Book Bargains.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
I've read the first 6 up to Sharps Rifles, but it's rather difficult to read them in order.
Never watched the TV series so can't compare them but really enjoy the books. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
chuckie said:
I've read the first 6 up to Sharps Rifles, but it's rather difficult to read them in order.
Never watched the TV series so can't compare them but really enjoy the books. :)
Cornwell jumped about a bit with the books. He wrote the original series and ended it with Sharpe's Devil set in South America. But there was so much demand for more stories (especially after the TV series) that he went back to write about Sharpe in India, at the Battle of Trafalgar, Battle of Copenhagen and he then filled in some gaps in the original series.

Sharpe is his bread and butter, but there are much better series and individual books. I'd recommend the Warlord Trilogy, Gallows Thief, Azincourt and The Grail Quest series. ;)

Jan 1, 2010
Sharpe is his bread and butter, but there are much better series and individual books. I'd recommend the Warlord Trilogy, Gallows Thief, Azincourt and The Grail Quest series.
Is the Warlord trilogy the one that starts with The Winter King? If so I'd definitely second the recommendation.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Sharpe is his bread and butter, but there are much better series and individual books. I'd recommend the Warlord Trilogy, Gallows Thief, Azincourt and The Grail Quest series.
Is the Warlord trilogy the one that starts with The Winter King? If so I'd definitely second the recommendation.
Dat's the bunny! :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
WannabeAngua said:
I recently bought The silent meow at Allibris for no more than about 6 or 7 £ included shipping. That book is a MUST for all cat lovers and I thought it was a bargain.
It really is a delightful book and very funny - especially if you are owned by a cat. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I remember a few of the big value buys I got during my trip to the UK. In fact, I happened to look into the window of an Oxfam bookshop on the way to the British Museum, and had to persuade my mother to wait until the shop opened, as there was a copy of the scriptbook for The Quatermass Experiment, the original Quatermass serial, which I had been searching for for a very long time. It cost six pounds, or, at the time, about $15 Australian. But it would have cost me at least $30 Australian to get it anywhere else via the internet or antique bookshops mail order.

And on the 15th of January, I am heading to that major bargain event, the Lifeline Bookfest up at Brisbane. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Just been to The Works/Booksale here in Cardiff and got The Last Hero (paperback) for £2.99 and Hogfather-The Illustrated Screenplay for £1.99. :laugh:

You may have the same luck in your local branch.

Incidentally, for those of you with the hardback version of The Last Hero - there are more illustrations in the paperback version, so it's well worth getting a copy.

User Menu

Newsletter