Doctor Who 2014

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Something Dalek-related is coming back. I saw the latest teaser, and it's either a very eloquent Dalek, or maybe even Davros, taunting the Doctor.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Off-topic slightly: instead of new series stuff, I wanted to discuss classic series stuff, namely the latest Big Finish audio release. I had pre-ordered The Fifth Doctor Boxset (it's a special release because these are the first stories Matthew 'Adric' Waterhouse has agreed to do since leaving the series), and today, I got the download, with the CDs presumably being sent as we speak.

Not only that, but I listened to the first of the two stories in the set: Psychodrome. It's an excellent story, set immediately after the events of Castrovalva (the Fifth Doctor's debut story), and has the TARDIS crew struggling to accept each other: Adric is finding it hard to accept the absence of the Fourth Doctor, Tegan isn't happy that she hasn't made it back to her job at Heathrow Airport, and both she and Nyssa are still mourning their respective family members killed by the Master.

So, not exactly the best team to come to a place where the environment is influenced by thoughts and memories, conscious, subconscious, or unconscious...

There's a second one I'll try to listen to tomorrow called Iterations of I. Apparently it refers to the imaginary number i.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Story titles and authors confirmed...

Deep Breath by Steven Moffat

Into the Dalek by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat

Robot of Sherwood by Mark Gatiss

Listen by Steven Moffat

Time Heist by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

The Caretaker by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat

Kill the Moon by Peter Harness

Mummy on the Orient Express (first part?) by Jamie Matheson

Flatline (second part?) by Jamie Matheson

In the Forest of the Night by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Dark Water (first part?) by Steven Moffat

Death in Heaven (second part?) by Steven Moffat

Jan 23, 2014
Wasn't it?

The quicker they get rid of Moffat the better. He's a bad writer.

And I feel sorry for Peter Calpadi. He said in an interview that he's always wanted to play the Doctor. And he ends up with this rubbish.

Jan 23, 2014
Me too. There were a few oneliners that made me smile but that was it. And yes, the music was still way too loud.

But my biggest problem was how predictable it was. As soon as I recognised Girl in the Fireplace, I knew exactly what was coming. And all the relationship stuff was totally meh.

And I'm really annoyed at Moff thinking it's big and clever to rub our faces in the fact that he can't be arsed to write a new plot.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
simmonds91 said:
The new dr who was an insult. I will not be watching any other episodes.
Well that's entirely up to you.

I was waiting for the negativity to start and I'm not disappointed. I seem to remember all the people moaning about Russell T Davies and then being glad when he was replaced by Steven Moffat. Now everyone is moaning about Moffat. :hand:

I watched it just now and while it wasn't the best episode ever, it was what Doctor Who has always been.

Jan 23, 2014
I'm afraid I disagree. I liked RTD's NuWho. Much prefer it to Moffat who in my opinion has become a lazy writer.

I've watched Dr Who since the Third Doctor but I won't overlook the faults because of that. Moffat has become a lazy, self-indulgent writer who won't take criticism. And I, as a long standing fangirl, will say so.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, you're a bunch of frigging killjoys. :devil: That was the best debut for a new Doctor since the bloody Eighties! Okay, the science fiction part of the story was pretty weak and basically Moffat self-plagiarising, but the character pieces more than made up for it.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Sister Jennifer said:
So, a bit divided eh? Will watch it this evening and see.
A bit? More like a bit prejudiced and biased. I saw more praise for this episode on a Doctor Who forum, which I would have thought would have been the less likely location for any praise for this episode, ironically enough (given how a collective of Doctor Who fans would be extremely opinionated). Whereas here, well, we seem to have a bunch of party poopers (and I am being extremely polite and restrained when I say that), and I'm the only one with a remotely positive opinion. Well, other than Tony, anyway.

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
Well I liked it a lot too even though I had to give up watching on iplayer last night as the signal failed and watched it this morning instead.
Interesting that the episode has a very strong feminine bias yet the negative criticism is from women.
Just saying.

User Menu

Newsletter