SPOILERS Discussion of Good Omens, the series

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm posting this without reading the previous comments, so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have said. I got the two DVD set the other day - it came with some postcard sized photos of the show. Generally speaking, I enjoyed the series a lot. I thought Sheen and Tennant we perfectly cast is what were obviously the main roles.

How come they had Bill Patterson available but didn't use him as Shadwell? The guy who did play the part, reminded me of the teacher from Pink Floyd's The Wall, but he seemed to struggle with his Scots accent.

It was a joy to see Derek Jacobi, I did miss the alternative Bikers. Newt and Anathema were perfectly cast.

I felt that the series was generally very close to the book. They managed to keep the story on track despite being set now rather than when the book set it.

Miranda Richardson (who I love) was wonderful as Madam Tracy.

The kids were fine - I'm glad they played a lesser role in the series.

All in all, I was impressed

=Tamar

Sergeant
May 20, 2012
I have read online that they had to compromise on Shadwell's accent. In the Novel, it is said to vary, seeming to come from all over the UK. In the Series, that didn't work when they tested it so they went with a generic, no-particular-place Scots-ish accent.

Glad to hear you liked it!

=Tamar

Sergeant
May 20, 2012
I don't belong to either Twitter or Tumblr. But I do read some of them.
Someone on Tumblr asked whether there were blueprints (drawings, etc) available that showed the floor plan of Aziraphale's bookshop and Crowley's flat. I don't think there are any official ones. I haven't seen one of the flat (it's mainly in a straight line, except for the kitchen, bath, and bedroom which seem to be off to the side). However, i have seen a fan recreation of the bookshop, retweeted. It was done on CAD, and I don't know how accurate it is. The artist credit is [Korean] @lota_cro_6, from September 21, 2019
and I found it on twitter, retweeted by Eggcat, whom I believe is also Korean.

=Tamar

Sergeant
May 20, 2012
Today's sudden realization: In the Sushi scene, Aziraphale seems to feel a presence and smiling, he looks to his left, where there is nothing but a mirror, not a door. Then he sees in the mirror that it's Gabriel, and is unhappy. Ordinarily, the person to his left is Crowley, and he presumably was expecting to see Crowley.
That means that there is no significant difference in feeling-the-presence between Crowley and Gabriel.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Anathema, I thought, had an almost indistinguishable accent - as did her mother. I didn't get "American" from it. It makes a degree of sense that the family may have become wealthy due to Agnes's prophecies. I loved Josie Lawrence as Agnes. I think that Terry would have been pleased with the series. So much of it was kept as per the book and the added bits were very well done.

One of the things I have felt, reading the book recently, is that it feels dated. The world has moved on somewhat since it was written. The TV series managed to bring it up to date without losing the general feel.

=Tamar

Sergeant
May 20, 2012
A possible annotation? I was never into popular music much from 1973 to, well, recently, so this may be old news, but:

"Comfortably Numb". the first words of the song:
"Hello, is there anybody in there?"
--Pink Floyd, The Wall

Is this an annotation for Good Omens, when Aziraphale tries to contact Heaven?
In the series at least, Aziraphale says, "Hello, this is the Principality Aziraphale. Is anybody there?"
(Which to me is a huge jab in itself.)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Wall was considerably later than 1973. It came out in 1982. As Good Omens came out in 1990, then it could well be the case. I can't speak for Neil, but Terry was more into Thomas Tallis than Floyd (I think).

=Tamar

Sergeant
May 20, 2012
The owner of apple-duty.tumblr.com just posted a nice description of how Shadwell and Madame Tracy mirror Aziraphale and Crowley, as a couple who have been official rivals yet strangely friends for years, who finally get together.
I want to add Newt and Anathema as the reversed-sex pairing to Shadwell and Tracy.
It's Newton who represents the voice of reason and science, in favor of changing to something better whenever it can be found or created, where Anathema is the one who was literally raised to follow prophecy and make sure it happens.
Chaos and freedom: Crowley, Tracy, Newton
Dedicated to following the prophecies: Aziraphale, Shadwell, Anathema

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Is this an annotation for Good Omens, when Aziraphale tries to contact Heaven?
In the series at least, Aziraphale says, "Hello, this is the Principality Aziraphale. Is anybody there?"
(Which to me is a huge jab in itself.)
I see it as being something that people typically say when they’re trying to contact ‘the other side’, like in seances or using a ouija board. But you could be right.

May 20, 2012
I've been watching Youtube videos about shoe shining - got into it while trying to look up what style Aziraphale wears. (I think they missed a bet by not having him wear Wing-tips, but I don't know how long ago that pattern was designed.) I just learned, by chance, that the style Gabriel wears - with that flap across the instep - is called "Monk Strap."

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter