Alice in Wonderland

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Cheery said:
Looks great! And lots o' Yays for Tim Burton!

But isn't Alice a little too old?
I think this movie is set when she's older and returns to Wonderland. ;)

Here's what IMDB says:

IMDB said:
The traditional tale has been freshened with a blast of girl power, courtesy of writer Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast). Alice, 17, attends a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. Off she runs, following a white rabbit into a hole and ending up in Wonderland, a place she visited 10 years before yet doesn't remember.
Full item HERE.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Well it has the Tweedles so that's through the Looking Glass for starters but she goes down the rabbit hole as well - I love Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and it looks like it's kicked off from the Tenniel illustrative 'look' so good luck to them. :laugh:

However..... I just hope and trust that TB will not have let himself get too dragged into doing a remake of the 1950s animation with the same production studio... :rolleyes: Though I suppose seeing Alice's demure picnic dress transmuting into the dishevelled 'wild wanton gypsy' look may bode well for being a more Charles Dodgson early photographic tripping out version? :twisted:

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Tonyblack said:
Cheery said:
Looks great! And lots o' Yays for Tim Burton!

But isn't Alice a little too old?
I think this movie is set when she's older and returns to Wonderland. ;)

Here's what IMDB says:

IMDB said:
The traditional tale has been freshened with a blast of girl power, courtesy of writer Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast). Alice, 17, attends a party at a Victorian estate only to find she is about to be proposed to in front of hundreds of snooty society types. Off she runs, following a white rabbit into a hole and ending up in Wonderland, a place she visited 10 years before yet doesn't remember.
Full item HERE.
okay, that makes sense.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I thought his version of Planet of the Apes was one of the most over hyped movies I've ever seen. I should have guessed it would be crap when Jonathon Ross thought it was so good. :laugh:

Personally, I love Tim Burton and I think his films have a LOT of content, the Corpse Bride makes me choke every time and think the story is wonderful ... Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant film about how society treats novelties - love 'em when they benefit from them but quickly can turn to hate when he makes one odd mistake ... (much like what Mr Nutt in UA is afraid of happening!) His Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was WAY better than the Gene Wilder film (they kept the poetry that Roald Dahl wrote rather than change the words which is what they did in the '70s film) - Big Fish is another film I love - a bit strange but the way at the end the father and son make-up before he dies through the nature of story telling - beautiful! Beetlejuice was a childhood favourite.

Aside from his appalling James and the Giant Peach I think he is wonderful.

I adore Tim Burton, I adore Johnny Depp, and I adore Alice In Wonderland... Alan Rickman is in it to, as is Helena Bonham Carter (she would be wouldn't she?) Christopher Lee ...

I would love to see this at the Cinema but I guess I would have to wait until the DVD release ... :x

Another thing I love about TB is his wackiness. It appeals to my eccentricity. LONG LIVE TIM BURTON!

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Lady Vetinari said:
Personally, I love Tim Burton and I think his films have a LOT of content, the Corpse Bride makes me choke every time and think the story is wonderful ... Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant film about how society treats novelties - love 'em when they benefit from them but quickly can turn to hate when he makes one odd mistake ... (much like what Mr Nutt in UA is afraid of happening!) His Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was WAY better than the Gene Wilder film (they kept the poetry that Roald Dahl wrote rather than change the words which is what they did in the '70s film) - Big Fish is another film I love - a bit strange but the way at the end the father and son make-up before he dies through the nature of story telling - beautiful! Beetlejuice was a childhood favourite.

Aside from his appalling James and the Giant Peach I think he is wonderful.

I adore Tim Burton, I adore Johnny Depp, and I adore Alice In Wonderland... Alan Rickman is in it to, as is Helena Bonham Carter (she would be wouldn't she?) Christopher Lee ...

I would love to see this at the Cinema but I guess I would have to wait until the DVD release ... :x

Another thing I love about TB is his wackiness. It appeals to my eccentricity. LONG LIVE TIM BURTON!
ditto

Jason said:
Sounds like pretty much everything else Tim Burton has done. All style no content.

I really don't understand why he is held in such high regard. I always find his work uninteresting.
I don't know. Some of his early movies have a lot of heart and energy. And Big Fish was incredible.

But this movie was really a lot of pretty images and no heart. Which is a shame because I really think Burton is capable of making brilliant films. Maybe he's lost it. Or maybe I've outgrown his work.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Burk,

I think you and I are in the same place when it comes to Tim Burton.

While I appreciate his artistry and style I find myself rather blah about it now. I know what I'm going to get when I get a Tim Burton film.

For me, much of it comes to his casting. I have no problem with a few recurring actors that he enjoys working with, but to constantly use Depp seems dull to me. I get that he's a brilliant actor but he should venture out and find some other people. I am sure there are plenty of actors who would love to work with Burton.

Alice was visually stunning and full of delight. That said, the story seemed dumbed down for the audience, which is sad.

Syfy's Alice was so much better to me. At least it had more fun with the source work. Cheers.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Cheery said:
I've got one thing to say:

It was brilliant! :laugh:
Oh yes! Brilliant. Watched it in 3D. Excellent. Loved the CGI. JD was great and I loved his scottish accent...whoops. doesn't give anything away honest.

Loved the character roles: ie Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman for just two. Then I sat back and watched an amazing couple of hours of fantastic entertainment.

User Menu

Newsletter