Audio Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Cheery said:
I've just got a question about audiobooks and I'd be grateful if anyone could answer quickly (it's for a present): Are there any unabridged MP3 downloads for Discworld audiobooks around?
In the U.S., I use Audible.com to get downloads of my fav DW books. I only get the unabridged versions. I download them directly into Itunes, but you can get them as non-player-specific audio files as well. The only caveat may be that Audibles links a file with a specific account to prevent one from sending the file to many people. Not so sure about this.

Taking advantage of Audible's "free trial offers" that allow you free downloads for trying it out, I'm currently listening to "Thief of Time" and have "Carpe Jugulum" (both of which have eonly recently become available on Audible.com) and "Unseen Academicals" on tap.

Audible also offers a new supposedly better sounding audio format. I've downloaded both the "regular" and "better" sounding files for it (the latter are twice as large, filesizewise).

Jeff in Boston

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Cheery said:
Thanks for the info! I got her "the fith elephant" (her fav book) from audible now, the sound's pretty good.
Thank you so much for your help! :laugh:
Oh, TFE is both my first Audible download and my favorite (well, Thud is perhaps my favorite). When you start listening to these things you then develop a penchant for favorite readers. Personally, I prefer Stephen Briggs (who does almost everything from "TFE" on), whose voicings are nearly always spot on. Others prefer Nigel Planer and the other reaers. All a matter of personal preference.

The only things I don't like about the Audible files are that they are pretty large, so on my 16gig iPod Nano (already filled with other stuff) I can't keep more than one or two of the files on it at the same time. And, although the single files are split into "books," it isn't easy getting back to a specific part. If you don't hold down the iPod forward or backward button when trying to "scroll" through it you end up at the previous or next chapter. This can be very frustrating. Still, it's easy to manage than uploading all this stuff from 10 CDs.

Enjoy!

J-I-B

N1v3n

Lance-Constable
Mar 21, 2010
that London
I have Colour of Magic; Light Fantastic; and Thief of Time. I've borrowed many others from the library.
Perfect for in the car or long train journeys, or even chilling with a cold one and catching some rays 8)

- not for the rest of the week though :(

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Well thanks for the advice,someone else suggested this before but I wish to build my own collection of audio and that is why I have been badgering them to update the list..... it is very bad of them to put a banner on the site claiming the complete collection and suckering people into signing on in the hope of doing this! And although they are affiliated with the other Audible sites which do have these missing files I can not use my UK credits to download them, I have asked a number of times for them to be updated or to use my credits on other Amazon/Audible sites but no go.... I am sure they would not be able to get away with this sort of thing if I were on the US members site ...... typical Brits being done over again thanks to our weak and ineffective Laws.

Jan 1, 2010
Have you been in touch with the Advertising Standards Authority to make a complaint?

I wouldn't generally agree that the UK has weak and ineffective laws.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Yes I have but their powers are apparently limited on internet issues, it appears that so long as they have a version of the book ( the abridged one, which for me is no good...who walks into a Library and rips out pages of a book and then expects the next reader to enjoy it!!! ) the advertising standards can do nothing about it...... as I said we have Weak and ineffective Laws in the UK..... :eek:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Richazey said:
I just managed to get 20 tapes read by Tony Robinison for £28 all in perfect condition :laugh:
Yes but they are all seriously abridged, you only get about 20% of the book. To give some comarison the full versions read by Stephen Briggs nowadays come out on 10 to 12 CDs. I started listening to the Tony Robinson ones but got so frustrated with huge chunks being left out so I now have all the full versions.

User Menu

Newsletter