Favourite Musical

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Da Gamer

Lance-Constable
Aug 23, 2010
Well musicals are pretty popular around the world especially in areas like the West End and Broadway, have you seen any? What did you think of them?

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I saw Hairspray two weeks ago at our local theatre. Brian Conley & Les Dennis as the 'mum' & 'dad'. It was very good.

My favourite all time musicals were South Pacific & Oklahoma, seen some time ago. By an amateur cast too & very good. In fact I have seen a lot by that am-dram group.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
South Pacific is great and dealt with some really controversial issues at the time such as inter-racial sex and bigotry. The movie is a little spoiled by the director's experimentation with coloured filters - but there's some really great songs in there.

The movie of Oklahoma was actually mostly filmed in Arizona. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I think the most impressive musical I've seen live has to be Cats in terms of singing (1st time I saw it I was lucky enough to hear Marti Webb*sing Grizabella - she's the real deal on the actor-singer front!) and the dancing and the set itself are just astonishing!

*sorry couldn't find her singing anything from Cats so ignore Cliff :oops: on this duet from Phantom - she knocks spots off Elaine Paige and Sarah Brightman every time! :laugh:

I hate musicals (sorry everyone...). I mean, I don't see the point of, you know, the story going on, people talking about something, and than suddenly, someone starts singing about how bad he feels about something, or how happy he is... and everybody acts as if this was normal. I mean, you could suspect a bit of schizofrenie there, someone walking down the street and singing things like "I wanna wake up in a city that doesn't sleep..."

Da Gamer

Lance-Constable
Aug 23, 2010
I think one of either Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat or Wicked would have to be my favourite musical.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I was bored one evening and on a whim went to the local theatre to see 'The Pirates of Penzance' staged by a local amateur operatic society. I was pleasantly surprised as I had never watched Gilbert & Sullivan before, or realized just how risqué and anti-establishment they were (for their time). I thoroughly enjoyed myself. :twisted:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Penners said:
I was bored one evening and on a whim went to the local theatre to see 'The Pirates of Penzance' staged by a local amateur operatic society. I was pleasantly surprised as I had never watched Gilbert & Sullivan before, or realized just how risqué and anti-establishment they were (for their time).
I saw Pirates in the West End with OLIVER TOBIAS as the Pirate King :eek:
The man can sing and smoulder at the same time as well as buckling his swash - in time to the music! Phwoooar! :twisted:

I definitely, definitely would - even if I had to choose between him and Johnny Depp (just a pretend pirate by comparison) :laugh:

The rest of it was dire (Pamela Stephenson was in it and whoever told her she could sing deserves shooting... :rolleyes: )

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Jan Van Quirm said:
I think the most impressive musical I've seen live has to be Cats in terms of singing (1st time I saw it I was lucky enough to hear Marti Webb*sing Grizabella - she's the real deal on the actor-singer front!) and the dancing and the set itself are just astonishing!

*sorry couldn't find her singing anything from Cats so ignore Cliff :oops: on this duet from Phantom - she knocks spots off Elaine Paige and Sarah Brightman every time! :laugh:
I forgot Cats, saw that too, but as it was here I don't think anyone famous was in it. It wasn't am-dram, though I really can't remember who the cast were now, but it was very good.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Tonyblack said:
South Pacific is great and dealt with some really controversial issues at the time such as inter-racial sex and bigotry. The movie is a little spoiled by the director's experimentation with coloured filters - but there's some really great songs in there.

The movie of Oklahoma was actually mostly filmed in Arizona. :laugh:
I saw the movie before the stage show. It was slightly different, I was very disappointed they didn't have Curly riding on a horse on a tread mill on stage & singing Oh What A Beautiful Morning, though. :( :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGS4fkv ... re=related

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Tiffany said:
I forgot Cats, saw that too, but as it was here I don't think anyone famous was in it. It wasn't am-dram, though I really can't remember who the cast were now, but it was very good.
Thing with Cats is that it really doesn't matter too much who's in it really as they're all so well made up and in some ways the singing's less important than the dancing (I love the observation of the choreography and some of the dancers stay 'in character' even when they're just sitting around :) ). It would have been really great if Wayne Sleep could have been in it when it was touring at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth wouldn't it? :laugh: But then I think that his brother was the longest serving dancer in the New London show (Mister Mistofolees) and he may have done the touring version too - not sure of that though :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I also enjoyed Stop The World I Want To Get Off, with Anthony Newley & Pickwick with Harry Secombe, nearly forgot, Half A Sixpence with Tommy Steele. Guess those do date me somewhat. :laugh: All seen in Londons West End.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Jan Van Quirm said:
Tiffany said:
Thing with Cats is that it really doesn't matter too much who's in it really as they're all so well made up and in some ways the singing's less important than the dancing (I love the observation of the choreography and some of the dancers stay 'in character' even when they're just sitting around :) ). It would have been really great if Wayne Sleep could have been in it when it was touring at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth wouldn't it? :laugh: But then I think that his brother was the longest serving dancer in the New London show (Mister Mistofolees) and he may have done the touring version too - not sure of that though :laugh:
Did you see it there as well, Jan? We sometimes see cast members of whatever show is on in Plymouth too, but if I had seen any of the Cats cast, I certainly wouldn't have recognised them. :laugh:
Brian Blessed was in it for a time too, but I don't think he was in the Plymouth showings, though I could be wrong.
We did see Brian Conley's car, he has a very distinct personal number plate, :laugh: but he wasn't in it.

User Menu

Newsletter