort light and colour adjustments you get with 'normal' digital camera kit :p

User Menu

Newsletter