American cover on ebook version of Unseen Academicals :-(

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
Although it would be interesting to find out about how sapient pearwood reproduces, but I guess that's pushing it too much :twisted:
There mention in IT of carpentary sounds. Hammers and sawing etc. So nothing saucy I'm afraid.

Dotsie said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
Although it would be interesting to find out about how sapient pearwood reproduces, but I guess that's pushing it too much :twisted:
There mention in IT of carpentary sounds. Hammers and sawing etc. So nothing saucy I'm afraid.
Yes Dotsie, spot on, sawing and hammering... now, if That is sexy, well, I have the names of some good counselors and am willing to listen, .. a bit, and there will be a bill later.

On The Original Topic, PANTS< PANTS PANTS!!!!!!!!!!! The US cover is PANTS!!!

poohcarrot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
Pooh was wondering whether it was male or female luggage who were in the habit of running out on their offspring/seedlings and Tina ran with it and passed to me :oops: I think we sort of got there that the Luggage is a bloke (well I did anyway...) :oops:

Don't blame me! It was BB Shrooms wot done it! He said the luggage was female. 8)
We Jolly Well Will Find a Reason to Blame It On YOU, Pooh, you are a naughty naughty man and now that I am past the "spanking" stage, sorry to say, We Are All Tappin' the Toes, Pursin' the Lips and Raising one Eyebrow at you!!!!! And, if it was Not for this offence, then you HAVE DONE SOMETHING WE HAVE MISSED AND DESERVE IT ANYWAY!!! :huggles and kiss to make it better...: But we will be watching you...

Jan Van Quirm said:
but the parental abandonment aspect you were mulling with is wot sent the Loony Tunes Twins (that's me an' Tina naturally) into overdrive :rolleyes:

And the Luggage is definitely the bloke so yet again we agree on something! :twisted:
Yup, Yup, Yup, willing to own up to that and probably will in the future.

BUT Jan has taught me that "spanking" even metaphorically, is not good for ANYONE. :laugh:

Dotsie said:
Bringing this back to a slightly lighter note, maybe the luggage's little vanity cases grew up to be suitcases, so no running off occurred. And I'm not really sure if male/female applies to the luggage anyway (although my suitcase is definitely a girl :laugh: she's got butterflies on her)
OOOHOOOH OOOH yeah, make-up bags, extra-small carry-ons, yeah, I like that idea. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
but the parental abandonment aspect you were mulling with is wot sent the Loony Tunes Twins (that's me an' Tina naturally) into overdrive :rolleyes:

And the Luggage is definitely the bloke so yet again we agree on something! :twisted:
Yup, Yup, Yup, willing to own up to that and probably will in the future.

BUT Jan has taught me that "spanking" even metaphorically, is not good for ANYONE. :laugh:
:laugh: well I have another theory along the lines of merciless tickling Tina, but as I am unfortunately extremely ticklish I don't think I should pursue it too hard with the balance of probabilities being that I'll end up being the ticklee rather than the tickler at some stage :oops:

Did we see the US cover yet? Not that I think I need to as, on principal, the US has no real grasp of proper original football or even much awareness of the roots of the game they play in rugby - but then that is a sport for manly gentlemen so I suppose Allowances Must Be Made.... :twisted: ;)

Having got lost in that analogy I should hastily explain that of course by definition the US cover is built on sand and can only sink in comparison to the cover made for a nation that has been a bastion of the sport since ancient times 8) :p

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Jan Van Quirm said:
:laugh: well I have another theory along the lines of merciless tickling Tina, but as I am unfortunately extremely ticklish I don't think I should pursue it too hard with the balance of probabilities being that I'll end up being the ticklee rather than the tickler at some stage :oops:
As someone else who's also extremely ticklish, I've found that the best form of defence is ATTACK. You know you will be tickled so get your tickles in first. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Jan Van Quirm said:
Thanks for the visual Tony - do they all think they're in goal or are they all perchance Argentinian? Except the Librarian and Death obviously... :laugh:
'Snot Death, it's Hix's assistant (Charlie?)

CJDobs

Constable
Sep 10, 2009
Tonyblack said:
The thing is, the Luggage doesn't make it into the team - it's considered too homicidal. So as it's not in the team, it shouldn't be in the team picture --- should it? ;)
Maybe not. One of small things I felt missing from UU was

Small Spoiler

The final XI is never fully named - unless I missed it on first sitting? I thought Terry could have had a lot of fun with that particularly with the positions played/personalities etc. F'rinstance, Rincewind would be a Sweeper (albeit facing the wrong way) and Ridcully would be a a Centre Half - no question!

Take nothing away though, this is an awesome book and I loved every page of it! Just felt the football jokes weren't capitalised on but I suppose we can leave that to Soccer AM . . . .

p.s - Vetinari in a Referee jersey did for me as well, bit of a Red Herring - as is the shirt itself - no Soccer ref wears stripes (artistic licence and all that).

Zephyr

Lance-Corporal
Aug 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Tonyblack said:
The important bit is the bit between the covers. ;)
Yes! Thank you! Give that man a cheroot.

That being said, as an artist I've always hero-worshipped Paul Kidby and have had good luck finding his covers and work in the used bookstores around here. If I see a Josh Kirby UK-edition DW book that I don't possess, I'll pick it up, but I don't get near as hop-from-one-foot-to-the-other excited as I do for Kidby's work.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
For those of you who know absolutely zero latin (like me :laugh: ), this is what Zephyr's signature means;

''There has been no great wisdom without an element of madness''

PS I googled it! :laugh:
I must be extremely wise then. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm going to start coming in to work with my pants on my head so they'll all think I'm a genius. Or sign me off :laugh:

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
Dotsie said:
I'm going to start coming in to work with my pants on my head so they'll all think I'm a genius. Or sign me off :laugh:
I used to tell my work colleague that I am misunderstood so often, that I must be a genius!
He replied that being misunderstood doesn't mean that I'm a genius - only that I'm inarticulate!!

User Menu

Newsletter