SPOILERS Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who's Wee Dug said:
It is real not only but,It was an asylum in london for the criminal insane and others,if you wanted to get rid of elderly relatives you could pay to have them put there. :(
That was 'Bedlam' Dug, not 'Bledlow'. ;)

As far as I can tell the name may be based on Bledlow is a village in Buckinghamshire - maybe a place Terry knows and decided to immortalise in the books. :laugh:

Welcome to the site Bob! :laugh:

According to google Bledlow was used in a lot of Midsomer Murders... I am sure there is a job connection to the name but can't think.

I have just finished reading it ... unlike Pooh when I read a book it tends to be three sessions of WAM BAM THANK YOU MAM ... I take it slower with subsequent readings ...

I am not at all into football so I hated all that part but the characters I liked were Nutt and Glenda. I also like Juliet the fact that a beautiful girl was defending someone outside the norm ... instead of all the American teen films where the beautiful one is often the most vicious towards the 'orc!' THUMBS UP TERRY!!!!!

I also loved the Patrician but then I always do ... He did seem a bit more accessible and human showing that he does indeed have a sense of humour ... also a sense of ROMANCE ...

Ultimately my favourite bits were right towards the end when William De Worde made an appearance. I love that character and would love to see more of him ... another De Worde book please Terry? I was so hoping he was going to say: "This player really has two feet!" A famous Football Quote ... I think I even watched that match ... :eek:

Then Nutt saying to the crowd: "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!" A slight nod to Delia Smith when she yelled that on the Norwich pitch ... they lost!!!

Also later when Lady Margoletta said:"I would like you to teach them civilised behaviour!" "Yes of course, that would be quite possible ... And who would you send to teach the humans?"
There was a brief outburst of laughter from Vetinari ... YAY HE CAN LAUGH!!!!!!

But PEPE was a real surprise ... A fashion designer with more than a pair of scissors and pencils ...

All in all - aside from the football theme - I loved the book. But it would not have been the book without the football theme ... Suppose this is what Susan would call Chocolate with Nougat! But at least there's chocolate .... that's what counts.

erm I think that's my longest post!

i still havent finished it but i'm nearing the end...
i almost freaked when i heard the dean left, but then as i kept on reading well now i think its great that the dean is archancelering else where (sorry about my spelling) their rivalry is just halarios my favorite part the mention of the empty two seats with the impresion of the deans butt,, it was ssoooo sad and funny XDDD
it's nice to know that they've found a good use for rincewind, if i had a rincewind working for me i'd dress him in strange outfits and chase him through the corridors too
glenda's awsome too, tp makes the best girl characters

I loved the whole book in general. I think this easily my favourite non-Watch/Witch DW novel, so far.

Probably my favourite sequences were (of course) "Aho! The Megapode.", since it made me laugh uproariously. Also, the gradual realisation of Trev Likely that continuing to run with the crowd he was in would eventually drag him down and probably ending up in the Tanty or dead in an alley. It's something that strikes a personal note with me, since it mirrors my own youth, in certain respects (Alas, The Beautiful Game wasn't my own route out. Oh, how I wish it had been.).

Everything about Glenda's development as a person was superbly crafted. In Interesting Times, Terry mentioned the "Whips in their heads", being the true indignity inflicted on the Agatean people. As someone from the tail end of the last generation to whom the term "Working class" actually meant something besides "Not rich enough to afford a really big telly", the awakening of Glenda was beautifully realised. The "Crab Bucket" still holds true for many people who are my age (30) or older, even today.

The climactic football match was brilliantly written as well. I've played a bit of Sunday league football and can tell you that it's every bit as chaotic, brutal and bone crunching as the Academical's first game. Right down to the part about anyone who stands out as being exceptionally talented getting nobbled.

Not being from a discriminated against minority, I can't comment too deeply on Mister Nutt's search for Worth. As someone from the outside looking in, it certainly looks like the kind of complex someone from that situation would acquire.

It was also wonderful seeing Ponder's subtle enjoyment of the mistakes Adrian Turnipseed was making in the building of PEX, littered throughout the book. I enjoyed that immensely. Almost as much as Lord Vetinari's detached reaction to being completely arseholed after the banquet.:laugh:

lyn

Lance-Constable
Oct 12, 2009
Melbourne Australia
bob.sather said:
Does anyone know whether "bledlow" is a real (but obscure) word or a word that TP has coined? It sounds too English not to be real, somehow. (If there's a joke in it, please tell me.)
I just recently read Interesting Times again and in it TP mentions the bledlows and in a footnote says they are a University Porter.

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
Lady Vetinari said:
I liked the Orc ... didn't I make that clear? Besides, I find Tolkien a bit lazy as a writer - he lumps everyone into one basket ... I believe in Redemption ... and ol Nutt is a wonderful example of a Leopard changing his shorts 8) !

And I would say I would love a Watch book with the Medusa woman as a main character ...
sorry but I think that the point of the story (or one of) is that orcs by nature don't have shorts. The unpleasant humans who made them forced them into the rather unpleasant shorts that people think of as Orc.

Too many good bits in the book to list (as usual)

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
poohcarrot said:
I believe UA is the first TP book with a gay character (correct me if I'm wrong). The joke about rowing made me laugh. :laugh:
Do the "ladies" of the "Galah" who Rincewind meet in Fourecks count?

User Menu

Newsletter