SPOILERS Going Postal Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Going Postal

I don't care :) Have read the book a few times but but but the Brisbane Arts Theatre are doing a performance of "Going Postal" here this month. Yay! Yay! Yay! I saw their performance of "The Truth" and oh oh oh it was wonderful. October is going to be such a lovely month :)

madam

Lance-Constable
Feb 10, 2010
KevJB said:
Here is where I post my unprovable theory that Lipwig is actually Vetinari's illegitimate son from his wild youth in uberwald.
Me likey this theory :laugh: . Although the really important question is this: does Vetinari know? I doubt Margo would tell him if kev's theory was the case.

as for being half vampire, why not? His vampirism could just manifest itself a prodigious talent for manipulating people, and vampires are nothing if not naturally manipulative. As for the rest (sunlight, superspeed, fangs etc) perhaps the genetics just couldn’t be bothered, and being fiercely non violent he's never needed them. :laugh:

its very unlikely, but hey it is fiction after all.

Jason said:
I've not really got time to do this now but while it's in my head.

I've always thought that Moist and William de Worde are almost the same character but written from opposite directions. William is the one that wants to be better than his father and Moist becomes better by circumstance. Both strives to be better than they are.

I think that William can almost be seen as a prototype Moist as Moist seems to have more personality and flair.
I agree.

I liked both of these books a great deal more than I was expecting too. Maybe because of the introductions to new characters or whether it's because they focus on more mundane proffesions than Magic (Witches or Wizards) or Supernatural or Detective work (Death or the Watch).

Also I am surprised that there was no appearance by Dibbler, if not trying to get in on the game like in The Truth, but then just in the crowd scenes where Pterry said people were bound to be selling things!

I like how Vimes was talked about but never heard. Also you come Angua is in the Sky adaptation, haven't seen it yet, when she is hardly in the book, and only then she is just in doggie form?

I just want to add with awith all the people hating on Moist, do we not enjoy films and shows like Oceans Eleven, Hustle, The Grifters to name just a few. We admire them because of what they can get away with even though it's wrong.

Yeah they steal from rich people but they still spend it themselves.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Agree with you there, DaveC.

People like characters in movies (or stories) where the rich (or evil) get grifted by those who aren't as rich (or evil).

However, it would be impossible for anyone other than a sociopath to like a con man whose actions result in financial hardship for a poor person or someone who gets blamed for a crime.

That's why Pterry had to make Spike the victim of one of Albert Spangler's grifts, so he (and we, as reader) would no longer be able to rationalize or even admire his actions as those of a simple con man whose victims deserved what they got. He needed a moral comuppance, if only to make him choose a path that would help him understand why he was different than Reacher Gilt.

And it was important that Spike told him about her firing after he had already donated his robbery money to the city. So readers could see that he could change his shorts as something other than an atonement for putting Spike out of work.

J-I-B

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Going Postal, and its sequel, Making Money, remain amongst my absolute favourite Discworld books. Why? I think one of the things that I enjoy about Moist von Lipwig is that he is great at improvising and succeeding with his improvised plans. I love characters who do that, like the Doctor, or Miles Vorkosigan. And yes, I do understand that he needed a moral comeuppance. Otherwise, he would have kept ignoring the consequences of his actions, or at least those not directly pertaining to him. At least he was honest enough (irony, much?) to divulge what he did to Adora in the end.

User Menu

Newsletter