Good children's books...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Alrik Fassbauer

Lance-Constable
Jun 24, 2011
Germany
Many years ago, I had read to my younger sister the "Herdmans" book, which has the real name of "The best Christmas pageant ever !" and was written by one Barbara Robinson.

This is a true classic.

And it makes one think. In a similar way than Pterry's "Maurice and his educated Rodents" book.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Alrik Fassbauer said:
Many years ago, I had read to my younger sister the "Herdmans" book, which has the real name of "The best Christmas pageant ever !" and was written by one Barbara Robinson.

This is a true classic.

And it makes one think. In a similar way than Pterry's "Maurice and his educated Rodents" book.
I love that book! :laugh: It's one of Sharlene's favourites and she got me a copy.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
George McDonald wrote quite a few children's stories,from the early 1900's and Tolkien was said to have been inspired by him.
The Golden Key
The Wise Woman
The Light Princess
The Gray Wolf
Princess and the Goblin
Princess and Curdie

AuntyVague

Lance-Corporal
Nov 13, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I will have to look out for some of the stories by George McDonald.
In fact, I'll cut and paste a lot of this thread due to having a voracious young reader in the house and always being on the look out for new reading suggestions.

We've just discovered Eva Ibbotson via Journey to the River Sea and I have tucked away a couple more by her for Christmas. She tried the Owl Service by Alan Garner, but found the blend with mythology a bit hard to grasp just yet (I enjoyed re-reading it though :) )

She has also really enjoyed the Tiffany books, although I haven't handed over the last one just yet. Which probably just means that she has read it while I wasn't looking :rolleyes:

snowwhite

Dec 2, 2011
Little Doll Lost

I just finished reading a great children's book called Little Doll Lost. It is a perfect fantasy novel and reminded me a lot of Alice in Wonderland. It is the first book in a trilogy so I'm looking froward to the next edition. I bought it as an ebook on Amazon. Highly recommend! :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Re: Little Doll Lost

snowwhite said:
I just finished reading a great children's book called Little Doll Lost. It is a perfect fantasy novel and reminded me a lot of Alice in Wonderland. It is the first book in a trilogy so I'm looking froward to the next edition. I bought it as an ebook on Amazon. Highly recommend! :laugh:
Welcome to the site, snowwhite! :laugh:

Tris

Constable
Mar 25, 2012
Two good books for... maybe 10 years and up?

Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper

How to Survive Middle School by Donna Gephart

hattie

Constable
Jul 31, 2011
Austria
I just found a new little book series called "Joy of Spooking" by PJ Bracegirdle :)
I loved them and have thought about maybe asking if I could translte them into German...
It's like a toned down Ghost/ scary story for children and I thought it was really well written!! :)

konnichiwa

Lance-Constable
Dec 4, 2012
Finland
Narnia
Moomin (Tove Jansson)
H. C. Anderssens books
Astrid Lingrens books
Books from Mauri Kunnas (he's finnish childrens books author but his books have been translated to many languages, he has these pictures and his style of drawing is one of a kind hence one would always know it's his work)
Winnie the Pooh

and then there're lots of others also ^^

User Menu

Newsletter