Colour of Magic - poll

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

The Colour of Magic

• Love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like it

• OK

• Don't like it

• Hate it

• Total voters

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Some of them would read Tolkien's grocery shopping list and think it was wonderful. :laugh:

The very secret diaries? I don't know what you're talking about Mystmoon - mainly 'cos I've only ever been on PG13 forums :twisted: This is the road to ruin and the way of the Star Wars fandom(s) (for there are several) which has far too much conflicting canon based on 'official' fanfic for the very lightweight blockbuster SF&F genre. Officially VSD would not be on the Tolkien canon radar as recognised by The Tolkien Estate, but then they scarcely acknowledge the Trilogy even though Fran Walsh's (Mrs. Jackson's) verbatim in places plundering of the books for the script was kosher and under licence. So a slash version of the 'Master's' oeuvre is way beyond the pale in official circles, but widely read and imitated in fandom and often quite inventively (I read one illuminating and very interesting one where Lurtz* fell deeply in love with Legolas
not for those of a sensitive nature said:
and underwent extreme dental surgery so he wouldn't bite the elf's tongue or other flappy bits off when their civil partnership was consummated...
8)

*Lurtz was a new character for the 1st movie the rather fetching muscled and made up Uruk of Isengard who killed poor Boromir and got his head chopped off by Aragorn... :laugh: He's regarded as a bona fide movie canon character but try and tell that to the nazi Officers of the Lore - from a nuclear bunker about 1000 miles away :twisted:

There are limits to how anal you can get y'know ;)

james.a.vivian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 26, 2010
Sydney
colour of magic

I liked it, it took me 2 reads to get my head around it, as it was my first DW novel. Although I'd read Darkside of the sun and strata first.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
The Colour of Magic was a decent book, and funny, but compared to later works, I think it was trying too hard to be funny.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I like it a lot, loved the parodies in it as soon as I read the bit about the two unsavory rouges walking up the road I had to buy it as Fritz Lieber is one of my favorites, then I noticed a small tear in the dust jacket at the bottom and put it back on the shelf saying to myself I come next week when they have more in and get it, but it was the Colin Symthe edition :r but of course the rest is history. :rolleyes: :cry:

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
I haven't disliked any Pratchett I've read yet, and I hesitate to say there are some I don't love, but I love some more than others :laugh: I love many more than Colour of Magic, but I still liked that a lot. I have grown very fond of Rincewind.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I can't vote, I need another option :
loved it first time I read it, my first Pratchett book, fell in love with it and started looking for anything I could find of his, but now compared to the others it's almost nothing, tried to reread it and got bored

Feb 21, 2011
I think it starts well. The segment in Ankh Morpork and the Sending of Eight segment are both very funny. But then it gets into the tiresome Pern spoof that just goes on and on with nothing amusing or illuminating to say. The final segment is better, but still not as good as the start of the book. The Light Fantastic was a major improvement in that it had a more focused plot and there seemed to be a bit more thought put into it than just random spoofs.

TheTurtleMoves

Lance-Corporal
Feb 23, 2011
Worthing, UK
I was not that taken with CoM or LF but in saying that, they were not the first Discworld books I read so I was used to the different writing style. I don't plan to read them again but even though I did not like them much, I'm still glad I read them.

Werewolf87

Lance-Constable
Mar 22, 2011
Love it. Even after reading almost every other Discworld book (except for The Truth) it's still one of my faves. I like weird adventures with a road trip feel to them. I hate the movie though. :p
I'm a bit of a weirdo apparently since I prefer the older books to the new ones. I liked Ankh-Morpork as the dirty lawless city it was in the beginning. The whole civilisation going on on the disc makes me uncomfortable.

TwoShotTino

Lance-Corporal
Mar 19, 2011
Aylesbury
Loved it the first time I read it (my introduction to Discworld) and I still love it now as I can read it with all the enthusiasm I did back then. I agree there are better works out there now but Rincewind is still my favourite character and I'm still hoping for more works involving him.

A

Anonymous

I think CoM and LF are those books that get better once you read them after having grown to Rincewind :)

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
liked it,I read it recently but couldn't get into it properly for several reasons,the edition I was reading had a slightly larger typeface than i'm used to so for me it didn't 'feel' like discworld.Also I had seen the movie before I read it so half the time I knew more about what was going on than the characters which spoilt it a bit.

Perestroika

Lance-Corporal
Jun 16, 2011
Västerhaninge, Sweden
www.facebook.com
yeah I'm a thread digger!

as opposed to loving it loads and loads, I only like it.

As a huge Rincewind fan, I have to like it, but at the same time, some parts of it are very different to what became Pratchett's style. Death is quite different, for example.

But I can still read it, probably not as much as I read the other books, but I still enjoy it.

User Menu

Newsletter