SPOILERS Going Postal Discussion *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

kieray

May 23, 2010
glasgow
raisindot said:
Tonyblack said:
I agree - Moist is not a particularly sympathetic character to start with, but he grows during the book and discovers a side of himself that he didn't realise he had. He realises that he can use his 'talents' for good purposes instead of just taking advantage of people. :laugh:
In Going Postal, Moist NEVER stops taking advantage of people. Instead of simply grifting their money and leaving them with nothing of value, he simply grifts their money and leaves them with something of dubious value. After all, do people really need to pay a hard-earned dollar to send a letter to Genua? Not really, but he convinces them that if they don't do it, they'll be left out of something 'big.'

By the end of the story, he may have become a respectable businessesman, but, from a moral point of view, his only major change is that instead of grifting on a small scale for petty self-satisfaction, he grifts on a large scale not because he really cares about the Grand Trunk, but because he wants to pull the ultimate gift on the penultimate grifter, Reacher Gilt. Moist's grift is a personal vendetta, not a righteous crusade, and he's the first to admit it.

J-I-B
i think thats why i like him he's abit like a skilled and lucky cmot dibbler

I thought Moist was brilliant. Despite the vast array of characters from the DW series, Moist is one of my favourites. OK, he is a swindler, a con man, a thief, a habitual liar, he cheats, he robs, (OK, fair enough, I can see why some might find him despicable), and generally takes what he can from the unsuspecting marks he finds. However, one thing that these marks generally do suspect is that they are getting something for nothing. That they may well just be actually getting that nice big fat sausage to go with the sizzle. Moist played on this greed, (Forgery not withstanding of course :rolleyes: ), and exploited it. (One of the reasons the BBC series Hustle was so popular).

And of course, in his own words he's not Reacher Gilt. That's important.

Addams

Lance-Constable
Jul 16, 2009
Haaa, one of favorite Pratchett book. Moist is such an interesting character, at least we have a real rascal, a scoundrel, a scalawag, a glorious and fantastic bastard.

And what more ideal start for this kind of man than a good old fashioned hanging ? :laugh:

And of course, in his own words he's not Reacher Gilt
That resumes quite perfectly the character.

KevJB

Oct 1, 2010
Here is where I post my unprovable theory that Lipwig is actually Vetinari's illegitimate son from his wild youth in uberwald.

User Menu

Newsletter