2014 DWcon Manchester - The Grand Exhibition!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Discworldpadawan

Lance-Corporal
Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Whenever the next DW Con is, do we get advanced warnings on her about when tickets are about to go on sale? I'd love to have gone this time, should have known tickets were as sought after as this tho. I underestimated the demand :( :doh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
They keep the same website going (the con planning committee operates as Star Turtle) but in past years I think the next convention's generally announced around Hogswatch weekend at the end of November (so about 18 months before). I think you can just subscribe to the news feed on there and you should get advance notice of new dates etc :laugh:

If you look in on this forum or the Cunning Artificer's there's usually some news up about the next one - hope this helps a little ;)

Discworldpadawan

Lance-Corporal
Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Thanks for that Jan, yes that would deffinately help to be more prepared for next time. And Dug, that would have been an awesome idea, hadn't expected the opportunity to obtain a ticket so easily by someone pulling out on here, but I don't even have enough holiday hours in work to book the time off now!! :oops: Poor planning on my part all round!!! :oops:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
All packed, ready, and raring to go but I'm not looking forward to the travelling.

I decided to go up by coach again starting at 6:10 am and pulling into Manchester at around 3:15pm. However, there is only one change involving an hour wait at Victoria coach station as opposed to going by train and trying to get across London on the underground carrying luggage. The train, although around two hours less travelling, also involved 4 changes with some of the connections being only 10 minutes apart. I thought this was cutting it a bit fine. However, the real deciding factor for coach over train was the price being £38 by coach (proving me to be a right ol' skinflint ;) ) and the lack of changing vehicles. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
The Great A'tuin map table is looking almost ready (just a few more 'highlights' to pimp up :rolleyes: ) and just needs a good spray polish tomorrow. I have my bag(s) packed in my head but just thinking about making it so is making me head to the gin bottle o_O

Seriously - it's exciting doing all this seat of the pants stuff but it sure makes me breathless! :p

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Started packing just got to decide what size of bag/case I should take. :mrgreen: On another note I see that we can get the new Diary early, in the Dealers room from Bernard he of the Cunning Artificers Discworld Shoppe with a freebie. :laugh:
:mrgreen:
THAT'S NOT ALL FOLKS!! Publishers Gollancz have kindly allowed us to offer you another ‘thepthial thumpthing’, The Discworld Diary 2015: We R Igors is released August 21st, however convention goers will be able their mitts on a copy a little bit early, with every copy bought from the Discworld Emporium (at the event and online) including a free exclusive artwork poster

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Who's Wee Dug said:
On another note I see that we can get the new Diary early, in the Dealers room from Bernard he of the Cunning Artificers Discworld Shoppe with a freebie.
THAT'S NOT ALL FOLKS!! Publishers Gollancz have kindly allowed us to offer you another ‘thepthial thumpthing’, The Discworld Diary 2015: We R Igors is released August 21st, however convention goers will be able their mitts on a copy a little bit early, with every copy bought from the Discworld Emporium (at the event and online) including a free exclusive artwork poster
I'm glad to see they've finally realized it's kind of foolish to schedule the book releases for just _after_ a major gathering of fans who would be the most likely to buy it on the spot. I won't be at either the Discworld con or Loncon, but I hope they manage to have some available at Loncon as well, for the sake of fans who crossed oceans to be in the right country and will otherwise still have to go home and wait.

Have fun anyway!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
The Mad Collector said:
Just had a minor panic when I couldn't lay my hands on my train tickets. However got them now :laugh: I should be in the bar at the Palace by 2pm. Is there just one bar or a particular one to head for?
See you there Mad. :mrgreen:
@ Tamar I doubt it will be at Loncon as it is not Discworld specific but probably at Eurocon in Dublin a week later.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
The Mad Collector said:
Just had a minor panic when I couldn't lay my hands on my train tickets. However got them now :laugh: I should be in the bar at the Palace by 2pm. Is there just one bar or a particular one to head for?
I think the best bar to head for (and one I know to be open) is the closest to where you register. Just go up the steps and turn left and you are there. Look forward to seeing you at around 2. :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
We are slowly waking up here and will wander over to the hotel soon. Mad, I don't think you'll have any problem spotting the bar where most people are hanging out. I'll be wearing a pink long sleeved shirt and jeans.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter