going postal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Squig

Lance-Constable
Aug 12, 2010
Manchesterland
Hey I'm new to the forum, and as an avid Pratchett fan, I should have probably registered many many moons ago, but hey ho. Now I'm probably going to be shouted at for my comments... a lot... but I feel I need to say my piece so here goes. If you've NOT watched this OR read Making Money DON'T read this as there is a little spoiler at the end!!!

I watched this when fist aired and was expecting great things of it after feeling rather disappointed with the COM adaptation (although the gripes I have with that can be largely rationalised with merging 2 novels into one film), however it would appear that this adaptation had no real interest in remaining true to the original novel, other than in name and the very broadest of scopes.
I understand that any screen adaptation requires large concessions to be made as a "true" screen version would be 10 or more hours of film (which would press even the largest and hardiest of bladders), but so much of the original storyline and plot structure has been chopped and /or changed a viewer could, if not for the name and characters, be forgiven for mistaking this for a completely separate production.
Most of the casting was done well, with some exceptions... has Richard Coyle ever read the novel, where on the Disc was Moist's people skills or charisma? In my mind the character plays people like a violin is played by a master. Not in this series, however... and where in the book did Adora become a Cracker?
I digress slightly as my main gripe stems from the little changes that remove most of the "throw-away"humour that typifies Mr Pratchett's work, e.g. Siscal twostep/ Hemp fandango line that in the book had me merrily chuckling, but in the small screen, having been cut, set the tone for the rest of the adaptation.
I could go on and on and on, but I'd end up highlighting almost every change that pulls the screen version further and further from what could have been a faithful big budget version of one of my favourite Discworld novels. I guess if you'd never read the book you could be forgiven for deriving a great deal of enjoyment from this bank-holiday entertainment, but as a huge Pratchett fan I feel let down, especially as a rendition of Making Money has been slightly spoiled as well (Moist thought Nobby was the werewolf until a goodly way into Making Money).
As said I don't expect everyone to share my views, but I refuse to subscribe to any "I'm a big fan therefore it was great" rubbish.

Sorry to anyone this upsets, but I honestly hope a greater effort is made in any future productions to stick closer to a great story and include more of the humour for which, I'm sure, we love these books.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
My puns were Squigged! :eek:

Hi Squig and welcome

Sorry to be pedantic, but I take it you mean Going Postal, not Making Money, don't you?. o_O

Nice rant though! :laugh: I haven't seen it, don't particularly want to, or I would probably say the same as you. I've only watched COM and I thought it was awful. But then again, I refuse to even listen to the audio books because I have my own versions of the characters in my head and don't want them spoiled.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Hi there Squig - awesome first post!
Very meaty :laugh:

We might argue on your PoV but we'll only 'shout' at you ironically ;) For instance I agree with you that Moist's a master, just not on the violin... My opinion is that he's a master amongst petty crooks, who uses people and ends up barely changing at all, but happens to be onside for Vetinari's enlightened regime by dint of the only other alternative being the hemp fandango (no smoking involved ;) ). He thinks he only hurts greedy or venal people and thoroughly deserves to have Adora and Mr. Pump twanging his normally amoral conscience. I don't like him at all really and the charm factor irritates me, rather than mitigates.

I haven't read Making Money - I will, but not because it's a Moist vehicle, because Terry writes an excellent story regardless and Vetinari's in my top 3 fave characters. I didn't watch Going Postal at all (nor Hogfather, nor CoM) and probably never will, but that's because I don't really watch TV anymore, not because I'm never going to be a Moist fan. The clips looked the bizness and most people on here seemed to enjoy it on some level, but I fully agree that it's always a shame when the film doesn't live up to the book - very few really do. And when you don't like the hero much anyway it's not a big attraction to sit down for 3 hours when I know what's going to happen (mostly). :laugh:

Squig

Lance-Constable
Aug 12, 2010
Manchesterland
Thanks Jan, got to say I would heartly recommend Making Money as it's an excellent read (but which Discworld book isn't :laugh: ), oh and speaking of which, does anyone know the recipe for thplot?

Squig

Lance-Constable
Aug 12, 2010
Manchesterland
I was angling for a whale of a time, and although I didn't want to rock the boat I did want to make a splash with my first post. It seems that I've landed a good forum, even if the puns are a little wet.

:laugh:

Avast, ye, Squig. Sorry about the late welcome, but it's better late than never . I hope you feel you have a plaice here in a forum and don't leave us. That would cause much g-reef. I hove you enjoy yourself and mybe even have an elver(That's a baby eel, right?)(that was the lamest pun I've ever made in my life. elver- 'ell of a) time.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Squig said:
I was angling for a whale of a time, and although I didn't want to rock the boat I did want to make a splash with my first post. It seems that I've landed a good forum, even if the puns are a little wet
Hellooo and welcome! :laugh: Please don't blame huss for all these puns, we just like to skate on fin ice now and again!

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter