best discworld novel ever?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ioustina

Lance-Constable
Dec 4, 2010
France
It is very difficult to choose.
I would say "Sourcery" - because I find the wizards hilarious - and "Hogfather" - because Death is by far my favourite character.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Bouncy Castle said:
Currently re-reading Guards Guards, and loving it all over again, but high in the rankings (in no particular order) would be Going Postal, Making Money, Pyramids, Soul Music and Moving Pictures (my current handbag book for use on trains!!).
Ohhhh I think Dotsie has one of those "Big-book-inna-handbag" things for on the train. Though I think SHE uses HERS to wallop people over the head if they won't get up and give her a seat.

Hide me Bouncy hide me

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Reaper Man. That being said, Hogfather, Thief of Time, Going Postal, Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight are also amongst my favourites.

Verns

Lance-Corporal
Jun 19, 2010
London
Quatermass said:
Reaper Man. That being said, Hogfather, Thief of Time, Going Postal, Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight are also amongst my favourites.
Interesting, Quartermass. I'm going through a Pterry glut at the moment, re-reading a lot of them; I picked up Reaper Man, read a bit of it and then put it guiltily back in the shelf. I don't like it at all, so would dearly like to know what I'm missing! I know it's probably heresy to say it, but I'm not that keen on Hogfather either, although I do love Susan. And I have little time for those tiresome wizards! Particularly Rincewind, who I just want to slap. :x :oops:

Erm, I've just remembered that this is supposed to be about favourites, not least favourites. The Watch can do no wrong in my eyes, so I love all the Watch books, in particular Night Watch and Thud! I also love the Witches - I think Wyrd Sisters was my first DW novel (not counting The Amazing Maurice) and I still have a very soft spot for it. As for the others, Small Gods, Thief of Time, The Truth and Going Postal are definite favourites, as are all the Tiffany Aching books.

mickh46

Dec 10, 2010
Best book

Hi all There are so many that would make it my best ever but if forced to make choice then it would have to be any of the night watch books followed closely by Thief of Time

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Wow, Verns!

Except for a disagreement on the merits of Hogfather (which is in my Top 5), I'd say your ratings of the various 'series' just about completely align with mine.

Now, if you said that Pyramids was just about the worst DW book we'd be nearly 100% on the same wavelength (and you'd share my space on Pooh's hit list).

:laugh:

J-I-B

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Verns said:
Quatermass said:
Interesting, Quartermass. I'm going through a Pterry glut at the moment, re-reading a lot of them; I picked up Reaper Man, read a bit of it and then put it guiltily back in the shelf. I don't like it at all, so would dearly like to know what I'm missing! I know it's probably heresy to say it, but I'm not that keen on Hogfather either, although I do love Susan. And I have little time for those tiresome wizards! Particularly Rincewind, who I just want to slap. :x :oops:
I feel that Reaper Man just hit all the right buttons with me. I like Death and his stories, especially where he tries to learn more about the human condition. But Mort annoyed me, given the love story and the stuff-up Mort made, and Soul Music, while good, seemed to be a rehash of Mort, but what Mort should have been. At least Hogfather and Thief of Time, while similar to each other, had some progression and interesting bits in them. But Reaper Man had Death by himself, confronting his own destiny, and learning about humanity. It didn't hurt that the second plot was interesting and involved the wizards in a good way. And one of Death's lines towards the end was good. WHAT OF THE HARVEST, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
poohcarrot said:
I didn't like the end of Reaperman with the shopping mall. :laugh:
I thought that it was a clever and funny idea for shopping malls to be some kind of Lovecraftian cosmic horror. I just wish that it had gotten to the point sooner.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
I didn't like the end of Reaperman with the shopping mall. :laugh:
Totally agree. I think that whole mall and wizards subplot is the reason I didn't like RM that much. Almost as if Pterry felt that a Death story itself wouldn't be popular with readers and threw in some cultural parody and wizards to keep his readers happy.

J-I-B

Re: Hogfather

angela1221 said:
Hi! My favorite is the Hogfather and right now it is available in Hungarian, too. Translation of the title is Vadkanapó (http://konyv-konyvek.hu/vadkanapo). I have been looking forward this!
HI AND HELLOOOO!! :laugh: Welcome to the forum ;) Funny you should say that - I bought the book yesterday as a christmas present for a classmate of mine ;) Was actually looking for Soul Music but hungarian bookshops and TP books... :rolleyes:
Didn't know it was so new though ;)
Good to have someone from Hungary on the forum :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter