SPOILERS Feet of Clay Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
You didn't seriously believe that was a true quote, did you? :eek:
Yes I did. How was I to know you weren't being serious. As far as I know, you had a proof copy. :rolleyes:

You have no idea how annoyed I was when I read that post yesterday.

A

Anonymous

poohcarrot said:
I did follow it with a laughing out loud smilie. :laugh:

I mean, "Gobbo the Goblin?" :laugh:
UA gave us an orc and a footballgoddess floating in mid-air kissing her beloved one...your point?

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Tonyblack said:
poohcarrot said:
You didn't seriously believe that was a true quote, did you? :eek:
Yes I did. How was I to know you weren't being serious. As far as I know, you had a proof copy. :rolleyes:

You have no idea how annoyed I was when I read that post yesterday.
Last week (I think) WWD posted a twitter from Rob saying Snuff was finished and going to the printers that day. How could I possibly have a proof already? :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't recall reading that post about the book going to the publishers, although I did think it was a little early for you to get a copy.

The question is - why? Why post the comment if it isn't true?

Tell you what - don't bother answering. Let's just try and get the discussion going again and try and keep it on topic.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
raisindot said:
it seems to prove that the decline in Pterry's writing powers that was quite evident in UA is sadly continuing. :cry:
I really don't care to read lines like that from anyone on this board. What was evident from UA was that the man is still brilliant. Presumably you think Pyramids was written under the influence of some terrible degenerative disease?

When you can do better, I'd like to hear from you on this. Otherwise, please keep such patheitic and offensive opinions to yourself.

A

Anonymous

Dotsie said:
raisindot said:
it seems to prove that the decline in Pterry's writing powers that was quite evident in UA is sadly continuing. :cry:
I really don't care to read lines like that from anyone on this board. What was evident from UA was that the man is still brilliant. [...]
To me that was evident from his public appeareances after UA, but not from the book itself. Just take the newly introduced concepts which stop working once one starts thinking about them. Something that has never happened before in Discworld (not counting MM) and to my knowledge didn't happen in ISWM. It's plain odd and puzzling.

But to get this back on track:

Finished listening to the first disc of the aforementioned uncut german audiobook. Marvellous. Heard things I didn't even remember from the book :eek:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It seems to me that this book was, to a degree, a parody of detective novels etc. I think, but I'm not sure, that there were some references to famous murder books and the methods used. The one that springs to mind is Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose'. But the idea of poisoned wallpaper rings a bell with me as well. o_O

I've read a book by someone called Caleb Carr that deals with the idea that the last image seen by a murdered person is recorded in the eyes.

There is also a comment in there that seems to be about Sherlock Holmes style of detection and I love the A-Team reference. :laugh:

Did anyone else spot any more references?

A

Anonymous

Tonyblack said:
There is also a comment in there that seems to be about Sherlock Holmes style of detection
I think I know which one you mean and to be honest if it is that one I have to say it always bothered me a bit. After all, everything follows a certain basic logic. Even AM
Was the bit you meant the one about Vimes musing how one can't go and say that someone with a tattoo has to be a sailor as there is the chance of that bloke just getting the bloody thing after a long night of drinking?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
LilMaibe said:
Tonyblack said:
There is also a comment in there that seems to be about Sherlock Holmes style of detection
I think I know which one you mean and to be honest if it is that one I have to say it always bothered me a bit. After all, everything follows a certain basic logic. Even AM
Was the bit you meant the one about Vimes musing how one can't go and say that someone with a tattoo has to be a sailor as there is the chance of that bloke just getting the bloody thing after a long night of drinking?
Yes indeed. :)

A

Anonymous

As said, that always bothered me. After all, wouldn't the bloke then likely try to cover it somehow to be not thought to be a sailor?

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Hi. :laugh: As you may have noticed I don't ususally join in these book discussions. I tend to reread DW books out of order when you guys are reading them.. also I love to discuss books face to face. But sometimes I scan what you are talking about.

With reference to Pooh's comment about TP's "planning" ahead his books, I personally don't know that he has great plots mapped out in intricate detail ala some other authors (remember seeing or reading something to that effect years ago) but I do think he is a traveller in DW who takes us on his journey (read something like that too said by his Sir-ship).

What I do remember is that when I came to DW I was quite a few books behind and read them all up to the most recent published (at the time) in one go. So imagine how godlike I thought this man was when I found a small casual reference to something 6 or 7 books before in the book I was reading. I can't remember what it was or what book etc... I just remember it wasn't something major or a major plot device... just something so minor and unimportant..... As my daughter was a DW addict as well we hunted back through the books to find it,... and we did.

It was like having a dinner party with friends and you suddenly remember you friend of 20 years played the trombone for one semester in music class in high school.

I also remember TP talking once about how he was so indebted that so many of his fans DO do his chronology for him... things HE can reference that he had forgotten about.

A bit like Star Trek fans who challenge the writers at SFCons huh? And hence one more reason I suspect I don't get toooooo involved in these threads. TP is a mere mortal. An amazing author yes. But so often WE the fans pull his books apart word by word, phrase by phrase trying to discover secret writings, (and easy enough to do too since he DOES hide alot of references and puns in his books), read between the lines.... trying to second guess him on the future of the DW.

As to his ability as an author with his "buggerence" hanging over him? Lets not be patronising. We all like or dislike one or another of his books. Personally I was not a HUGE fan of AU. But I loved ISWM. Every author has good and bad books. Every author has fans who like and dislike this or that book. Lets not get too blase about the sheer VOLUME of work he has published in the DW series alone.

I am sure he would not be offering his books up for publication if he thought they were not worthy of his readers (nor would his close associates let him flounder like that). He has too much self-respect and respect for us.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
deldaisy said:
With reference to Pooh's comment about TP's "planning" ahead his books, I personally don't know that he has great plots mapped out in intricate detail ala some other authors (remember seeing or reading something to that effect years ago) but I do think he is a traveller in DW who takes us on his journey (read something like that too said by his Sir-ship).
The obvious example of TP's planning ahead is Interesting Times.
At the end of the book, Rincewind finds himself in Oz. Then 5 books later TP writes the Last Continent. :p

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Well of course pooh ;) There was always going to be a Last Continent! Given that Australia (or someplace somewhat very similar to Australia) is his most favourite bestest happiest place to be EVER! :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
He didn't really have to plan that very carefully though, did he? "I'll put Rinso in Oz, then maybe later if I can think up a good plot I'll write a book on it". It's like Raising Taxes - he's set it up, but it might never get written if he can't think up a good enough plot.

I think his planning is very much a "maybe later, maybe never" kind of thing.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Like Del says even his really early stuff is full of little details that get resurrected many, many books later on. Oldest one I can think of is Leshp which is mentioned once in a throwaway in LF (I think or perhaps CoM even - Twoflower's in it anyway) and then up it pops quite literally in Jingo.

What we should surmise from this is that not only does Terry have the mind of a chess grandmaster but also that perhaps he re-reads his books occasionally too...? :twisted: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter