City Watch TV Drama

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
DaveC said:
Will buy it next week

a) So I can use my 20% off WHSmiths voucher active from Monday
b) Because I am on holiday to my missus' family in Norfolk from Friday and her little brothers will enjoy the Tardis sound effect inside.

:laugh:
Wha? Wha? What book has the tardis sound effect? :eek:

deldaisy said:
DaveC said:
Will buy it next week

a) So I can use my 20% off WHSmiths voucher active from Monday
b) Because I am on holiday to my missus' family in Norfolk from Friday and her little brothers will enjoy the Tardis sound effect inside.

:laugh:
Wha? Wha? What book has the tardis sound effect? :eek:
That was SFX a month ago...

Welcome nazchap! :laugh:

I have this one ! ^^ It was the first thing I did when arriving at St Pancras Station last month, search for a WH Smith and find SFX Magazine because I knew there was a feature about the City Watch TV series in it. As it turned out, it was only about half a page long, and it was a bit awkward to discreetly search for it in the shop when the magazine went vworp vworp every time I opened it :oops:

... I bought it all the same...

Jan 2, 2009
I'll support Sean Pertwee as Vimes. Originally I thought Pete Postlethwaite, but Vimes isn't a Zombie, so that's out the window.

Sybil is over 40 so there might be a problem if they tried to bring in a young woman to play her, also I see her as Junoesque, rather than slim.

I think it is going to be interesting, so many of us have firm ideas in our heads as to how the characters look, so casting could become a minefield!

Cheers, Vena

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hey Vena! Good to see you again! :laugh:

I think the casting for these roles are likely to be very difficult. Vimes in particular is going to be controversial whoever gets the part.

How about David Jason? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Anilori said:
I have this one ! ^^ It was the first thing I did when arriving at St Pancras Station last month, search for a WH Smith and find SFX Magazine because I knew there was a feature about the City Watch TV series in it. As it turned out, it was only about half a page long, and it was a bit awkward to discreetly search for it in the shop when the magazine went vworp vworp every time I opened it :oops:

... I bought it all the same...
:cry: HOW did I miss this!!!!! :cry:

Apr 29, 2009
London
Just found this, published in March 2011:

Terry Pratchett has signed a deal with Prime Focus Productions to bring the 'City Watch' subset of his Discworld novels to television. The deal will allow for an ongoing TV series featuring new adventures and episodes based on the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, commanded by Sam Vimes and made up of a mixed group of humans, trolls, werewolves, vampires, zombies, golems and dwarfs. Exactly how this will work - whether they'll start with an adaptation of Guards! Guards! or a new introduction - is unclear at present.

Pratchett was working with the BBC on a similar project a few years ago (hence why none of the 'City Watch' books have been optioned by Sky for their TV movie adaptations) but pulled out after the BBC refused to allow him a say in the running of the series. It's unclear if a broadcaster is interested in the new project, but given that the head of Prime previously worked on the Sky adaptations, we can guess that Sky will at least give it a look.

Meanwhile, the next Sky novel adaptation, Unseen Academicals, starts shooting in the near future. Pratchett's next Discworld novel, Snuff, comes out in October.

Bugger the BBC. Buggrem, I say.

User Menu

Newsletter