Favourite?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
sweeper said:
I find myself drawn to GOING POSTAL and MAKING MONEY, i think it has something to do with the way Moist von Lipwig (not Lipvig) just seems to be able (in the subtlest way possible) to put up the longest middle finger on a short person( well, i imagine him to be a short person) that you will ever see, stick it right up the **** of the sanctimonious big wigs and break it off at the same time as rubbing the idiots face in the fact that he has just flouted the law and got away with it because of "THE ANGEL on his shoulder" :laugh: Other than that i have to admit that apart from the two of them i can't put a finger on a favourite as it happens to be the one i have just finished re-re-re-re-re-reading!!!!
Wow! I couldn't agree more sweeper. Going Postal is one book I'd like to have signed as I'm a long serving postman myself (loved and understood all the in-jokes), it calls to something within :) Making Money, despite grossing me out with the Cosmo/finger thing is slowly climbing the ladder of favourites I must admit.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I liked Going Postal a lot and I was ex post office, but I really can't enjoy Making Money. Terry has done a good job on it and the parodies with real life are excellent, but it's nowhere near as good as Going Postal.

bitbosk

Feb 12, 2009
All great for different reasons. My favourite is Jingo, because it combines the humour and political satire so well. Perhaps it should be part of the curriculum & perhaps someday we can stop history repeating itself!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
bitbosk said:
All great for different reasons. My favourite is Jingo, because it combines the humour and political satire so well. Perhaps it should be part of the curriculum & perhaps someday we can stop history repeating itself!
Nice thought! Actually you'd think we'd start looking at history and say - hey this has happened before. Welcome to the site bitbosk. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Bitbosk!

Have decided to re-read them al in order. This might be a bit of a chore - the older books are so different I'm not sure I would like them if I read them now! :oops:

But since I can't remember a lot of what happened early on, I need to refresh my memory. Especially if Esk is coming back.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Hi & welcome here, Bitbosk. :)

I have finished Going Postal, am now on Making Money.

I did like the character Esk. Should be good if she & Tiffany get into the same book.

Lest

Lance-Constable
Feb 17, 2009
South Yorkshire, UK
Man just one favorite??? This is going to take some consideration!!!

Ok, the first one i read was Reaper Man... Still love all the Death Books (and Windle Poons and the other wizzards)...

Another fave of mine has to be Theif of Time as like Susan's straight talking sarcastic manner..... As well as the hair brained time theories of Lut Say.....

Also recently read Pyramids.... You B*stard is so funny.... I've often said that languages would be easier if we used numbers instead of letters!!! ;o)

But think my fave (at the moment) has to be Hat Full of Sky... the Mac Nac Feegles are so funny..... and of course the odd relationships between the wirches is always good!!!!

Lest

My favourite books? In order?

Wyrd Sisters Having suffered analysing Macbeth three times in school I was thankful for this book, pleased someone had the guts to parody one of the grimmest Shakespeare plays and make me laugh! Also it was the first one I read.

Reaper Man Death taking time out? How cool is that! I loved it also because it introduced Rat Death to. I couldn't stop laughing at this novel.

Thud! I love this one because it shows how deeply Angua cares for Carrot (which I find sweet! Personally I think that Terry should marry those two off soon!) But aside from that it was brilliant also to show how deeply Vimes cares for his wife and son. It makes the characters more believable. Vimes is one of my favourite characters. Plus I love the young city trolls trying to get high on Slab!

Last one:

Moving Pictures I love the parody of Hollywood, and as much as I adore watching the movies I do find Hollywood as a franchise rather false. And it introduces Gaspode. I love Banged Grains as another name for Popcorn.

That is my list. Not comprehensive, but I can't think at the moment.

Mar 5, 2009
lancashire
favourite book

well it has to be any with the wonderful commander sam vimes and captain carrot, but if I had to choose it would be guards guards because its where we meet carrot for the first time, who wouldn't want a hero like him even if he is ginger :)

Mar 5, 2009
lancashire
favourite book

well it has to be any with the wonderful commander sam vimes and captain carrot, but if I had to choose it would be guards guards because its where we meet carrot for the first time, who wouldn't want a hero like him even if he is ginger :)

User Menu

Newsletter