SPOILERS Feet of Clay Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 26, 2011
Bingen
www.flickr.com
Ohhh.... I'm looking forward to that one.

@Tony:

The wallpaper thing in FoC is a double reference (or at least I think so and the Annotated Pratchett File agrees on that).
One is to "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, which I have never read (but my girlfriend had to and she told me the plot.)
The other reference is to the GREEN colour on the wall:
Omniscient Wikipedia said:
Copper acetoarsenite was used as a green pigment known under many names, including 'Paris Green' and 'Emerald Green'. It caused numerous arsenic poisonings. Scheele's Green, a copper arsenate, was used in the 19th century as a colouring agent in sweets.[

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
ChristianBecker said:

@Tony:

The wallpaper thing in FoC is a double reference (or at least I think so and the Annotated Pratchett File agrees on that).
One is to "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, which I have never read (but my girlfriend had to and she told me the plot.)
Copper acetoarsenite was used as a green pigment known under many names, including 'Paris Green' and 'Emerald Green'. It caused numerous arsenic poisonings. Scheele's Green, a copper arsenate, was used in the 19th century as a colouring agent in sweets.[
The dumb waiter plot rings a bell with me as well. I'm not a great reader of mysteries, but I have the feeling that there are certainly a few referenced in this book.

I loved the bit about not being able to find clues because of all the fingerprints. :laugh:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
ChristianBecker said:

@Tony:

Napolean is supposed to have been poisoned by the green wallpaper in his bedroom on St Helena

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Did anyone find the 'gotcha' moment when Vimes claimed to prove that Dragon had poisoned the candles to be a little bit lame?

After all, Vimes had been accusing him of poisoning the candles all along, and Dragon had been providing a rather strong alibi to prove he had nothing do with it.

Then, when Dragon starts weakening, he looks at the candles in his study and accuses Vimes of poisoning them. Vimes says that Dragon's glance proves his guilt. How does it, though? If Vimes hadn't mentioned the poisoned candles at all during their conversation and Dragon had glanced at the holy water candles, there might have a been a case to make (the old "I never told you how Colonel Mustard was murdered. How did you know that someone bludgeoned him with a candlestick in the library?" gambit.) But Vimes had already told him how the poisoning occurred.

I also found it quite a bit stretching that Dragon wouldn't have immediately known that Vimes was in his study when he returned. Or that he didn't immediately turn into a swarm of bats when Dorfl grabbed him. (How the Watch would have been able to even keep him inside a cell is a challenge in itself).

Apr 26, 2011
Bingen
www.flickr.com
Can't remember the scene exactly, since I'm not that far, yet. But if it is like you say, then it is really a bit lame.

On the other hand Dragon DID come up with the motto Art brought forth the candle/ Ars enixa est candelam - that nearly is a confession in itself.

A bit off topic: Pterry often uses Latin-ish phrases and most of the time they're not correct (for humourous reasons or for the readers the better to understand them.) But I always wondered about Ars enixa est candelam. Who thought this one up for Pterry (who, if I remember correctly, does not know Latin)? Not only is it correct latin, "eniti" is also quite an uncommon word (I had never before seen it and I studied Latin).
I really marvelled at that motto.

Apr 26, 2011
Bingen
www.flickr.com
As The Mad Collector said.
Here in more detail:

Ars, artis feminine = Art (as in a work of art)
eniti, enitor, enixus sum = to bring forth (enixa because ars is feminine, est because it's thrid person singular); enixus sum/ enixa est is (roughly) present perfect.
candela, ae, f.`= candle (candelam because it is accusative case and eniti is a transitive verb)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, I realised that it was Art Brought Forth the Candle, it's just that Vimes seems to make such a point about the translation that I thought I was missing something.

Oh well. :)

Apr 26, 2011
Bingen
www.flickr.com
I think the point Vimes is making is that it was quite nasty of Dragon to put the solution to to the riddle how the patrician was poisoned right there in front of him in the first place. But it was so well hidden (in a way) that he didn't spot it.

