American cover on ebook version of Unseen Academicals :-(

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
LilMaibe said:
http://www.pratchett-buecher.de/scheibenweltromane.php#edi-275310

German Cover. Weep, my friends, weep
It's better than the US version, in my opinion.

Interesting that the German ttranslations seem mainly to use the UK covers, sometimes the US, and occasionally their own.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I don't like the US versions much,in fact I don't like them at all. :) they took the wrong angle from a selling point of view, but now they are changing and are getting a lot better because they have a fan inside.

In fact I have just posted Carpe Jugulum UK edition to a friend of mine in Franconia.

A

Anonymous

David Brown said:
LilMaibe said:
http://www.pratchett-buecher.de/scheibenweltromane.php#edi-275310

German Cover. Weep, my friends, weep
It's better than the US version, in my opinion.

Interesting that the German ttranslations seem mainly to use the UK covers, sometimes the US, and occasionally their own.
Oh, don't get the wrong impression.
That cover marks the first in the line of re-translations with new covers. I think I posted the new 'improved' ones of Moving Pictures and reaper man elsewhere...They look as if done with free clipart

Alrik Fassbauer

Lance-Constable
Jun 24, 2011
Germany
Personally, I absolutely hate these "flat covers", as I call them. They look far too simplistic in my eyes, so, as if someone was trying to put the word "funny" onto EVERY discworld book with a crowbar (I know this isn't working but you get the idea - it's just forced).

To me it is as if someone tried to perform the Shakespearean (spelling ?) comedy of "Much Ado About Nothing" with clowns instead of proper actors.

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
I didn't say that I liked it, just that it was better then the US version. I notice that the German edition of Making Money does use the American cover art, which looks to me more like a promo for a game of Exclusive Possession.

Alrik Fassbauer

Lance-Constable
Jun 24, 2011
Germany
Yes, sadly ALL new German books are like this !

That's one of the reasons why I completely switched over into reading the English-language originals.

They - imho - just have superior covers. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter