2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Discworldpadawan

Lance-Corporal
Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Who's actually gone to DWcon from the forum then? Dosent seem to be as much activity on here since the 8th? :laugh: Sound off, what sorry souls are left to view the forum, other than me? Wish I was there! It feels like being in university again, and loads of people go home for the weekend, whilst the left-behinds feel sorry for themselves! :laugh: Whoever's gone, I cant wait until they return, with news hopefully!!!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Loads on going and, as promised this hotel is like friggin' L-Space and it takes ages to get everywhere including your room which you seem to get to by a different way every time you leave and come back! :eek:

Highlights/lowlights today have been an unscheduled fire alarm at 05:30am which was a false alarm due to torrential rain fusing one of the alarm systems (Bernard swears it wasn't him who set it off this time! :p )

A great Bedtime stor(ies) last night and a reading of Neil Gaiman's intro to Slip of the Keyboard about the real Terry which had Rob sobbing both times he's read it (again today at the GoH interview).

And... Strangely Fascinating which has been the first scheduled main item to start and finish more or less on time - the forum team, Chris Boote and Pat Harkin were awesome, despite some hitches which meant I had to be offstage and could hardly hear a bloomin' thing so the boo-boo cues were not always to order :rolleyes: but everyone was laughing and onstage it was all very jolly and witty.

More later when I've had a chance to get over the shakes from all the excitement backstage.... :twisted:

Mar 5, 2013
Leeds, W Yorks
hnorwood.co.uk
I had a fantastic day! A host of lovely people - very welcoming and so many wanting a chat about the layout!
I met Phalarope (Hi!) and - was it Mad? early on - sorry if I was a bit vague - I was preoccupied in setting up.

Who else on this forum dropped in to the second Art Room?

Hope the rest of the event goes well.
:laugh:

PS I thought your table was ace, Jan!

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
So sorry I missed you Hnorwood but I got caught up with a few other duties and it completely slipped my mind. I'm rather annoyed with myself because I was looking forward to seeing it. :(

Just to add that I don't think Jan's description of the Palace Hotel does it full justice for its weird layout. ;) when getting from A to B, many of us swear that following the same route, we have walked down the same corridor, going through the same door, and still end up entering a completely different room from the previous time. Apparently one of the porters got lost when taking a guest to their room! :laugh:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
hnorwood said:
and - was it Mad? early on
Yes it was me and I went back later to take pictures but you weren't there then. (I took pictures anyway ;) )

I'm just back from convention, tired, injured (the hotel was slowly trying to kill all those who attended, the accident book was pretty busy) but happy. Pictures and gory details to follow you have been warned :eek:

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
The Mad Collector said:
hnorwood said:
and - was it Mad? early on
Yes it was me and I went back later to take pictures but you weren't there then. (I took pictures anyway ;) )

I'm just back from convention, tired, injured (the hotel was slowly trying to kill all those who attended, the accident book was pretty busy) but happy. Pictures and gory details to follow you have been warned :eek:
Can't wait! Was it like The Shining?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Also sorry to have missed you and the Wonderful A-LP Rail H - Saturday was just mad as I was having to do a workshop in the Temple of Fate and get several things set up for Strangely Fascinating in the afternoon after which I simply collapsed in a heap despite only being just across the hall from you at several points.

Will have some photos to put on later today when I get my breath back :)

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Wow! Looks like it has been a busy and exciting experience, and now it’s time for you to rest but later on…

We want to know everything about it!!! Yes, yes, photos!!! Details!!! Everything!!! My preeeeeecious!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Glad you had a great time. ;)

Mx

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
A little tid-bit for you as I have literally just walked through the door and brewed a cuppa; As a non drinker of alcohol, I did spend last night trying to compose and sing Dwarf drinking songs with a couple of Irish convention goers in the Drum. Think of the Gold/Hi Ho song with words substituted for beer, ale, and quaffing. It was great fun although I think we did scare a few people away - X Factor contestants have nothing to fear from us! :laugh:

That Hotel was seriously weird though, I want to go back again. I went to get Jack Cohen a cup of coffee for the room he was giving his talk in. I thought I had gone back down the same flight of stairs but I ended up in a room on the opposite side of the hotel. :eek: (For those who went, the talk was in the Opera House and I ended up at The Dysk.)

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
:laugh: :laugh: Cheers Penners!! Sounds a hoot!! I've already signed up and paid for the Ireland one next year, I have a lot of family in Cork, Waterford, wexford, Kerry AND Dublin, so no hassle of booking hotel rooms for me :laugh:

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
When I registered for the con in Ireland next year, I had an email saying they would notify me via email "once my package has been sent", but it dosent say what they are sending, does anyone know?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I think that's possibly to do with the hotel bookings and last I heard they hadn't yet negotiated the discount package so probably that's what they're referring to. SHivers is the convention Chair and posts on here and I think has started a topic for the Irish Con 2015 so we should find out what's happening as soon as they have something to report :)

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter