SPOILERS Going Postal Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Anyhow Jan, you pointed out my mistake, and I pointed out that you (proof reader par excellence) had missed my mistake in my previous post. Therefore we were even.

You then tried to bait me, but I refused the bait because I don't make a habit of correcting people, unless there's a reason.

You then called me a name, so in self-defence I had to point out that you seemed to be having trouble with your apostrophes.

Game over! :p

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hmmm - maybe... ;)

poohcarrot said:
That little interchange was like that old S&M joke.

The masochist said whip me, and the sadist said no. :p

(I think there's a "C" in it somewhere, but there might not be.)

Oh, and by the way Jan, you seem to be having trouble with your apostrophes. :laugh:
I thought that too & there is indeed a 'C'. 2 of 'em in fact - obsolescence :rolleyes: I did try it with 1 'C' but it didn't look right... :laugh:

poohcarrot said:
Anyhow Jan, you pointed out my mistake, and I pointed out that you (proof reader par excellence) had missed my mistake in my previous post. Therefore we were even.

You then tried to bait me, but I refused the bait because I don't make a habit of correcting people, unless there's a reason.

You then called me a name, so in self-defence I had to point out that you seemed to be having trouble with your apostrophes.

Game over! :p
You were keeping score Pooh??!!!! :eek: Bloody hell! ;)

Apostrophes always play merry hell with me TBH (even when I haven't slept for 4 days on the trot), which is why I edit so much :rolleyes: :laugh:

Glad to know you don't correct all the time and like hoary ole chestnut S&M jokes :twisted:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Jan Van Quirm said:
Apostrophes always play merry hell with me TBH (even when I haven't slept for 4 days on the trot), which is why I edit so much :rolleyes: :laugh:

Glad to know you don't correct all the time and like hoary ole chestnut S&M jokes :twisted:
ehm... what TBH and S&M mean? o_O: o_O:

kakaze said:
I thought S&M meant "salmon and Marmite" :eek:
oh Dear... um no. There is a club in Rockford called the SM and SF club... it's a very popular club who have charity events all the time and do Fireworks for the 4th of July and all... it is a constant source of enjoyment for children and adults alike, trying to figure out the meaning... Well, I married into a family who belong to it now... it takes all the fun out of it once you know it means "Swedish Music & Sick Friends" Leave it to the Swedes to name a club something like that. Pants Pants Pants Pants

Good club tho, they make drinks which are like "oh you just wanted MORE than a whiff of soda mixed in? well, I shall need a larger glass then." Two of them and I was Wiped out. This is after my retirement from drinking in 1997 after achieving Professional status... though I think back then Chris.ph could have given me a run for my money.

kieray

May 23, 2010
glasgow
alright without judging the characters morals i would just like to say i found this book very entertaining. moist to me is unsympathetic at the beginning but at the end to me he is at least the good guy

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree - Moist is not a particularly sympathetic character to start with, but he grows during the book and discovers a side of himself that he didn't realise he had. He realises that he can use his 'talents' for good purposes instead of just taking advantage of people. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
I agree - Moist is not a particularly sympathetic character to start with, but he grows during the book and discovers a side of himself that he didn't realise he had. He realises that he can use his 'talents' for good purposes instead of just taking advantage of people. :laugh:
In Going Postal, Moist NEVER stops taking advantage of people. Instead of simply grifting their money and leaving them with nothing of value, he simply grifts their money and leaves them with something of dubious value. After all, do people really need to pay a hard-earned dollar to send a letter to Genua? Not really, but he convinces them that if they don't do it, they'll be left out of something 'big.'

By the end of the story, he may have become a respectable businessesman, but, from a moral point of view, his only major change is that instead of grifting on a small scale for petty self-satisfaction, he grifts on a large scale not because he really cares about the Grand Trunk, but because he wants to pull the ultimate gift on the penultimate grifter, Reacher Gilt. Moist's grift is a personal vendetta, not a righteous crusade, and he's the first to admit it.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter