SPOILERS Discussion of Good Omens, the series

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
There is a huge amount of analysis of Good Omens on tumblr sites, both Novel and Series (and some of Radio and Musical)
Impressive that people are doing analysis on the Good Omens musical, given that it's only in 'workshop' stage at this point. A team in Sydney, Australia are putting it together. They held a "shoestring" work-in-progress performance last year which some of the Australian Discworld Convention team managed to attend (not me, I'm not in Sydney). I hear good things about it, but very little has been released publicly about it.

https://www.goodomensthemusical.com/

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I wish I could like these posts more than once. :) Finally some good news, to counteract the :poop:show that's been "The Watch". (May it soon be relegated to the dustbin of history like the turd it is).

As soon as it comes out in DVD, I'll make sure to rush out and get a copy! :mrgreen:

And now, to play the waiting game. *sits by the clock and watches it tick-tock away*

Ah, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Ankh-Morpork! ;)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I am cautiously optimistic. At least I have the DVD of the original series, so if S2 is a disaster, I can just ignore it.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I'm not overly optimistic. Gaiman doesn't have a great record with second seasons of his works. The first season of American Gods was quite good (although not superb). The second season, where Gaiman pretty much took over as showrunner, was mostly awful.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Then maybe you can be happier that he's sharing the show-running this time. I am a little less happy about that but Rob Wilkins at least has some clue. People keep sayng John Finnemore is capable of being funny, and at least he can do dialogue. I haven't listened to any of his radio shows.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Translating a book into a TV show is always tricky, as we all know. Three reasons why:

1. TV shows are more constrained by time than a book is.
2. Every fan of the book will have some internal idea of what a character/setting/etc. should look like, and you can't please everybody.
3. The First Season of any TV show will be received well if it's done well. But that just builds up the expectations for the second season ... and the third season (if there is one) ... and if you don't meet people's expectations, they blast you online, etc. ;)

I haven't seen American Gods, so I'm prepared to at least give Neil a chance, here. :)

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I haven't read all this thread, but I have to say Good Omens was a brilliant series & so good I bought the DVD & have watched it several times now. I look forward to Good Omens 2 just hope we still have David Tennant & Michael Sheen as the main characters. It wouldn't be the same without them.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Neil Gaiman, too, returns as exec producer and co-showrunner, and Douglas Mackinnon has been re-hired as the director.
There has not been any word on other returning cast members, but as a prequel focused on angels the celestial characters are much more likely to reappear – including Jon Hamm’s Archangel Gabriel and Frances McDormand as the voice of God.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Garnered from around the net:

@drmuig is returning as director. Mackinnon is returning as producer.
But John Finnemore is co-writing and co-executive producing. (Some of his work is on Youtube.)

Neil said: "I asked John if he'd be willing to work with me on writing the next round of Good Omens, and was overjoyed when he said yes. We have some surprise guest collaborators too. And Douglas Mackinnon is returning to oversee the whole thing with me."

Shooting should start around October (Production Weekly) so release is likely to be around March 2023.
There are supposed to be six episodes.

There are some paid traineeships available for people who want to work on it, but you have to be based in Edinburgh and able to drive yourself to work because public transit is shut down.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Garnered from around the net:

@drmuig is returning as director. Mackinnon is returning as producer.
But John Finnemore is co-writing and co-executive producing. (Some of his work is on Youtube.)

Neil said: "I asked John if he'd be willing to work with me on writing the next round of Good Omens, and was overjoyed when he said yes. We have some surprise guest collaborators too. And Douglas Mackinnon is returning to oversee the whole thing with me."

Shooting should start around October (Production Weekly) so release is likely to be around March 2023.
There are supposed to be six episodes.

There are some paid traineeships available for people who want to work on it, but you have to be based in Edinburgh and able to drive yourself to work because public transit is shut down.
Public transport is not shut down trains and buses run as normal as do the trams.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
So I guess you'll be volunteering for a paid traineeship, Dug? ;)

Alas, it will take me at least 2-3 days just to fly to Edinburgh. And in the current climate, flying anywhere is out of the question. Oh, well. :)

User Menu

Newsletter