Favourite?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
What's your favourite Discworld book? And why?

Sounds like a simple question, but with Terry's books it isn't. I've had favourites that I later didn't much care for and books I didn't much care for that have become favourites.

I love the way that Terry's books have become richer and deeper as the series has progressed and how the Disc has become a more 'real' place.

But my favourite is now and has been for some time: Small Gods.

Terry really looks into the belief system with this book. How a god becomes powerful not by what he/she/it does, but by human belief. A god is nothing without believers and gods are there for humanity and because of humanity.

Hat Full of Sky is another favourite, but for a very personal reason. It's the book that brought me and my wife Sharlene together. Sharlene used to own a bookstore and consequently had an advanced reading copy of the book. She had read it before anyone else on the board we were on at the time. I came across a copy in Tesco that had been put on display accidentally too early. So we started to write to each other about this book that we'd both read before anyone else - and the rest is history. :laugh:

What's your favourite Terry book? It doesn't have to be one of the Discworld series.

Throat

Jul 25, 2008
Derbyshire
Hmm... A single favourite is pretty hard to decide, and I spotted you you had two favourites Tonyblack. So I'm going to top you and have three.

Small Gods and Going Postal. Both probably for similar reasons in that the good (small) guy wins against the powers of evil (organised religion and big business). Going Postal fitted very much with my main indoor hobby (after avoiding jobs that is) of stamp collecting.

My other favourite is The Amazing Maurice. 'cos it's funny.

But I can't read any of them at the moment. I was being chivvied into reading one a month and I've found I need a rest from them. I'm hoping to get over this variant of "reader's block" in the near future.

Jul 26, 2008
On the page for voting why does it have several ntries for the same book but in different formats? I thought we're supposed to be voting for our favourite book not cover. o_O

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
EsMīluBaiba said:
On the page for voting why does it have several ntries for the same book but in different formats? I thought we're supposed to be voting for our favourite book not cover. o_O
Sorry EsMīluBaiba, are you referring to the home page to this site? I'm afraid I don't know the answer - you might try contacting the owners of the site. :)

Edit to add - you're right - the link says "Vote for your favourite Terry Pratchett novel" but it has different versions of the covers. So there's two versions of Colour of Magic for example. I can only assume they have done that so that no matter which version you have, you'll be easily able to find the book by the cover picture. I also assume that a vote on the Josh Kirby cover for Colour of Magic or the 'black' cover will count as one vote for the book.

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
My favourite Discworld book is definitely GOING POSTAL

I cant really say why but when I read it the first time I could hardly stop
and afterwards I thought it was the best book I had ever read and started again ...

It is funny, thoughtful, exciting and witty and I look forward to seeing it on a screen :laugh:

Masquerade! With an interest in theatre I get the parodies, references an recognise the situations and people. It also has the Witches and Greebo on top form with Agnes Nitt, who is a character I can very easily see in my friends(you know who you are! ;) )

Moving Pictures ties as a close second for the same reasons (bar the Witches) with Nightwatch (Terry has never been more insightful, thrilling, clever or better captured and delved into his regular characters) :laugh:

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Picking a single favorite Pratchett novel is impossible for me, I think, because they are so very different and because they deal with such different levels of complexity and seriousness.

For a sheer fun read, I'm torn between Masquerade with it's theatrical and operatic satire and seeing the witches as comic characters and oddly enough Thief of Time with it's improbably real characters who manage to save the world from deadening order and law.

And while I liked Small Gods, I really think that Thud! may be his best book thus far. The complexity and style of the writing, the insight into human nature and the indictment of self-righteous fundamentalism as a justification for murders, lies and whatever else is necessary to make one's own view of the truth prevail combined with the reality of what Koom valley really stands for--well it's so close to our present world with all our various self-confident, self-righteous political and religious leaders who have led us into something very close to catastrophe, that it's a bit frightening and marvellous. So that's why I think it's my favorite of the serious books.

And, of course, like Tony--Hat Full of Sky-- will always be a very special favorite, not only because I like the whole Tiffany series for what they have to say about human nature and growing up, but because this is the book that brought Tony and I together. As a bookstore owner at that time, I had an advance reading copy and no one to talk to about it--and Tony went into Tesco during the 2 hours that some clerk put the book on the shelf two weeks too soon. He got it, read it, and the rest is history. But, to borrow a phrase from another Pratchett novel--million to one chances always work.

I hate to pick a favourite.. But 'Guards! Guards!', being the first one i read, is the one that springs to mind. It has sentimental value for me and i LOVE Vimes. The Watch series is definitely my favourite series by default, the Witch my second favourite (Granny Weatherwax being my second favourite character). Another book that springs to mind is 'The Truth', which i always read when i'm going through the Watch series.. I find it fits in well.

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I'm a big Vimes fan, and I think Nightwatch is my favorite. And Pyramids is special because it was the first one I read, and I loved it -but on rereads, I haven't enjoied it quite as much as the watch books.

Twankydillo

Lance-Constable
Jul 26, 2008
Salford, England
Is it okay to have a few?

The Wee Free Men - It's a great story but, then again, they all are. I admire Terry for being able to write a young girl so well and I love the bits with Granny Aching. We never met her, but we never had to. And I love the Nac Mac Feegle!

Going Postal - Moist Von Lipwig is one of his best recent inventions! I love Adora Belle Dearheart too, and the Golems interest me.

I think it's easier to pick your best book for different categories - like your best Watch book and your best Witch book and your best Wizard book or Rincewind book.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I have to agree with rentawitch, that Night Watch is the better written book of the series so far. It is definitely my favourite Discworld book so far. It is the one that had me hooked the most while reading it. Also more than other Discworld books I recall more as something I experienced than something I just read.

I also liked the recent Radio 4 adaptation. (Though I did think the assasination of Winder could've been done better)

A close second for my favourite Discworld novel would be, Feet of Clay. I had read that at around the same time I was looking into Asimov, so I was in the right frame of mind for it when I picked it up.

Hegewych

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Soul Music - just because
and Masquerade - because it made me laugh out loud when I was on Holiday and people kept giving me funny looks.

User Menu

Newsletter