Anime Corner

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
I think I´ve got an interesting question. What´s your favourite anime from a genre you hate? :think:
The two anime genres that I can´t stand are Harem and Mecha :x , but I liked very much Kami nomi zo shiru sekai ( a harem deconstruction) and Voltes V (mostly due to early childhood exposure)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Shinymetal said:
I think I´ve got an interesting question. What´s your favourite anime from a genre you hate? :think:
The two anime genres that I can´t stand are Harem and Mecha :x , but I liked very much Kami nomi zo shiru sekai ( a harem deconstruction) and Voltes V (mostly due to early childhood exposure)
I'm not overly fond of magical girl shows, but I love Puella Magi Madoka Magica, for reasons that you like The World God Only Knows (localised names where possible, please: not all of us know or prefer the Japanese names).

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
I don't like sports anime but after hearing so many good things about Yuri on ice
I put it on and ended up binge watching the entire season in 2 afternoons
but I am a sucker for romance anime so thats what tricked me into liking ice skating
well for two days at least

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
Quatermass, now you got me interested in that anime, I´m also not overly fond of Magical Girls, but I asked a friend of mine who has it and he told me it was great so I´m gonna watch it this weekend.

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
Something amazing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, The first time I saw Studio Ghibli´s Arrietty I couldn´t shake the feeling that I had already seen that movie when I was very little, but it wasn´t animated. And the I stumbled upon the Borrowers and nostalgia hit me like a freight train, I still like Ghibli´s version more but it was nice reliving those childhood memories.
And Tom Felton.OH MY GOD! :eek: he was such a cute kid what the hell happened to him ( It took me three of the Flash episodes to realize that Draco Malfoy was there)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Shinymetal said:
Quatermass, now you got me interested in that anime, I´m also not overly fond of Magical Girls, but I asked a friend of mine who has it and he told me it was great so I´m gonna watch it this weekend.
Okay, but be warned, it's VERY f***ing dark. Especially after the end of the third episode. Hell, they even change the end credits and the theme (to the brilliant Magia by Kalafina). And it only goes downhill from there. This is by Gen Urobuchi, after all. Hell, one of the themes at the end is lifted straight from a classic Doctor Who story: Logopolis. I won't say why or how: that's too spoiler-y.

Incidentally, I managed to find and purchase cheaply a bunch of complete anime series from a secondhand shop I frequent: Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Cowboy Bebop, and Elfen Lied.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
have you seen parasite dolls yet?
it's part of the bubblegum universe and works really well as a independent ova
and the most palatable part of Bubblegum crisis I am not a fan of that series,
Only found out it was part of bubblegum after I saw it for the first time

Cowboy bebop is one of the greatest anime ever made ironic that the manga it came from is rubbish
Elfen Lied greatest strength is the juxtaposition between the kawaii character design and violence imagery.
Now imagine cute Tokyo ghoul and you'd probably get my drift .

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Anyone here watch Overlord, or have read the novel series it was based on? It's no relation to the game Rihanna Pratchett worked on, though it shares similar themes. It's a bit like a darker Sword Art Online or Dot Hack.

Nov 8, 2017
Hi, I'm a newbie here I guess I start my career on this forum on this post. Hehe
Are you familiar with Fushigi Yugi? a not so erotic anime but really food fantasy anime with nice twist and powers. Really nice Anime.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I also added and just watched, Tales From Earthsea. It's a beautiful film with breathtaking backdrops. The storyline was a little vague, but enjoyable. I understand the story was based on a series by Ursula Le Guin. I haven't read any of her books, so I can't comment on how close the books are to the film.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Tonyblack said:
I also added and just watched, Tales From Earthsea. It's a beautiful film with breathtaking backdrops. The storyline was a little vague, but enjoyable. I understand the story was based on a series by Ursula Le Guin. I haven't read any of her books, so I can't comment on how close the books are to the film.
I have all of her Earthsea series and a couple of others, she was not all that happy with it, I liked it though even if it was not as in the book but it was the general gist of the story. Although it was a lot closer to the story than the TV series was I was not too keen on that.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
So, I'm bumping this because nobody's posted in it for a long time. I've been watching a LOT of anime series, particularly famous ones. Besides Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, I'm also making my way through JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, and I'm considering watching the first film adaptation of the Golden Age arc of Berserk.

Here's my two favourite openings for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: the first, which has the theme song Sono Chi no Sadame (That Bloodline's Fate), and the third, which has an English fandub of the opening Stand Proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF00xX-p28Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOGDq86i8tY

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I'm bumping this again, as I'm looking at a couple of darker fantasy series, Berserk and GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Again, bumping this. I've finished watching the very depressing and horrific but intriguing Elfen Lied, and started watching the considerably more uplifting My Hero Academia.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I haven't watched anything recently. That includes films of any sort. I did however recently find a 1960s related Anime TV series, model kit. The TV series was called Gigantor or Tetsujin Nijūhachi-gō (literally Iron Man 28) as it was called in Japan. I had a vague memory of it, especially the theme music. Here's the kit.

I looked on YouTube and found a clip there.

https://youtu.be/LZnV9REm-Eo

User Menu

Newsletter