Arsenix(a) est candel(am) - The arsenic is the candle. Add to that the poisonous lamp (lamp au poisson) on top of the crest.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
ChristianBecker said:
I think the point Vimes is making is that it was quite nasty of Dragon to put the solution to to the riddle how the patrician was poisoned right there in front of him in the first place. But it was so well hidden (in a way) that he didn't spot it.

Arsenix(a) est candel(am) - The arsenic is the candle. Add to that the poisonous lamp (lamp au poisson) on top of the crest.
:laugh: Ah! Yes, now I can see it. I thought the must be more to it than that.

You'd never think that I enjoyed doing cryptic crosswords, would you? :oops:

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
raisindot said:
Did anyone find the 'gotcha' moment when Vimes claimed to prove that Dragon had poisoned the candles to be a little bit lame?

After all, Vimes had been accusing him of poisoning the candles all along, and Dragon had been providing a rather strong alibi to prove he had nothing do with it.

I also found it quite a bit stretching that Dragon wouldn't have immediately known that Vimes was in his study when he returned. Or that he didn't immediately turn into a swarm of bats when Dorfl grabbed him. (How the Watch would have been able to even keep him inside a cell is a challenge in itself).
JIB, I think you missed the point Terry was making here--the Dragon has been taunting Vimes with his link to the poisoned candles since the beginning because he believes Vimes is too dumb to see what he has put out for all to see. And Dragon as much as admits that his glance at the candles plus his "sudden weakness" means he knows about the candles. He denies their effect and also, and perhaps more importantly says "But who else saw me?" (i.e. - my word against yours)

As to your question about smell and swarms of bats, the obvious answer is that Terry needed that to be true. But vampires are not, I think, known for their sense of smell--rather for hearing. And the Dragon needed to be one big bat in order to attack Vimes (not a swarm).

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
swreader said:
JIB, I think you missed the point Terry was making here--the Dragon has been taunting Vimes with his link to the poisoned candles since the beginning because he believes Vimes is too dumb to see what he has put out for all to see. And Dragon as much as admits that his glance at the candles plus his "sudden weakness" means he knows about the candles. He denies their effect and also, and perhaps more importantly says "But who
I didn't miss the point, SW. While it was quite evident that Vimes saw all of these things, at best they would have added up to circumstantial evidence in a real court of law. The point I'm making is that Dragon's glance at the candles occurs AFTER Vimes accuses Dragon of creating the poisoned candles and poisoning Vetinari with them. In other words, had a trial occurred, Dragon could have said, "Vimes accused me of poisoning candles, which I did not do. I only glanced at the candles on the hall because I thought Vimes was doing to me what he falsely accused me of doing to Vetinari. Vimes planted the idea in my head. It never would have occurred to me to poison candles. All the symbols in the candlemaker's coat of arms were specifically requested by the candlemaker himself; I had nothing to do with creating them, and there's no way to prove it."

1. Vimes talks to Dragon about other things without mentioning the candles or the candlemaker
2. Dragon starts getting weaker
3. Vimes notices this weakness, and says that there's holy water somewhere in the room
4. Dragon looks at the candles, demonstrating that he knows about this poisoning method before Vimes has even spoken of it
5. Vimes calls him out on this as a final means of "proving" Dragon's complicity in combination with the other circumstantial evidence he's already gathered (the coat of arms, etc.)

From a procedural point of view, it's the equivalent of the last scene in a cop show when the suspect, who has effectively hidden his tracks to this time and looks like he can never be arrested, is about to be let go and then is tricked into admitting something about the murder that hasn't been released to the public and that only the murderer would have known.

A small point in the larger story, but since this is a literary discussion, it's fair game to bring up.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
raisindot said:
From a procedural point of view, it's the equivalent of the last scene in a cop show when the suspect, who has effectively hidden his tracks to this time and looks like he can never be arrested, is about to be let go and then is tricked into admitting something about the murder that hasn't been released to the public and that only the murderer would have known.

A small point in the larger story, but since this is a literary discussion, it's fair game to bring up.
But isn't that the point of this scene? The book is, to some degrees a pastiche of detective novels, crime stories TV shows and the ilk.

The confrontation scene is an important part of the genre. It might not be particularly realistic, but it is almost a tradition in such stories. :)

User Menu

Newsletter