SPOILERS Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

mroobalooba

Lance-Constable
Oct 2, 2009
Cornwall
twitter.com
just thought i'd ask people what their favourite part of the book was...or favourite parts!?
I suggest anyone who hasn't finished or read the book at all steer clear of this thread until they have done so due to the obvious possibility that something may be given away!

Mar 16, 2009
Gävle, Sweden
There is so much to like about all of Terry's books, but in this one I particularly like the Patrician. He's so... Cheerful. A bit to cheerful than his previous character may have indicated it seems at times, but it makes it all more fun. I just love it when he solves the crossword after the banquet.

I liked the last 20 pages or so too. How they were written like every section was the ending, but then a whole page indicated that this was not the fact.

And as always, all of the characters, new and old, you can not not like them. Even the vile ones do get a certain amount of affection from my behalf.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Without a doubt, my favourite line is when Nutt tries to compliment Glenda:

"You are very kind," he beamed, "and a very handsome lady with your two enormous chests that indicate bountifulness and fecundity--"
Bless! :laugh:

Mar 12, 2009
Darkest West Sussex
My first favourite point was getting the book in the post. After that, it only got better until I finished.

Liked the boobies bit...

...and I did like the bit when Glenda suggested she might have cooked one too many apple pies and asked Nutt to help her out of her predicament. Can't remember the exact words as I don't have the book with me at the moment.

...and Nutt's Shylock moment.

I like the word gloing and shall use it without permission (as, even if I asked, I am unlikely to get a reply).

Favourite character was Nutt and his development from beginning to end.

Apr 29, 2009
London
When I first read that the Dean had gone elsewhere, I thought I'd missed out on a book.

I haven't have I? :eek:

Do you think this is the last we've seen of the Dean?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Bouncy Castle said:
When I first read that the Dean had gone elsewhere, I thought I'd missed out on a book.

I haven't have I? :eek:

Do you think this is the last we've seen of the Dean?
No, this was news to us all - him having moved. Whether we'll see him again is an interesting question, although I did enjoy the tension between Ridcully and Dean.

mroobalooba

Lance-Constable
Oct 2, 2009
Cornwall
twitter.com
One of my favourite parts of the book was when we're first introduced to Nutt and meanwhile the wizards are running around shouting and attempting to catch Rincewind...pure genius and utterly bonkers :laugh:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
I haven't finished reading it yet. So far it has lasted 10 days. :laugh:
I limit myself to 50 pages max a day, and often re-read good bits before moving on.

I regard at it as a box of finest Belgian chocolates, a bottle of really expensive wine, or making love to a beautiful woman. :rolleyes: pass the vomit bag!
I can't simply "wham-bam-thank-you-mam" it. It can't be rushed, every little bit must be savoured. :laugh:

I loved the crab bucket analogy but my favourite line to date is when Vetinari was talking about the evil inherent in nature, with mother and child otters eating mother and child salmon,

"If there is any kind of supreme being (I told myself), it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

I just love TP's atheism!" I certainly feel morally superior to any non-existent, bearded, old guy floating around on a cloud somewhere.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohcarrot said:
"If there is any kind of supreme being (I told myself), it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."
I noticed this too (not surprisingly). Loved it! I will in fact use it at the first opportunity.

...making love to a beautiful woman.
That takes you 10 days? :eek: Are you Sting?

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Dotsie said:
poohcarrot said:
I noticed this too (not surprisingly). Loved it! I will in fact use it at the first opportunity.

I was referring to a prolonged length of time certain things take to maximixe ones utils of a specific enjoyable experience. Obviously nobody is going to take 10 days to drink a bottle of wine, eat a box of chocs or make love to a beautiful woman. (In respect to the latter, I have been known to take up to all of 2.5 minutes on a good day) :laugh:

Sting?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
poohcarrot said:
Dotsie said:
poohcarrot said:
I was referring to a prolonged length of time certain things take to maximixe ones utils of a specific enjoyable experience. Obviously nobody is going to take 10 days to drink a bottle of wine, eat a box of chocs or make love to a beautiful woman. (In respect to the latter, I have been known to take up to all of 2.5 minutes on a good day) :laugh:

Sting?
Definitely not Sting then, although I believe he's on record as saying his ventures into tantric sex for 10 hours (allegedly), includes begging, wining and dining, possibly chocolates, and salacious talk which doesn't leave an awful lot of time for 'it', what with driving to and from restaurants and possibly dropping off babysitters - but obviously a leetle more than 2.5 minutes... ;)

Personally I'm all for short and sweet as I much prefer a good book at bedtime, or a cup of cocoa. Very easily pleased me and as Pooh says, ekeing out small pleasures is most rewarding :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter