SPOILERS Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
LilMaibe said:
That one scene with the CoC, where he demands a student is punished for trying something to see if it would work and what would happen even managed to make me stare at the book agape.
You're going to have to elaborate. What's a coc? Are you talking about the bacon sandwich incident? A scientist should never try something potentially very dangerous, the fact that they often do is bad science but it doesn't mean it doesn't get results. For every scientist who got a Nobel prize after drinking Helicobacter pylori, there's one who accidently killed himself (and others). And if you're their boss, you would punish the ones who don't walk away with a Nobel prize (them dying gets you into trouble).

LilMaibe said:
I'm aware Ponder's (said to) have seen through Ridcully's obfuscating (sp?) stupidity, but he should know better than to assume everyone gets what he's talking about.
It's just weird...
Ridcully's not stupid, and Ponder knows this. Does Ridcully actually obfuscate? I think he likes things to be as simple as possible. Or do you mean Ponder obfuscates? Academics always talk to their colleagues as if everyone gets what they're talking about, even if it's a completely different discipline (they're bloody annoying).

A

Anonymous

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... gStupidity

gramatically I might have missed up...but I stand to my opinion... that isn't the Ponder i got to know and like. That's not the Ponder who in TLC 'ranted' inwardly about the senior wizards always being -we tried that once- etc.
That is a Ponder who thinks just like the senior wizards. A Ponder who would have forbidden Skazz to built the ant-counter that later became Hex. A Ponder who would have never thought of trying to split the thaum. A Ponder who'd rather dropped the Hex-project than to have 'something as silly' as the FTB in it.

But still, the characters in the book don't feel like they're the same as before (and it's beyond characterisation progress :( )

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
LilMaibe said:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ObfuscatingStupidity

gramatically I might have missed up...

But still, the characters in the book don't feel like they're the same as before (and it's beyond characterisation progress :( )
:laugh: From what I can tell, the Ponder you know and like is the one that exists in your fan fics. :)

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
What the??? o_O

Did I imagine your last post about 'not the Ponder I know and like', or did you edit it while I was writing my response? :laugh:
I edited, then the forum ate my post o_O
I know I'm a bit biased by being a fanfic writer, but I do doubt I am that biased to get it completely wrong :(

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't know, it's been a while since I read UA, but I liked Ponder in this one. He's always been a favourite of mine anyhow. But I particularly liked the way that the Faculty had passed so much on to him that he found he had real power. He's one of the few mambers who actually takes an interest in things.

It seems to come as a bit of a shock to him, but he's pretty much got control of the whole University. Kind of a revenge of the nerds. :laugh:

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Inkmusic said:
meerkat said:
Do miss the burser though!
Did nobody else notice that? The Bursar was amazing in other books, and I don't know if he's even in this book! Now, I know all of you will be correcting me as soon as possible, but the one complaint I had with this book was that I thought it would focus more on the original staff: Runes, Chair, Senior Wrangler etc. Instead, they introduced new characters like the bledlows! Okay, I tell a lie. I had two complaints. What was the matter with Drumknott in this book? I loved the bit about the mug, but he was so....prejudiced in this book.
I did love Glenda, though.
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the introducing of new characters while leaving the others in their respective groups/personalities. It gives the University a bit more depth IMO and it gives the reader more of an idea of how it works whcih I liked. Gave a good bit of insight!

As much as it is good to have a base of main stay characters like the Faculty, teh Watch, the wtiches, I like when new characters are introduced - freshens it up a bit I think :laugh:

Overall i really really enjoyed this book, one of my favourites and one I enjoy reading again and again. Looking forward to seeing how its put into an adaptation!

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Inkmusic said:
meerkat said:
Do miss the burser though!
Did nobody else notice that? The Bursar was amazing in other books, and I don't know if he's even in this book!
The Bursar was definitely conspicuous by his absence. I'm repeating myself here from what I posted earlier, but it's my totally unproven theory that PTerry intentionally left the Bursar out because, given PTerry's own battle against the ravages of Alzheimer's disease, he felt that including a character whose comic persona was nearly completely defined by his tenuous grip on reality, was no longer appropriate.

Inkmusic

Aug 29, 2011
I guess that makes sense--for other authors. Would pTerry really do that? He knows that everyone likes the Bursar. The orangutans are going extinct, but he hasn't left the librarian out!

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
LilMaibe said:

:laugh: From what I can tell, the Ponder you know and like is the one that exists in your fan fics. :)
Once more: Did I really screw up the characters THAT much with my interpretation?

A

Anonymous

PoohKarrot said:
Have you read the Science of Discworld books Meeps? :laugh:
yes. like them more than UA. his portrayal is better there. weird, but not as weird as in UA.

But that doesn't the answer my question :( Am I really that of with my interpretation and if yes why?

A

Anonymous

PoohKarrot said:
Yep! You're way off because you're bonkers! :laugh:

(That OK? :laugh: )
Wouldn't you be off even further as you're er... more bonkers?

(But honestly, no. I'd really like an actual explanation :( I always try to get characters as IC as possible when writing. Hearing I massively failed but not getting an explanation hurts and is discouraging :( :cry: )

And, just to show there are points about the book I like (hard to believe isn't it :| ):
I DO like Macarona. If only for the simple fact it's the first character who even if he would speak his natural allusion to french/cajun i'd read with a spanish accent :laugh:

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
Tonyblack said:
LilMaibe said:

LilMaibe is a fanfic writer? That explains a lot. o_O

A

Anonymous

high eight said:
Tonyblack said:
LilMaibe said:

LilMaibe is a fanfic writer? That explains a lot. o_O
Hey, I agreed on not judging snuff till I read it (started Nation now, though, might take a while till I get to Snuff) So please don't judge me till you read my fanfics :( :cry:

User Menu

Newsletter