I so wanna see this

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm excited that this is getting made ... but it's sad that it's only streaming on the Roku channel (which I have no access to). :(

Oh well ... if it's (eventually) released on DVD, I'd snap it up. If not ... oh well. (And no, I won't go on YouTube to see someone's pirated version. I have too much respect for Al).

What's there not to like about him, honestly? Both he and his band-members are very talented musicians. Al comes across in interviews as pretty humble (i.e. not arrogant, like so many celebrities nowadays). And he's been with the same band and manager for over 40 years, and never any drama -- so, obviously, they're all very down-to-earth, and love what they do. :)

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is that Al doesn't just do parodies of existing songs. In fact, most of his music is original -- or, at least, it's a "style-parody" (i.e. writing original music in the style of various music genres, like blues, doo-wop, heavy metal etc. One More Minute, about the break-up he had with his then girlfriend, is doo-wop. Generic Blues is a blues number. Bob is a song in the style of Bob Dylan, specifically "115th Dream" - and the lyrics are compromised solely of palindromes. Trigger Happy, a song about what happens when gun enthusiasts go completely amok, is a style parody of the early Beach Boys and "Back in the USSR" by the Beatles. And so on). ;)

Last edited:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I heard that Everything You Know Is Wrong was meant to be a stylistic parody of the songs of They Might Be Giants, rather than a spoof of any particular song. I first heard a snippet of that song from the closing credits of an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series, and I also reckon it'd make a good theme tune for QI, Howard Goodall's existing theme aside...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I actually got the Blu-Ray of the adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel yesterday. I'm hoping to watch that soon...

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yes, I saw this a couple of days ago. It doesn't actually tell us much.

I hope Val Kilmer does as hammy-but-fun job this time around (as Madmartigan) as he did last time. ;) But I agree with Ghost.

Please do a good job, Disney, or I'll never forgive you again for making so many SW films that it's even harder to keep track of them now. =P

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
OK, I just saw the trailer (which actually played on YouTube; the IMDB one refused to play for me). =\

I'm not sure what to think about this. The Marvel Thor is nothing like the mythological Thor. For a start, the mythic Thor isn't the head of the gods, and would never "protect them" (humans, I guess)? He was more concerned with gathering pretty baubles from the dwarves or playing tricks on the giants. =P

Just once, it'd be nice to see a Hollywood movie that depicts mythological gods as they really were: petty, jealous, and over-sexed. But I guess that wouldn't get the audience to sympathise with them. Rule One of Storytelling: ALWAYS get your audience to sympathise with the hero. ;)

So having said that, why not make a movie about the real Hephaestus/Vulcan/whatever? He's a god, but all the other gods make fun of him. He's never invited to their parties. And he gets revenge on them! (Bwahahaha!) :devil:

*looks around* What? Why does the hero always have to be some over-muscled sword-swinger? What's wrong with a hero who gets bullied and avenges himself? ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
However, from the Norse myth I've read, they've got Loki just right. :laugh: He does terrible things and everyone just says 'Oh Loki, you trickster!', and they all just let him get away with things.

User Menu

Newsletter