Favourite Musical

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Bouncy Castle said:
I've just seen what you wrote about Oliver Tobias, you old trollop!
I can't help it - he's really gorgeous and pouty! :laugh:

Tiffany said:
Did you see it there as well, Jan? We sometimes see cast members of whatever show is on in Plymouth too, but if I had seen any of the Cats cast, I certainly wouldn't have recognised them. :laugh:
Sadly I was in the middle of an appeal with the Benefits agency when that was playing in Plymouth so I didn't go. Brian Blessed was in it when it first opened and played Old Deuteronomy and Bustopher Jones - he's another actor with a fantastic voice, but sadly I've only heard recordings which isn't quite the same. :laugh:
Marti Webb singing Memory was the first time I had the hair standing out on the back of my neck with the passion she sang that - truly superb. I cried buckets! :oops: :laugh:

Aug 26, 2010
I do enjoy musicals, but these are the type of movie musicals. I always wanted to experience a live musical comedy because I think it would be an experience I want. I found myself drawn to all types of musicals in the film industry because of my daughter and when I was a child my mother would watch them.
films such as:
Mary Poppins
Oklahoma

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Stephen Sondheim's deepest, darkest, most subversive work.

Even Tim Burton's horrible, vacuous, blood-spattered film version couldn't wreck the beauty of the music, although it totally dumbed-down the meaning of the work itself. Look for the 1990s video version with George Hearn and Angela Landsbury if you want to see how it should be staged.

J-I-B

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
I quite like musicals, the tunes usually sticks in my head :) I've seen Phantom of the opera and Jesus christ superstar in London. Also seen Sweeney Todd, Chess and Oklahoma in Oslo. Of these my favorite is Phantom of the opera, but if I include the ones I've seen on tv my number one is Chicago.

Draywoman

Lance-Constable
Jan 23, 2010
Forest of Dean
Chicago/Caberet - Kander & Ebb with Bob Fosse choreography is just brilliant, also La Cage Aux Folles, saw that in London & loved it.

That said, I also love the old-style musicals of stage and screen; Fred & Ginger movies, High Society, Kismet, etc., and G&S.

I used to do a bit of am-dram musicals and even got to reprise the same role in The Boyfriend after ten years (that's when i decided it was probably time to quit!) and at the time I listened to/watched a ton of musicals and liked everything from Offenbach to Lloyd-Webber & Cameron Macintosh.

But please, please, never make me go near Carousel or South Pathetic...yeugggghhh!

Not to sound like I'm tooting my own horn (which is rusty, broke and has a bird nest in it) but i'm quite fond of my own royalty free musical comedy stageplay called 'The Tavern & The Storyteller' I wrote for my kids high school in 2005 & they produced it in 2007 (http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/tavern/index.html).

This was also a fortunate things as an audience member told me that it reminded her of TP. I said thank you (i didn't know who she was talking about) and some time later picked up 'The Color Of Magic'...

I have all T's books now (and the dvds of 'Color' and Hogfather) and wish he would write a new one each week!
-Jim

Temple_maiden

Lance-Corporal
Dec 31, 2010
Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables Les Misérables

Oh, and did I mention Les Misérables :laugh:

The Mad Collector said:
It has to be Chess, I bought the album when it first came out well before the musical was ever staged and it's coming to Birmingham soon :laugh:
We did this at uni in my third year when I was doing Music. Unfortunately I am a dire actor, but a good singer, so I only got to be in theoff-stage choir - lol!

I do like other musicals too, but at this thread is entitled "Favourite Musical" it has to be Les Misérables - I have seen it 8 times live in London, seen a local youth musical theatre group do the school production - surprisingly well actually, and seen the 10th anniversary concert DVD. My dh bought me the O2 25th anniversary concert DVD but I haven't finished it yet.

I have the normal CD and the complete symphonic version.

I'm a bit of a nut.

User Menu

Newsletter