Book Bargains.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm very pleased! I got a copy of The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde from Play.com for £2.76 with free delivery. It arrived this morning and it's a hardback edition. :laugh:

Edit to add:

On closer inspection I see that the condition is not "good" as it was described on the site, but actually 'unread' and in beautiful condition. :laugh: Anyone getting the Fforde books in the UK will know that some of them have a sort of phoney 'tatty' look about them. At first glance the cover looks dented and creased, when it is actually just printed that way. I got another Fforde book in the same sort of condition from a library sale a few years ago for only 20p - presumably because the librarian didn't look at it properly. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm pretty sure that James Colvin is a pen name for Michael Moorcock and Mervyn Peake was an illustrator on some Lewis Carroll books. The cover of that Mervyn Peake book looks really familiar, but I'm not sure why. o_O

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Both books contain stories by a young British author. They are the first and second stories this author ever had published. The first story was published when the author was 16. Hopefully I can get them signed by the author within the next 6 months. :p

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've only ever read one of Moorcock's books.

Years ago I got this great idea for a novel about a man who travels back in time to the time of Jesus hoping to meet him. He doesn't find Jesus but realises that he has to take on the role of Jesus or history will be changed.

I was telling someone I worked with about the plot and she said - Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock and loaned me the book.

It turned out that my idea wasn't so original after all. :(

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
Both books contain stories by a young British author. They are the first and second stories this author ever had published. The first story was published when the author was 16. Hopefully I can get them signed by the author within the next 6 months. :p
That's why I recognised the cover. It's on Colin Smythe's site. :rolleyes:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
The first book contains "the Hades Business short story". Probably the most important publication ever, because without publication, maybe Discworld might never have existed.

The second includes "Night Dwellers" TP's second ever published story. 8)

Tonyblack said:
Have you come across a real bargain and are you itching to make us all jealous? Or have you seen something that you think we might all want in a shop near you? Tell us about it here.

I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but this morning I picked up a very nice Trade Paperback sized copy of The New Discworld Companion from The Works in Cardiff for just £1.99.

My original copy is in a real state as I use it so often, so this one will be to keep. I know The Works (sometimes called Booksale) tends to have the same stock throughout the country so it might be worth checking your local branch. :laugh:
i got 9 discworld books for 10 pounds and free postage and packaging off e-bay a week ago i thought that was quite a bargain :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter