Good children's books...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Grymm

Constable
Dec 4, 2009
Chilterns
My 10yr old...erm, well he was 8 when he started reading them, is a big fan of the Barnaby Grimes series
Barnaby Grimes: Curse of the Night Wolf
Barnaby Grimes: Return of the Emerald Skull
Barnaby Grimes: Legion of the Dead
Barnaby Grimes: Phantom Of Blood Alley
by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell all set in a psuedoVictorian London and since has gone on to the Edge Chronicles by the same chaps.
I've also read them, purely to see if they are suitable y'unnerstand, and would happily recommend them.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
As an avid reader of children's literature I am more than impressed with the selection of books I've seen here. Personally I recommend the children's novels by J R R Tolkien (Roverandum, Tales of the Perilous realms and the Hobbit is suitable for older children as well) Later in life they have a huge selection of Tolkien (Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion etc.).
The Roald Dahl books are great and he has also written many fantastic adults books. For anybody who has visited Dublin, read Roddy Doyl's children's trilogy. They are hilarious and original.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
I always liked the Wierdstone of Brisingamon but there was another one, prequel or sequel about the dwarfs and I can't remember it. Written by a guy called Green o_O: Anyone know what I mean?

I used to fancy the tall hero/tragic ani hero in black. Long before Strider came along...ahhh

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
MOB -Two children go and stay with a farmer relation. They go exploring and find a barrow. Sitting on the barrow is a dwarf and he takes them into many adventures where the outcome is to retreive the Godess Freja's necklace - the Wierdstone of Brisingamem. Elves in that if I remember rightly.

MOG - is where the children are still on the farm having had whooping cough and the baddies are after the wierdstone that the girl now owns.

Nice escapism.

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
A good, honest to goodness childrens' Christmas story is 'The story of Holly and Ivy' by Rumer Godden. Not pertinent to this season but worth finding if you can. I used to read it to my classes of 7 - 9 year olds in my teaching days and they adored it, as did I!

Jul 27, 2010
Children's Books :

1. Amazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
2. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
3. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
4. Curious George by Hans Augusto Rey
5. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
6. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
7. Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
8. Corduroy by Don Freeman
9. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
10. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

author3

Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Sunnydale Highschool
Redwall Brian Jacques
Cherub Robert Muchamore
Hendersons Boys Robert Muchamore
Wardstone Chronicles Joseeph Delaney
Young Bond Charlie Higson
Alex Rider Anthony Horowitz
Narnia C.S.Lewis
Edge Chronicles Paul Stewart
Demonata Darren Shan
Harry Potter J.k. Rowling
Maximum Ride James Patterson
Lord of the Rings J.R.R.Tolkien

author3

Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Sunnydale Highschool
I began reading this really cool book today called The Dead by Charlie Higson
It's about when this disease affects adults and teenagers over the age of 14
so all the people affected turn into zombies and try and kill everybody aged 12-14,It's a really good book but definitely for kids over the age of 12

User Menu

Newsletter