For kindle and ebook owners

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Alanz

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2012
I got a Kindle for chrimbo got a couple of books from Amazon Long Earth plus Johnny and the Bomb :laugh: But already said that on another page :laugh: :laugh:

Joolz

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Blyth Northumberland
This is the best pound I've spent this year.."Is That You Angus" by Fergus O'Connell :laugh: :laugh:

"If you have ever been stuck in a traffic jam on a major road during Friday afternoon and seen motorcycles laden down with tents and sleeping bags. You must have wondered just what those strange looking fellows are up to? This story may well help to explain a little about them and their antics.
The actual journey is richly interspersed with the reminiscences of a life spent in hedonistic worship of all that is fun. It is principally a humorous tale, written in a light hearted style.
The journey begins in Grimsby and ends in Gairloch on the North West Coast of Scotland.
It is a work of some truth and some imagination and no Scotsmen were hurt or insulted during the production of this book. Honest."

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Not sure how long this is available, but this ebook - Dining With the Doctor (Dr Who cookbook) is free at the moment. :)

Product Description

Hello, sweetie.

Your taste buds are about to take a wibbly wobbly, timey wimey adventure through the 2005 Doctor Who reboot. Megafan and food writer Chris-Rachael Oseland spent a year rewatching all of series one through six and experimenting in her kitchen to bring you a fresh recipe for every single episode.

This book is a treat for any Whovian who wants to offer more than a plate of fish fingers and a bowl of custard at your next viewing party. Want to host an elegant dinner party to show off your new Tardis corset? Start the evening with a Two Streams Garden Cocktail followed by Baked Hath, Marble Cucumber Circuits with Vesuvian Fire Dipping Sauce, Professor Yana’s Gluten Neutrino Map Binder, Slitheen Eggs, and some of Kazran’s Night Sky Fog Cups for dessert.

If you’re just getting a few friends together to watch the latest episode, why not offer them an Ood Mezze Plate to munch on as stragglers wander in followed by some quick and easy Fish Custard Tacos, Open Faced Dalek Ironsides, Sontaran Soldiers, and a Cinnamon Pull Apart Crack in the Wall. They can wash it all down with a cup of the Pond’s Wedding Punch.

Lets be honest. No Whovian gathering is complete without them, so you also get an entire bonus chapter dedicated to interesting alternative takes on fish fingers and custard.

This comprehensive cookbook includes eighteen adult beverages, more than two dozen recipes for vegetarians, twenty that are safe for people with wheat allergies, and ten for the low carb dieters. You’ll be prepared for every possible guest.

The ebook also includes over 50 full color photos, a linked table of contents for easy navigation, and a useful appendix.

Put on your fez and straighten your bow tie. You own a cookbook now. Cookbooks are cool.

Geronimo!

TripleD

Feb 15, 2013
Nanning, China
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'd like to ask an e-book related question.

I recently purchased an e-book copy of "Nation", my favourite non-discworld book, from Kobo. I was dismayed to see that the digital copy contained none of the artwork from the book. The drawings gave the paper version a lot of personality, particularly the juxtaposition of the maps at the front and back cover being a subtle, non-verbal way to show one of the books messages.

I've checked Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other e-book sites, but their web previews each seem to indicate the same problem. I realize that all e-stores probably sell products derived from the same master copy, but is anyone aware of a different version? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi there TripleD and welcome to the site. :)

I don't know the answer to your question, but would suggest that you contact Transworld, Terry Pratchett's publisher. If anyone knows, it'll be them.

Good luck!

TripleD

Feb 15, 2013
Nanning, China
Thanks Tonyblack, glad to be here.

I've just sent Transworld an e-mail asking whether they know of a version with Paul Kidby's work. Weirdly enough, the web "preview" of the paperback on their website does have the illustrations in them, so they must be sitting on someone's computer over there. I'll let the forum know what the response is.

TripleD

Feb 15, 2013
Nanning, China
Sorry for taking so long to reply.

About two weeks back I got an e-mail from someone named Kirstin Armstrong at Random House publishing. She'd asked around about my problem, but as far as she could tell all the ebook versions they were selling had illustrations. She asked if I could look at the publisher listed on my copy.

I opened up my ipad and sure enough it said "Harper Collins". Apparently the American publisher puts out their own digital copy, one that sadly lacks the illustrations.

To fix the problem all I had to do was go to the Kobo store and change my profile location to the U.K. I found, "Nation", purchased it again, and sure enough there were the illustrations!

Hope this helps anyone else who might be having the same problem I was.

taylorra

Jan 17, 2014
I have seen lots of ebooks on ebay with traders advertising that they have resell rights. Does this mean I can just buy their ebook and resell it on ebay with no comebacks? There dosen't appear to be copyrights on these cook ebooks and I;m wondering how some sellers can say that they have resell, does it mean they are the author of the ebook? please advise.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Are you talking about the actual reader device, or the content?

I've got a Kindle (nah, nah, Pip!!) and most of the copyright notices state that the author owns it in current electronic form and any other form/device yet to be invented.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
DRM free (Tor are one of the few publishers that do them) ebooks can be sold on , based on the assumption you don't keep a copy once selling.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
This one's for you Pip. Thing 1 got the first in the Dork Diaries series for Christmas. She's dying to read the second one now, and I thought I could grab it from the library, but was surprised that they didn't have it. I told her she'd have to wait for me to get to the store to pick up a copy. Or, if she was feeling impatient, we could download the e-book to her tablet. She said, "No. I want the book please." :laugh: Thought of you Pip! :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter