going postal

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

madam

Lance-Constable
Feb 10, 2010
the race to uberwald in the movie- am i right in thinking that the destination is the town of Bonk?

(more importantly do they show it in the film?ive been obsessed with uberwaldy stuff since fifth elephant and this is probobly the closest i'll get to seeing it on film. sometimes i love exectutive plot meddling:) )

there's a fiver riding on the answer to this question- me and my friend love discworld but neither of us have sky so we're loosing a lot of money to each other making bets on what the movie is actually like. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think I'm right in saying that the race is to an unmentioned place in Uberwald (in the movie). Of course it's to Genua in the book.

And no, we don't get to see the place it's going to in the movie. :)

lothlann

Lance-Constable
Jul 3, 2010
Southampton, UK
Im just about to watch it, Im looking forward to it. Who plays Vetinari in this one? I thought Jeremy Irons was very good in the Colour of Magic.

Incidentally, I got a HD version off a private torrent tracker I use. If anyone wants an invite to it send me a pm and il try to sort it out.

Syanin

Jul 9, 2010
Hello, first time posting.

I enjoyed the film. I was upset a bit by Angua, but aside her transformation I thought she was pretty good. This also ruins Moist figuring out she is the werewolf in Making Money.

Charles Dance was a great Vetinari .

Adora giving up smoking? Health wise good but out of character, still her actress was spot on.

Someone mentioned Stanley was not attacked in the fire but Groat was. Actually Stanley's scenes in the fire are in the book. What were missing is Groat being attacked and Tiddles Plus Golems are supposed to come running to put out fires.

We also loose out on the birth of Gladys.

I think the film captured the book's heart but lost alot in parts not included. The Ancient Golem , We could have had Cameos from Carrot and Vimes . As well as the UU and Mossy Lawn plus poor Otto is just a sight gag and not mentioned by name.

If you nit picky this movie will upset you. I think it captured Disc and the book it just left many things out , some of which were important.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Hi and Welcome to the site Syanin, for the few ommisions as with the other films I thought they were all good some I liked better than others.They don't have Hollywood budgets and Peter Jackson etc. I just think the MOB do a great job with the budget they have, so I won't moan or complain about them. :)

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
Yup, welcome! :)

I just watched it and I have to say, I loved it. As someone said before me, there's a movie I wouldn't be ashamed to present to my friends to get them into Discworld. I'm a little bit too much of a snob to have enjoyed Hogfather and TCOM :oops: but Going Postal was just spot on. Of course, all the changes you've mentioned bothered me, too. There were moments when I just stared at the screen in horror or shouted something along the lines of "Now that ain't right!" But still, I think it had the spirit of the book.

I did miss Mr. Tiddles, though. :(

Apr 29, 2009
London
Don't know if anyone is interested..... Play.com :

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal (Blu-ray)
£14.99 Free Delivery
Pre-order. | Due for release on 23/08/2010

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal: Special Edition (2 Discs)
£14.99 Free Delivery

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal
£11.99 Free Delivery

That's quite a choice!

User Menu

Newsletter