Good children's books...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

nattheweirdo

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
Devon, UK
I was read 'kensuke's kingdom' by michael morpurgo (sp?)in primary school and we all loved it. naything thign by him i think is great for kids. Especially considering some of his stories, like that one, he claims to be true :)

bikkit said:
We dont have any good books to read in school. We just finished Carrie's War. It almost killed me from bordom.
I loved Carries War and I read it at school - unfortunately I never found out what happened at the end and what the terrible thing that had caused her so much anguish as an adult that she had done ... I am going to buy the book and read it again. I loved it!

Nov 5, 2009
Children's Books???

I think I've got a full set of all Terry's books, and the beauty of the "children's books" is that they're not written like children's books - just imaginative and involving stories told in an easily readable language that is just as engaging for adults and includes some sophisticated ideas. My daughters didn't really get "Blomeliad" trilogy as junior school kids, but have run amuk with my entire Pratchett collection as teenagers (even bought me replacements after the original paperbacks got too dog-eared").

I think that is fantastic!! My father was an avid book reader/addict and I inherited it from him. I think Pratchett is Fantastic for teens to read, I am not all that fond of the Bromiliad trilogy and Johnny and the Dead is ok, but not really my cup of tea. His books make The World According to Garp seem extremely tame. I simply do everything I can to get kids, boys especially, interested in reading his work, it can lead to *gasp* intelligent more or less well-read teens.

I have quoted a couple of paragraphs from two different books on our paintball website, on the "About Us" page. It has actually gotten good response from parents and kids, well, except for the kids/young men who call it "Too Wordy".

Doh, p.s. Welcome to the site!! Love the name, BB King and Buddy Guy Rule!!

Cherry74

Nov 29, 2009
And on it goes....

I have read TP since CoM and have since read far and wide voraciously anything he's penned ( or tytped
lol ). My absolute pleasure is to pass on to my 10 year old son, my love of TP.
Following a 'Bookworm' project at school, Little one came home asking about childrens authors and saying he didn't want to do ' she who will not be named' as 99% of his classmates were.
So I went and bought him the Johnny Maxwell series and once I had read them, (much to littlies disgust lol ) He has gone on to do a fantastic powerpoint presentation on TP and got 50 house points for it ,woot! Btw, we don't harbour delusions of grandure, his school does lol )
I can most definatly put up with his little tinkles of laughter from the bedroom as he's caught in the thought provoking and sometimes tear provoking plots ( Jez how did I cry when Granny appeared to die, lol)
So can't wait for him to exhaust the 'young adult' catagory and get on to the Discworld proper!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: And on it goes....

Cherry74 said:
I have read TP since CoM and have since read far and wide voraciously anything he's penned ( or tytped
lol ). My absolute pleasure is to pass on to my 10 year old son, my love of TP.
Following a 'Bookworm' project at school, Little one came home asking about childrens authors and saying he didn't want to do ' she who will not be named' as 99% of his classmates were.
So I went and bought him the Johnny Maxwell series and once I had read them, (much to littlies disgust lol ) He has gone on to do a fantastic powerpoint presentation on TP and got 50 house points for it ,woot! Btw, we don't harbour delusions of grandure, his school does lol )
I can most definatly put up with his little tinkles of laughter from the bedroom as he's caught in the thought provoking and sometimes tear provoking plots ( Jez how did I cry when Granny appeared to die, lol)
So can't wait for him to exhaust the 'young adult' catagory and get on to the Discworld proper!
Welcome to the site Cherry74! :laugh:

Your little one has got a lifetime ahead of reading and Terry's books are a wonderful place to start! ;)

I still maintain that Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer) is an excellent children's series.

We dont have any good books to read in school. We just finished Carrie's War. It almost killed me from bordom.
Augghhh!!
Why do schools always manage to pick the most awful books for us to work on? So far we've had Lockie Leonard (*Blech*), Angel's Gate (*Yawn*), and Bend it like Beckham (*Beats self over the head with a welding mallet*)

Of course, the Discworld books aren't all suitable for kids (I'm not sure I want to read Wintersmith after the blurb) but so far the ones I've read seem quite good for kids, assuming, for example in Hogfather, they can get their heads around the philosophical-iness

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Always start 'em off young I say Cherry ;)

Quark - I resisted the Tiffany YA series for a long time as well. I finally succumbed after getting nagged for ages (by this lot) and can honestly say that although the focus is on young people there's barely a blip in the writing style and quality. Wintersmith's my favourite mostly :oops: (damn my romance addiction! How can a female resist the story of the Winter spirit falling for a young girl? :laugh: )

User Menu

Newsletter